PDA

View Full Version : Social Security

Iluvbears
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
This p*sses me off...I was in a car accident a few yrs ago and broke my back in three places. I have rods (the whole length of my spine) hooks & pins keeping my spine together. I filed for Social Security after I had the car accident. I fought Social Security, went to court and the whole nine yards. The Judge stated (along with one of their friut loop so called doctors) "You don't need a spine to function. Your spine isn't a weight bearing bone. Threrefor you are able to do any type of job out there." So, I couldn't fight them any longer, so I found a job. I'm in pain every day, as a result of my job my spine is falling apart. My Doctor said a few months ago, "I am very surprised you are still able to walk." He told me I need to quit working and file for Social Security. If I continue to work something could happen while at work, i'll be in a world of trouble. Now, Social Security denys me twice again. Now I have to get a lawyer and go back to court again. So some quack of a Judge can tell me. "Oh You can work....I want to know how in the hell some people with nothing wrong with then get Social Security and people like my self have to fight tooth and nail and still get nothing.

Yes, I still work..No ones going to help me.

jcw
04-28-2003, 09:50 PM
The system isn't fair is it? People who are really disabled seem to not be able to get ss while the ones with the lazy disease get ss real easy .

Frogs
04-28-2003, 09:55 PM
I've always heard the same thing! Just don't give up.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Iluvbears}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

jadegentle
04-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Do get a lawyer, when they denied my son, I requested an appeal and let them know I'd get a lawyer to help, they approved him when all the lawyer did was request his file.

Bohemut
04-28-2003, 10:22 PM
I wish I could help. Both my DH and I were approved right away. He has progressive MS and had all the right documents, etc., so it was pretty open and shut. My case is quite different (I basically had a nervous breakdown, and have other psych conditions). I really don't know how I got approved so easily--if I knew how, I'd tell you so maybe you could be approved. I've seen other people who really need SS but just can't get approved. I don't understand why or how the system works that way. Sorry you're going through all this. I hope you win this time.

Iluvbears
04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
I hope it all comes through this time. I don't want to be put on it for the rest of my life just long enough to have the operation and to recover.

Yes, I work but only a couple days a week, my boss gives me extra money to survive on.(under the table, my boss fixed it this way) I have to work, because Social Services will not help me. They said they would if I agree to go through their work first program. I told them I can't do that, it would go against me with my Disability claim.

It's all just so damn fustrating...Can't win for losing.

Thanks for the Hugs & replies. :)

mesue
04-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Your doctor should be able to help if he wanted to all he has to do is sign the papers that you are unable to work and can put you off from work for at least a year and then he should sign them for you to continue to get by declaring you disabled. You might have to fight but at least you would have that much on your side, if there is karma and I believe there is this judge will get whats coming to him for doing you this way. When you went to court last time did you have a lawyer, if not get one this time to fight for you. Good Luck! BTW my Dad had emphysema and the dr. sent him home and told him not to go back to work, the dr. filled out the paperwork for my Dad to get his disability insurance pay from work, then my Dad filed for his SS disability this same dr. who told my Dad not to work anymore put down all that was wrong with my Dad was a cold when he seen him, fortunately he had put the correct info on the insurance forms and my Dads lawyer had made copies of this so then and only then would the dr. fill out the paperwork correctly for my Dad's social security paperwork, I don't know why but some drs. have a problem with people getting those benefits, I hope yours is not one of them.

renrut*
04-29-2003, 05:19 AM
the system does suck!!! my son gets it but they do a review every year with him. 2 years ago they tried to cut him off, i got a lawyer so farking fast!!!!
now on theo ther hand my osn has a babysitter that just turned 18 who got approved and guess what???? there is nothing wrong with her except pure la***ess and a hypocondriac!!!!!!!!!!! now her brother who is 20, has been getting denied for thepast 3 years and they have just now gotten an attorney, they wont approve him for nothing. he has no daily livign skills, 2 points above the level for mentally retarded. they system does not make any sense!!!!!!!!!!! shoot maybe i will apply. seems they give it to alot of people that dont need it and the ones that do need it dont get it.
good luck but definately follow through with the lawyer. they have to back pay u from the first day u applied!!!

