PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice...serious cracked feet......

chrissypoo
04-28-2003, 09:33 PM
I have been pumicing my feet daily and slathering Curel on them. They still hurt and are pretty cracked on the heels.

Any advice? :(

newwiccan
04-28-2003, 09:47 PM
I had the same problem. I use a pumice after I shower and then rub Cetaphil moisturizing cream on them. I also rub the cream on at night and wear socks to bed. Good luck!

Angel_Wings
04-28-2003, 09:50 PM
this sounds terrible but i have slathered my feet in vaseline and wrapped them in plastic and put socks on and it has helped

twinkiesmom
04-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Just went thru that myself a cpl months ago. I slathered em up w/Vaseline b4 bed n slept w/socks on. Did this for 2 or 3 days straight and it fixed me right up. Good thing too, cuz it's rollerblade season.

julie_angel
04-28-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm glad you posted this question, I almost posted the same question myself because I have cracked heels for the first time in my life too. I buy those things that look like big nail files, and do the bottoms of my feet with them and slather on lotion all of the time, so I was pretty surprised to notice that my heels are cracked. By looking at them, it looks like the cracks are so deep they will never go away!!!

Gumball1960
04-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Don't know what to tell you, mine gets bad enough that every 3 months I have my podiatrist sand off my heels with a grinder. :eek:

eeigh33
04-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Gumball1960
Don't know what to tell you, mine gets bad enough that every 3 months I have my podiatrist sand off my heels with a grinder. :eek:

YIKES...that sounds painful! ARGH....

I think you should try the vaseline and socks idea. I have heard that works wonders as well! :)

Gumball1960
04-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Been there, done that. Tried all kinds of lotions & creams too. Doesn't help. Emery cloth works when I can find the stuff by the sheet. Most places carry sandpaper but not everybody has emery cloth. I can cut it in strips and it's flexible and doesn't rip like the paper does.

stresseater
04-28-2003, 10:09 PM
I would go get some diabetic lotion. Dry and cracked hands and feet are a big side effect of diabetes and the creams they put put for it work pretty well.

NoFoolPrice
04-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Have you tried Zims Crack Cream? Seriously, that is the name, I remember getting a sample last year and saw it in K-Mart just today. It is really great for cracked feet.

NoFoolPrice
04-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Oh, darn, just realized that my 1000 post is about crack cream! Lol, I was going to save it for something really profound. Oh well...

Gumball1960
04-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Tried the Zim's when it first came out. Didn't do a thing for me. Not even a little softer. I have better luck with Vaseline Advanced Healing lotion than that. Cheaper too. :)

janelle
04-28-2003, 10:19 PM
I take baths instead of showers. That way you can soak your feet and rub the excess skin off them before you get out. Sometimes my hubby will even rub my back to get the dead skin off. I've heard one gets cleaner with baths over showers. I just like to immerse my whole body up to my chin and relax a little.

chrissypoo
04-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by julie_angel
I'm glad you posted this question, I almost posted the same question myself because I have cracked heels for the first time in my life too. I buy those things that look like big nail files, and do the bottoms of my feet with them and slather on lotion all of the time, so I was pretty surprised to notice that my heels are cracked. By looking at them, it looks like the cracks are so deep they will never go away!!!

That's exactly how these are. My right heel hurts so much right now I can hardly walk on it.

I'll have to get some vaseline and do the overnight thing. It's so darn warm here that I hate to wear socks to bed but if that's what I have to do before seeing a podiatrist then so be it. :rolleyes:

twinkiesmom
04-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Good luck crissypoo. Actually what I wear is the footie socks so the only thing that'd be warm is your feet only. I'm not nutz about wearing something like tube socks anyway.

mesue
04-28-2003, 10:43 PM
I went to the dr. after years of cracked bleeding feet, they gave me a fungicide with a steroid in it, it helped considerably.

