04-30-2003, 02:34 AM
I have posted before about him being picked on, teased, and
bullied at school. Well he finally broke down and hit another
student at school on Thursday. He was suspended for 2 days for
this. Meanwhile he is extremely depressed and getting violent
with his 5yr old brother. Friday, I managed to get him an appt
with the mental health counselor and he told her that he had
been having thoughts of suicide. The school was not doing anything
about his being bullied and he just could not take it anymore.
He was convinced that he was gay because the kids at school kept
telling him he was because he would scratch under his arm.

I know i'm rambling but i am really stressed out and upset
about this.

The school is not willing to do anything to help him. His teacher
told me to transfer him to another school. That was her recommendation. She said they are not allowed to do anything unless
they see or hear it. OK, there should be a zero tolerance on bullying
at school. This is why other children have brought guns to school.

But now my son is in the psych ward at the hospital. I hope this will
be good for him. I told the doc's everything and said that one of my
goals for Jason is to get his self esteem back up and start believing
in himself.

I would really appreciate it if you could send him a card
to let him know that he is cared about and people do like him.. tia
He will be in the hospital at least 5-10 days.

If you want to write him or send him a card, here is the address.

7th *****t West (THE blocked out word is A - V - E - R - Y - T )
Palmetto Babtist Medical Center
Taylor at Marion Streets
Columbia, SC 29220
Room 736 Jason Belcher

dangerousfem
04-30-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm so sorry about your son... I really think you need to call a lawyer today! I have a feeling that a phone call to the board of ed from your lawyer will get the school moving.. If this is happening to your child it is probably happening to alot of other.. and some of those kids may not be telling their parents whats going on... after all the school shootings, I thought all schools adopted a zero policy. I really would get on the phone to some lawyers.. and I would call the principal and let them know that you are seeking legal action.

morris2b
04-30-2003, 04:04 AM
WTF is wrong with teachers and schools anymore????? I can not believe this teacher told you to transfer your child to another school.....Where are they at when this crap happens?:rolleyes: Probably in the coffee room smoking cigarettes drinking coffee while one childs image is being affected by others.... Personally If I was you I would go see the childs parents or at least call them, their child is responsible for your son having to be in the hospital and if you don't get a response from them, let them know that your attorney will be calling back, and do get an attorney.......Take this issue in your own hands and let them know even though some parents may look over things like this and think it is normal behavior for kids, that you know it is not normal behavior and that it will not be tolerated by you and your family

((((((((((((((dena_darling & Jason)))))))))))))))

rain_cries
04-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Oh, I would definately take legal action... Your son is punished because he finally breaks down and hits his tormentors, but they can't be punished for tormenting him? Now your poor baby is in the hospital because he is thinking of suicide... Unreal! Like the above poster said, this is why kids bring guns to school... because when they do tell, no one does anything about it and the harassment and torment are allowed to go on and on and the poor kid feels like there is no relief. Then when something terrible does happen, all fingers are pointed at the parents....

Maybe once this school is sued, they will know that there will be no more tolerance for bullies!

LadyBones
04-30-2003, 06:30 AM
((((((((dena_darling & Jason)))))))))
My son is Jason's age and this is got to be the worst age for children!
I have to agree with everyone else i would be seeking a lawer on this one.
I am going to send him a cheer up card this weekend! If he wants a pen pal when he comes home My son would love it! Here is my e-mail addy and let me know if he would like that...
parrotlover_99@yahoo.com

MommyG3
04-30-2003, 06:46 AM
((((((((((((((((((((((dena_darling & Jason))))))))))))))))))))))))))

tiffany21
04-30-2003, 07:52 AM
I hope they can help him hugs to you and your family.

