PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! THIS Is In the Dictionary?

Jolie Rouge
05-10-2003, 08:51 PM
"Bling-bling" will soon be entered into the Oxford English Dictionary.

What started out as hip-hop jargon has turned into slang. And it's not just for teenagers. CNN Headline News can't get enough of "bling-bling." Listen carefully and you'll hear it on ESPN commercials. Newsweek used it in its May 12 edition in an article on, of all things, Costco. Newsweek's exact phrase was "Ring up the bling." At Costco.

All of which has gotten the very proper people at the very proper Oxford English Dictionary interested in "bling-bling." And not just as a noun. They're interested in it as a verb and adjective, too!

What is "bling-bling"?

The Record, a newspaper serving Bergen County, N.J., explains it for the unhip: Coined in 1999 in a song titled "Bling-Bling" by a New Orleans rapper named B.G., it refers to big showy jewelry. It "sets off alarms at airports and goes bling when it collides with other bling," says The Record.

Who has "bling-bling"?

According to Record reporter Virginia Rohan, here's a list of who has it:

50 Cent has it.

Elizabeth Taylor dripped it.

Liberace flaunted it.

Carmela Soprano is a walking advertisement for it.

P. Diddy is real-life poster boy for it.

Jewelry designer Robert Verdi aspires to it.

and who doesn't (but thinks he does):

Vanilla Ice

You know a word is no longer cool and cutting edge and oh-so-MTV when it lands in the dictionary. You know it's crossed over when your mom starts using it in everyday conversation.

And what does Cash Money artist B.G. think about the word he coined way back when? He told MTV News, "'Bling-bling' will never be forgotten. So it's like I will never be forgotten. I just wish that I'd trademarked it, so I'd never have to work again."

He's right. It won't be forgotten. Once a word goes into the Oxford English Dictionary, it never comes out. Ever. "Bling-bling" will join a host of other hip-hop words: "jiggy," "bootylicious," "breakbeat," "dope," and "phat."

nlarson
05-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I thought it was gonna have HUSSY in there with Shancopp's picture right next to it!! (The one with her crown on!!)

Risa58
05-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I must be hopelessly uniformed. I've never heard ot it.

miccit
05-10-2003, 09:19 PM
A lot of my children's friends use those words. I hate them (the words not the kids).

suzziq03
05-10-2003, 09:55 PM
first time I ever heard this word was in the fruit roll up commercial when the kids older brother takes his roll up and when he goes to get another one it has a $ prize of 10,000 on the inside wrapper. then little brother moonwalks to his room saying " bling-bling".... other than that I havent heard it, although, I would rather hear bling bling than "kewl beans" ugh. lets just hope that one doesnt make it to the dictionary!

adair
05-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Well, it used to be that I would not buy a dictionary unless it had the words "merkin" and "abacedarian" in it. Since both of those words are now obsolete, guess I will have to buy one with "bling-bling" in it.
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/blobs/multi.gif

Gitty
05-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by adair
Well, it used to be that I would not buy a dictionary unless it had the words "merkin" and "abacedarian" in it. Since both of those words are now obsolete, guess I will have to buy one with "bling-bling" in it.
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/blobs/multi.gif What does merkin and abacedarian mean, Adair? I watch MTV alot so I have heard and know the slang words before and know what they mean. Thanks for keeping us informed!!!

adair
05-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Merkin - A pubic wig for women. [Alteration of obsolete malkin, lower-class woman, mop, from Middle English, from Malkin, diminutive of the personal name Matilda.]

Abacedarian - One who teaches or studies the alphabet

ocvachick
05-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Hmmm... interesting....

Gitty
05-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Thank you adair! I have a webster at my computer but none of these are in it. Maybe I should go buy a new one. Mine is from 1986. I know I'm missing alot now!

ahippiechic
05-11-2003, 08:20 AM
I think it should be in the dictionary, some of us use it a lot. And it doesn't just refer to big jewelry now, either, it's used to refer to someone's "whole look".