julie_angel
04-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Also, they sell these little cotton socks, they are really thin, at places like wal-mart and k-mart, they are made for the purpose of putting on lotion and wearing to bed. I found them in the aisle with stuff like bath pillows and loofahs. They really are thin and won't make your feet too hot. They sell gloves like that too, for softening your hands. They did make my feet really soft (I used them with vaseline), but they didn't help the cracked heels.
I have heard of the zim's crack cream, I'll have to try it. The diabetic cream idea seems to make sense, too.
Chrissypoo, let me know if you find something that works, and I'll let you know if I find anything.

chrissypoo
04-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by julie_angel
Also, they sell these little cotton socks, they are really thin, at places like wal-mart and k-mart, they are made for the purpose of putting on lotion and wearing to bed. I found them in the aisle with stuff like bath pillows and loofahs. They really are thin and won't make your feet too hot. They sell gloves like that too, for softening your hands. They did make my feet really soft (I used them with vaseline), but they didn't help the cracked heels.
I have heard of the zim's crack cream, I'll have to try it. The diabetic cream idea seems to make sense, too.
Chrissypoo, let me know if you find something that works, and I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks for the heads-up about the socks. I wasn't aware anything like that existed.

It's a deal Julie...we'll keep each other informed on what the best solution is. ;)

All the advice given so far sounds pretty logical to me. I just don't want to go to the doc...ya know? OUCH! :p

twinkiesmom
04-28-2003, 10:56 PM
lol. I use those thin cotton footie socks for my hands that are slathered in Vaseline too. lol. Noonaide and cleaning tables does a number on the hands too.

Gumball1960
04-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Getting my feet sanded isn't really that bad, it actually tickles unless he gets a spot too thin. That's usually because of me trying not to laugh and holding my leg down. LOL

chrissypoo
04-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Getting my feet sanded isn't really that bad, it actually tickles unless he gets a spot too thin. That's usually because of me trying not to laugh and holding my leg down. LOL

:p Oh no....as ticklish as I am? :p

Gumball1960
04-28-2003, 11:20 PM
The last time I had it done I had a friend come with me to watch my DD in the waiting room... she could hear me laughing all the way out there. :D

Ladytiger
04-29-2003, 01:09 AM
I had the same problem, but I found my cure-Burt's Bee's Coconut Foot Creme. I do the pumice stone, slather this on, wear the think socks julie-angel is talking about, wake up to really soft feet. I do this about every 4-6 months now, also use it on my hands if they get that dry too. Good luck!

seawinds
04-29-2003, 06:16 AM
ok ladies don`t laugh....Vicks Vapor Rub.... it works...

WitchyGurl
04-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Want to know what's better than Vasaline?
Crisco Shortening!!!
Use it the same way as the vasaline. It penetrates deeper into the dead skin. It's also good for your hands!
I slather my feet with the Crisco. I put my feet in bread sacks and prop my feet up on a heating pad and watch TV!
Now that's SPA THERAPY!;)

janelle
04-29-2003, 10:48 AM
The last time I had it done I had a friend come with me to watch my DD in the waiting room... she could hear me laughing all the way out there. :D

Oh my, I bet it makes the people in the waiting room wonder what you and the doc are up to. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Just what are you ladies doing to your feet to make them such a mess? Cracked and bleeding? :eek:

janelle
04-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Keep a pair of slides by your door. My feet are so soft(yes, da hubby carries me around everywhere, LOL) it hurts to step on anything hard. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

LadyBones
04-29-2003, 11:10 AM
wow i thought i was the only one with icky cracked feet! my heals have cracked so bad that i could only walk on my toes! I have wide flat feet also and hubby call's them fred flintstone feet! :O

miralys
04-29-2003, 01:15 PM
I get this every couple of months and I swear by Zims Crack Cream. If you can't find any of that then most diabetic lotions for feet work too. GOod luck! :)

chrissypoo
04-29-2003, 04:37 PM
You all are great. Janelle? I live in Arizona and my gosh, it's getting preeeetttty hot here and I hate wearing shoes, sandals or slippers here at home. Also, with the lack of moisture in the air (AZ has got the dry desert air) I know it only makes matters worse. Then to top it off, I'm 48 and as we age, all of our skin starts to dry especially our feet. Okay, how's that? LOLOLOL:D ;) I like your suggestion...maybe I need to get a hunk to carry me about!!!:p