Shancopp
04-30-2003, 09:18 AM
(((((HUGS)))))
Best of luck.......my heart is breaking for you, Dena. Hang in there and I'd be glad to send your son a card!!

guesswho!
04-30-2003, 09:18 AM
If it's not too late I'll be sending your son a card. I agree to consult a lawyer. Another thought that might put pressure on the school is to contact local tv stations. The media has covered plenty of stories abt.schools & they might be sensitive to your son's plight. He doesn;t deserve that treatment & the teachers are in the wrong letting it happen! You need to start getting your legal evidence/proof in order,in case you end up in court. What you do could help others as well as your son! Go talk to the teachers & principal & carry a voice recorder(like you can get at Walmart) & record everything they say. Also be sure to put your complaints in WRITING to the principal & indvidual teachers, this way you'll have proof that you actively tried to get help. Make sure to send it thru the mail in the way they have to SIGN when they receive it. ("Paper trails" can be valuable legal evidence!) I would alos have your son write them a letter & maybe one to the tv stations/radio stations, if the unit feels this would be beneficial. Would the unit make any phone calls to his school?

You all are in our prayers.

schsa
04-30-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with everyone else. Consult a lawyer and sue the school board for not protecting your child. No child should end up in a mental ward because they have stressed themselves into a breakdown. And check with NAMI (www.nami.org) to see if they have any people that you can contact for assistance for your son.

I would sue for medical bills as well suffering and anything else that you can get. This cannot be allowed to continue to happen. There are probably other kids that this has happened to and they are suffering in silence just like the way your son had suffered.

I suffered from major depression at the hands of a tyrannical boss and ended up with a complete nervous breakdown. I feel so much for your son. He didn't deserve anything he got and the school should be ashamed.

dena_darling
04-30-2003, 10:55 AM
I really appreciate everyones advice. Especially your thoughts and
kind words. It is so hard right now. I feel so bad for Jason that he thinks that bad of himself. I can only visit him for one hour a day and a 5min phone call from 12:30 - 1:00. So it is really hard on all of us not to be there for him. My family can't visit him till Saturday (this is from his doc.) That way he can get through all his testings and therapy. But I know he will get the help he needs at the hospital.

I am going to try and consult a lawyer. I don't won't money for this, just to get the school to realize that they should have a zero tolerance policy and maybe they will take this seriously.
Oh, and when my son hit the other child last Thursday, he hit the boys glasses. He only bent the frame but the principal told the other parent to go and buy a new pair of glasses and give her the receipt and I would have to pay for them. I'm sure too that she will
pick the most expensive glasses in the place. I'm going to try and check on that too. (Been watching too much Judge Judy, lol.) I thought that she would have to get the glasses fixed if she could not
just get to buy new ones.

I had told his teacher that Jason was on the verge of suiciide over this and she said that she would hate to have that on her concience (sp?). I feel like if she doesn't want to it on her conscience then she should do something about it instead of conveniently not seeing or hearing anything.

I have thought about contacting the news and letting them know about this. it jsut doesn't make any sense that my son would have to suffer through this and the school doesn't feel like they should do anything about it.

scifiwoman
04-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Im so sorry to hear about this. The school should protect your son. It is a crime that they are not. I would do as suggested before. See a lawyer, go to press, write a letter to the editor of your local paper. I would contact the school board too. Good luck and keep us updated. {{{hugs for you and son}}}

btw if you refuse to pay for the glasses what can they do? Nothing thats what. the school has no legal basis to make you pay for them. The other parents can take you to court but that doesnt mean they will win. Dont pay for anything.

kysmoores
04-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Go ahead and contact anyone who will listen. Start with the lawyer, then the news, then the paper, your local representative, other parents, etc..... I am so very, very sorry for your son and all that you are going thru. I would also talk to the lawyer about making them reimburse you for any costs associated with this!

TexasGal
05-01-2003, 12:43 AM
I replied to your post in the for/sale trade forum. Just wanted to update you and let you know DD wrote him a 2 page letter and invited him to write her back if he wishes. It'll go in the mail first thing today. {{{{hugs}}}}.

Susan

rain_cries
05-01-2003, 06:14 AM
Card mailed today to the addy in your post.