PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR driver Jerry Nadeau injured in practice crash

annie169
05-02-2003, 04:08 PM
RICHMOND, Va. -- Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau was injured, possibly seriously, when he crashed in practice Friday at Richmond International Raceway.

The 32-year-old driver from Danbury, Conn., did not appear to be moving when he was removed from his car strapped to a body board.

Nadeau was being fed oxygen through a bag when he was pulled from the car and placed in the ambulance.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Nadeau was taken to the Medical College of Virginia Hospitals in Richmond with what doctors said was "the potential for serious injuries," but "that's all we know right now."

He did not know if Nadeau was conscious when taken from the car.

Nadeau's Pontiac struck the outside wall on the three-quarter mile oval during the final practice session for Saturday night's Pontiac Excitement 400. The car skidded, spun halfway around and slammed driver's side first into the wall between the first and second turns.

After several minutes, rescue crews cut part of the roof off the car, climbed inside and removed Nadeau.

He was taken by ambulance to the infield care center, then airlifted from the track as Henrico County police and fire officials ordered onlookers away from the helipad.

smeans
05-02-2003, 04:48 PM
this is just awful. i wish we'd hurry up and hear something. man i hope he's okay.

ocvachick
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
I wouldnt have known this without coming here.. I dont live too far from there and will be looking to hear something about this.

annie169
05-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Last I heard was that they haven't been able to contact his wife yet...scary and sad, and until then, they can't release more info on him. Hubby says they had to cut the top off his car cause Nadeau was unconcious and that's only way to get him out safely.

Things like this scare me. Almost make me want to NOT watch racing.

kat08011
05-02-2003, 06:25 PM
how sad..he is now in critical condition

wingsfan
05-02-2003, 06:32 PM
:eek: :eek: OH NO! this is horrible http://www.unitedboxbrokers.com/webhost/wingsfan/17.gif http://www.unitedboxbrokers.com/webhost/wingsfan/17.gif

wingsfan
05-02-2003, 06:40 PM
espnnews just reported that he is in STABLE condition and his vital signs are good....

3eagles
05-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Fox 35 here in Richmond just reported from the hospital (10PM) and said he is in critical codition.:(
I live just 5-10 minutes from the hospital and 15 from the race track.

momof4inMi
05-02-2003, 07:12 PM
:(

3eagles
05-02-2003, 08:00 PM
NBC channel 12 News Richmond, Va. 11PM, still in critical condition and wife is on her way...was at a funeral
Reported from race track and VCU/MCV hospital.

aimefisher
05-02-2003, 08:06 PM
UPDATE 9:00pm/et an update during FX's coverage of the Busch Series race, reports that Nadeau is in critical condition and ungoing further tests.
AND Just after 9:00pm/et, Hunter returned to the track's media center to say the driver was in critical condition and that was all he could say until Nadeau's wife, Jada, arrived at the hospital. Jada Nadeau had been attending her grandfather's funeral in Spartanburg, SC, on Friday and was not at the track when the wreck happened just after 5:00pm/et. Severe thunderstorms in the Carolinas were hampering her attempts to reach Richmond.

MrsSpeed
05-02-2003, 08:10 PM
:( I will be praying for Jerry. He and his wife just had a baby girl a few weeks ago.

annie169
05-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Wow. All you who live out there get the news much faster than we do here. Crap, the sports announcer on the 6 o'clock news said the WC race was on this Sunday....NOT. I called the newsstation and told them he was WRONG!! But, out of 3 local TV stations, he's the only one who mentioned the wreck.

unicorn9149
05-02-2003, 08:44 PM
the nascar site says no further updates will be given until Saturday.

BearsBunny2
05-03-2003, 11:28 AM
I read about this this morning. Hope he will be ok.