I forgot about using Crisco as a heavy duty moisturizer! Now if only I had some! ;)

Okay, it boils down to this...I need to soak my feet, slather on Avon and Zim's during the day, use Crisco on one foot, vaseline on the other and wear socks at night! lmao

I know...this isn't really a laughing matter but at this point, I need to find some humor.

I will be going shopping Friday and I'll definately pick up some of the socks and other products mentioned.

Thanks all!! :)

kidzpca
04-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Taking vaseline and slathering the daylights out of the feet and putting socks on (overnight) is a good idea. But I would also recommend that you first soak your feet at least once a day in a solution of 1 cup vinegar/1 gallon warm water for 20 minutes. This will kill off any bacteria and other germs that lead to the cracked feet in the first place.

after a few days your feet will start to peel and start the healing process.

Blackerose
04-29-2003, 06:37 PM
My husband had the worst cracked heels, they used to bleed almost everyday. The Avon stuff, Footworks Cracked Heel cream worked the best for him It even has lidocaine in it so the cracks don't hurt as much when you walk.

Donnagg123
04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Don't know if someone already posted this , but Bath and Body works has this great stuff in a blue tube that has....some kind of butter in it, but it is REALLY GOOD!

Just found it...it is called "Lay it On Thick" and it has Shea's Butter & Vit. E in it. HTH :)

Lizerella
04-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
Avon Foot Works products are the BEST thing I have ever used. They have a "Cracked Heel Cream" that is a miracle worker. And no, I am not an avon rep. lol :)

I was gonna mention that. I've been using that since I had my splint and bandages off my foot and ankle...good stuff!

janelle
04-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by chrissypoo
You all are great. Janelle? I live in Arizona and my gosh, it's getting preeeetttty hot here and I hate wearing shoes, sandals or slippers here at home. Also, with the lack of moisture in the air (AZ has got the dry desert air) I know it only makes matters worse. Then to top it off, I'm 48 and as we age, all of our skin starts to dry especially our feet. Okay, how's that? LOLOLOL:D ;) I like your suggestion...maybe I need to get a hunk to carry me about!!!:p

I forgot about using Crisco as a heavy duty moisturizer! Now if only I had some! ;)

Okay, it boils down to this...I need to soak my feet, slather on Avon and Zim's during the day, use Crisco on one foot, vaseline on the other and wear socks at night! lmao

I know...this isn't really a laughing matter but at this point, I need to find some humor.

I will be going shopping Friday and I'll definately pick up some of the socks and other products mentioned.

Thanks all!! :)

You live in AZ and go to the mail box barefooted??? OUCH, HOT, HOT, HOT, OHH, UH,UH,UH,UH, OUCHIE,OUCHIE,OUCHIE, then coming back. OH NO, YIPES, HOWZY, WO,WO,WO, YI,YI, OH MY, OH MY, LET ME IN, WOW I MADE IT. No wonder your poor feet are crying for help. Then you step on a catus. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3eagles
04-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Have any of you tried the paraffin wax baths???
I have Raynaud's Phenomenon and my feet and hands get really dry. I have to keep them moisturized so they don't ulcerate (my problems mimic diabetes in a lot of ways, especially the slow healing). I bought one of the paraffin wax baths and just dip my foot or hand in a few times to get a couple of layers of wax on and put a plastic bag on for 20 minutes and then peel the wax off and my feet/hands get really soft.

Ashlee
04-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I don't know if this works but my MIL started using some kind of Blue Ointment (I cant remember the exact name) BUT she swares by it now! She does the slather thing with socks at bedtime tooo!

