PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...

jaybird
04-29-2003, 01:15 PM
I know there's a 'stop smoking' thread but I was wondering who, here, has tried over-the-counter or prescription 'stop smoking' medications/patches/gum etc.? I'm thinking about quitting. I did it once, for 16-17 years, and could do it again the 'old' way, but some input on 'crutches' would be greatly appreciated. I know all the hard candy/keep your hands busy/chew gum tricks.

ajksmom
04-29-2003, 01:27 PM
My mom has used the patches and they didn't work for her, but only because she has never really been in the right mindset to really want to quit. I do want to wish you all of the best of luck in trying. I know you can do it.

teenap
04-29-2003, 01:31 PM
I tried the gum...nasty stuff..you dont chew it like normal gum..blah

mugwump
04-29-2003, 01:36 PM
I tried the gum too ... but since I chew gum like a cow, ALL the nicotine got into my system right away ... and I'd end up puking! Then, of course, I'd have a ciggie to calm my nerves.

Patches ... allergic to the adhesive.

Also tried accupuncture ... got a really nasty ear infection.

Tried hypnosis ... didn't work at all.

I finally quit cold turkey after trying several times. All I know is that when you're ready to quit, it's not hard at all.

Good Luck!!

Ghetto_Gurl
my mom smoked for years well over 20 at about 2 packs a day. she quit about a year ago and she used the patch, she said the gum tasted like butt(dont wanna know how she knows what that tastes like :eek: )

newwiccan
Kevin used the gum in '99 (?)and it really helped until the whole Kosovo situation came up. He wants to use it again once he gets back.

jaybird
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
I quit cold turkey twice. When I was pregnant with Brian. After delivery, they said, "It's a boy." I said, "Get me a cigarette." Quit again when I was pregnant with Sarah, nursed her, quit til she was about 16 or 17. Started back up, just because I wanted to. I am very high strung (yes, believe it or not) and I'd rather smoke than 'nervous energy' eat!

3eagles
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
I used prescription Habtrol patches and had no cravings,weight gain or crankiness for a few weeks even tho I was around smokers, but I got to the point that I just wanted the "taste" of a cigarette after a while.

Wimzik
04-29-2003, 02:01 PM
My sis has tried just about everything and they all worked.....for a couple of days! lol, she always started up again:rolleyes:

My mil quit 3 years ago, I'll have to ask her if she used anything she has never started back up.

I quit cold turkey when I got pregnant with the twins, but started again as soon as I quit nursing. I would like to quit again but I know I would substitute food for cigerettes and I need to lose some weight first.

jaybird
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
See, that's me too. I don't want to shove food inside my mouth instead of a cigarette. If lung cancer kills me, at least I'll go thin. :D

jaybird
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
See, I need to get into the right mindframe first. And convince myself I won't substitute food.

scifiwoman
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Maybe this will help??

FREE SAMPLES OFFER

limit 1 order per customer

If you would like to try our product before making a purchase, we will gladly send you

1 Regular Draw 10 pack

and 1 Easy Draw 10 pack
for FREE

All you have to do to receive your free Magic 25 cigarette filter samples is to pay a small shipping and handling charge of $4.99

http://www.magic25filter.com/free-sample.html

jaybird
04-29-2003, 02:25 PM
That's worth checking into scifi, thank you!

scifiwoman
04-29-2003, 02:27 PM
you are most entirely welcome :)

janelle
04-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Jaybird, you know Robert Blake would just carry around an unlit cigarette and take a drag form it once in awhile. You could try that but then he ended up killing his wife so maybe not. :rolleyes:

jaybird
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by janelle
Jaybird, you know Robert Blake would just carry around an unlit cigarette and take a drag form it once in awhile. You could try that but then he ended up killing his wife so maybe not. :rolleyes:
No problem. I don't have a wife! :D

jaybird
04-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlost
My dad's cure has worked for 12 years now. And it was a quick cure too. Doctors told him he had inoperable lymphoma and there was nothing they could do. He asked for a cigarette when he was brought back to his room from recovery (exploratory surgery lasted less than an hour). He never lit it. Of course, 12 years later and cured of the lymphoma (the result of 12 months of horrid chemo) he now has lung cancer (among others) and doctors told him it is the result of all those prior years of smoking. He's now on chemo treatment number 21 with 36 left to go. Plus the colonoscopy bag, etc. You know the story Jaybird.

If that doesn't make a person stop I don't know what will.
(((((raven)))))

I can top that. My dad DIED of lung cancer at 50. Well, technically, they removed a lung, and a blood clot killed him. His mother died at 50. I'll be 50 in August...do the math.

Kyla Kym
04-29-2003, 06:40 PM
I took the Wellbutrin as well to stop. When I wanted a cig I would go get a cup of coffee.
That's what worked for me.
Don't just think about it. Do it! Show the tobacco company who's the real boss over your body! ;) :D

jaybird
04-29-2003, 06:46 PM
RJ Reynolds is.

julie_angel
04-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jaybird
No problem. I don't have a wife! :D

LMAO Jaybird!

scifiwoman
04-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by janelle

hmmm I wasnt aware he had been convicted??

jaybird
04-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Man, have you seen that guy lately? He was shown on tv a few weeks ago, in a lovely orange jumpsuit. He must have aged 20 years. DANG!

janelle
04-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by jaybird
Man, have you seen that guy lately? He was shown on tv a few weeks ago, in a lovely orange jumpsuit. He must have aged 20 years. DANG!

See what happens when you quit smoking? J/K I hadn't seen him on TV for years so I was not surprised at his appearence. I was just joking but it does look like he is in big doodoo on this one. Heard OJ Simpson wants to narrate the trial for court TV. How bazzarr is that?:eek:

justinenycole26
04-30-2003, 12:02 AM
I used a Nicotrol inhaler, it made me gag! I was on Wellbutrin at the same time and it didn't do squat. I quit cold turkey last year and lasted for 5 months. My best advice is to keep pistachios everywhere. They help with the hand-to-mouth reflex. That's the only thing that got me thru the first 3 days. I was stupid to start back up, but I gained weight when I quit so I said SC##W IT!