PDA

View Full Version : Plan a Successful Moving Sale--garage sale

janelle
04-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Plan a Successful Moving Sale
Planning Tips
Is it a moving sale, a garage sale, or a yard sale? However you name it, it's an excellent way to get rid of items you don't want anymore. Use these tips to plan a successful moving sale. It's also a great way to recycle things back into the community. Who knows, you might even make a penny or two!

Planning
If you haven't been to a moving sale in a while, visit a few next Saturday. See which ads and signs draw your attention. Wander various sales, and take note of effective merchandising and pricing.
Decide on your days and hours. While Saturday and Sunday are customary, many garage sales start on Friday, and some start on Thursday. Sales can range from one to four days.
Think about where to have the sale. Typical sales are in the front yard or in the garage. If you plan to have the sale in your yard, have a rain contingency.
Let your neighbors, friends, and family know when you're having your sale. If others join in, you can advertise a multiple-family yard sale, or multiple sales on your block, which increases turnout. The more stuff you have on display, the more shoppers will feel it's worth pulling over to look.
Get cash and coins for change.
Decide ahead of time whether you're willing to accept checks, hold items, or deliver larger pieces.

Setup and Selling
Merchandising
Collect card tables, crates, workbenches, and other horizontal surfaces for displaying items. Plywood on sawhorses works great as well.
Keeping things organized and neat is key to successful selling. People can't buy it if they can't find it. Arrange your merchandise into logical categories. Put similar things beside each other; for example, display the garden equipment together and the glassware together.
Don't mix items for sale with those not for sale. If it's unavoidable, be sure that there's a clear distinction between them.
Keep smaller and more valuable items closer to where you'll be stationed, so you can keep an eye on them.
Clean the merchandise. It'll look more attractive, and shoppers will feel they're getting a treasure for a song. Lay white sheets or butcher paper across the display tables and benches. This provides a bright, clean surface and makes your merchandise look newer and more valuable.
Know ahead of time if an item doesn't work. If it's easy to fix, then fix it. If not, price it accordingly.
Remember that moving sales can be a form of entertainment. By organizing the layout of your sale, you can make it easy and fun for shoppers to browse, and then just pick something up and pay for it.

Pricing
Wherever possible, price items in categories so you don't have to tag each item. Make signs like "All Books $1 Each" or "Items on This Table $5 Each."
When you do use price tags, place adhesive stickers where they're easily seen and won't cause damage. Otherwise, tie on stringed tags.
Start the pricing at about 1/3 of what the item cost new. Make adjustments based on the condition of the item. This gives you "garage sale pricing" while still leaving room for negotiation.

Selling
Work the sale with at least one or two others. It's a good way to be sure you can adequately respond to questions, keep an eye on valuable items, give each other breaks, and handle sales transactions.
Avid garage-salers and antiques dealers might show up early. Decide how you want to respond.
Most people will be happy to pay the posted price. Others will make you an offer—haggling is part of the fun for many garage-salers. Remember that your goal is to just sell items to those who can use them. If you plan to give an item to charity if it doesn't sell, then negotiate. Mark valuable items at the price you want, but remember your rock-bottom price when bargaining.
Keep your money in a secure place. While you can use a locked cash box, it might be more convenient to keep the money in your pockets or a fanny pack.
Toward the end of your sale, move in any of your bigger-ticket items that you'll sell separately. Then offer last-hour shoppers bags or boxes that they can fill for a dollar.
Experienced garage-salers and dealers might show up again toward the end of your sale and offer to take remainders off your hands by paying you a very small price.

After the sale, decide what to do with what remains. If any big-ticket items are left, plan to run an ad for them. Arrange for the other items to be given to a charity. Take down your signs. Finally, count the money you've made! No matter how much you make, you've certainly saved money by reducing the amount you'll need to pack for moving day.

sharinbo
04-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks! We were just talking about having a sale one of these weekends!

mlathroum
04-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Did a yard sale this past weekend. I only made a little over $20 but the junk is out of my house. I was letting everything go cheap to.

mewoman
04-29-2003, 07:39 PM
lol, I'll be having one, one of these days. Along with selling my stuff that I've got listed here and stuff I don't have listed, I've actually been "buying" stuff to sell, ie; trial sized toothpastes, shampoos, deoderant. I've been getting them free with coupons, so, whatever I sell them for will be a profit. :D And, of course, I will offer cups of red fusion for $.25ea, which will also be pure profit :D

suziebee20
04-29-2003, 09:12 PM
lol, and when you have a TV and computer in your garage that you actually use, cover it up instead of sticking a sign on it that says "NOT FOR SALE". At least 1 in 4 people asked how much, and the sign was right there!!!

Thanks for the tips. Neighborhood garage sale is creeping up ever so slowly! It gets real busy, fun fun fun!!!! I get all the money we make!!! ;) ;) :D

janelle
04-29-2003, 10:33 PM
If you have a sale and don't mark things somewhat high, like a dollar, why have it? All that work for nothing. Just let the salvation Army come and take everything away instead. I want to make a little profit. Then I go and spend it at other garage sales. lol I know, it's an addiction.:p :p