Sunee
04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 3eagles
Have any of you tried the paraffin wax baths???
I have Raynaud's Phenomenon and my feet and hands get really dry. I have to keep them moisturized so they don't ulcerate (my problems mimic diabetes in a lot of ways, especially the slow healing). I bought one of the paraffin wax baths and just dip my foot or hand in a few times to get a couple of layers of wax on and put a plastic bag on for 20 minutes and then peel the wax off and my feet/hands get really soft.

That is the best :). I got one of the machines and bought some paraffin wax with aloe in it about 6 months ago. I dip my hands and feet twice then put on the plastic mittins and booties. Mine also came with a set of terri cloth booties and mittens to put over the plastic ones. When I get done my hands and feet are so soft!!!! My feet get really dry because I can't stand to wear shoes. I walk around barefoot all the time even outside. Cold or hot :p.

mesue
04-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Sunee
That is the best :). I got one of the machines and bought some paraffin wax with aloe in it about 6 months ago. I dip my hands and feet twice then put on the plastic mittins and booties. Mine also came with a set of terri cloth booties and mittens to put over the plastic ones. When I get done my hands and feet are so soft!!!! My feet get really dry because I can't stand to wear shoes. I walk around barefoot all the time even outside. Cold or hot :p.

Where did you buy the machie and whats the average cost of one? I've never heard of this but would love to try it.

3eagles
04-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by mesue
Where did you buy the machie and whats the average cost of one? I've never heard of this but would love to try it.

You can get them at Walgreens, Target, K-Mart, Rite Aid, etc. for between $30-$60 depending on the store and brand. It is a Paraffin Wax Bath and usually comes with a couple of pounds of wax to start and some have the plastic bags, booties and mittens.

wooo hooo...lol...my 400th post :) :) :)

mesue
04-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Congrats on the 400th post, thanks for the info I will definitely be hinting for one of these for mothers day.

Gumball1960
04-30-2003, 01:37 AM
I just got an e-mail of Big Lots new ad and they have one in there for under $10!! It even comes with the 2 lbs. of scented wax. :)

chameleon13
04-30-2003, 06:16 AM
I hate to be the voice of doom here...If you have any kind of cracks or splits on the bottoms of your feet, you may want to consider some kind of footwear or foot covering. I have severe psoriasis on the bottoms of my feet, resulting in cracks from toe to heel. I have always been a barefooter, especially inside. Last November, I wound up with blood poisoning and ended up in the hospital for 5 days and then bed rest and heavy antibiotics for another 3 weeks. Your legs are at a very high risk for cellulitis (a skin infection) and blood poisoning. The circulation is not very good in the legs to begin with and any kind of split or crack on your feet is very conducive to letting in germies. Once you have had cellulitis, you are very susceptible to getting it more often. It hurts, swells your legs and itches and is only treatable with antibiotics. It sucks to have it.

I wish everyone good luck on treating the cracked heels.

3eagles
04-30-2003, 08:02 AM
I just got the Big Lots ad too Gumball and it's in mine!!! So it's good in Va. - Richmond at least!!! At that price, it would be great to get for gifts :) :) :)

BigLyd1
04-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks to all for the great tips. I thought I was the only one with this problem. My problem is I hate wearing socks. I also have to go to a podiatrist to get my feet sanded. It does feel pretty good though.

janelle
04-30-2003, 09:47 AM
I got my wax machine at Kohl's on sale for 30 dallars. I've never used it. got it for my MIL since her skin is peeling all the time, it's so dry. She was afraid of the new technology so I bought it back from her.

My sister has one and she keeps it plugged in at all times. then when she wants to use it the wax is melted. I think it takes four hours for the wax to melt. That's what threw my MIL. I used my sister's. If you wash your hands first and get them really clean you can recycle the wax. When you are done just peel it off and put back in the little tub. Mine and hers didn't come with booties just the plastic.

Gumball1960
04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm heading to Big Lots today!! :D