Kelsey1224
04-29-2003, 10:44 AM
My hubby works for social security and he says..."always appeal". You don't need a lawyer to appeal...but if it makes you feel better to have one, then get one.

He also says that the main reason that people lose their case is that their doctors did not document their case sufficiently. A ruling can only be made based on the material provided. So be sure that your doctor documents EVERYTHING!

Good luck!

mesue
04-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I had a friend who actually went and got her whole medical record copied and sent the whole thing to them of course she lost her case, I looked it over and the drs notes were sometimes contradictory from visit to visit, there was so much info in there that I felt sorry for the person who had to read all of it. I helped narrow down the amount of paperwork she sent in to test results like MRI results and drs. letters that were sent to the other drs when she was referred to someone for testing telling what was wrong with her and why she was referred and just basically conclusive evidence of her illnesses. She got turned down again and still had to hire a lawyer but she did get it once it went to court, get a lawyer they work for you and get a certain amount of pay from your check usually about 25% and while I agree this is high but this is better than going to court without one and getting absolutely nothing and having to go back to work to survive when you are not able to. Also with all that you have already got on you, you really need someone else to handle this for you. Good Luck, I hate they are treating you this way.

Blaize
04-29-2003, 11:38 AM
I had a similar situation, I had been fighting social security for 18 months, and was down to my last appeal, when a doctor I was refered to by my regular doctor, gave me a heads up.

What he said I needed to do, was to go to a psychiatrist, and get on medication for Major depression. It is very easy to get your psychiatrist to give you medication. And because of my medication (which I don't take), I am so "drugged" up I cannot function. I gave all my new psyciatric statemnts to my SS attorney, and I got a letter in the mail last week from the Administrative Law Judge, that his finding were that I had "severe demonstrable mental conditions, that prohibit gainful employment." Social Security has sent me a letter also, saying my $9,900 check which includes my back pay from the date I first applied, is on it's way!!!!

I didn't do this just to get Social Security and not work, believe me if I could work, I would. I have Pins in both my hips, coupled with advanced arthritis, IBS, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome, my hands are so bad with arthritis they ball up and I can't open my hands. (So far this has taken me over an hour to type.) I can't stand for more than 15 minutes at a time, I have chairs placed strategically around the house so I can move from one to the other. Plus a few other things I don't want to go into.

If it wasn't for this second doctor, Socail Security would have kicked me to the curb. No one would hire me, I can't stand, I can't sit for long periods, I can't lift anything. I dont know how they can judge you, when they didn't even come to my house to see how I live and how I have to accomodate myself to get around.

But yet, if I were a drug addict or an alcoholic, I would qualify. Yeah that's right, just what druggies and alcoholics need, an Income by the government to buy more booze and drugs.

Just my thoughts!

Kelsey1224
04-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Blaize
But yet, if I were a drug addict or an alcoholic, I would qualify. Yeah that's right, just what druggies and alcoholics need, an Income by the government to buy more booze and drugs.

Just my thoughts!

While this used to be true...it isn't any longer. Those with addictions need to enroll and complete treatment. If they don't...their benefits are stopped.

Maeryn
04-29-2003, 12:13 PM
What state are you living in?? Here in CA, if you're on public assistance you don't have to participate in the work program if your doctor verifies that you have a disability.
Check out what your state's regulations are regarding medical exemptions.

scifiwoman
04-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Sorry know how you feel. I have degerative discs in my back, nerve damage in my arm, diabetic, have glaucoma.. and other stuff. And i cant get SS. They hope you get tired of fighting and give up. I did get SSI but it isnt as much as SS would be. Try living on 430.00 a month with a house and a child to support. Sorry dont mean to vent in your whine. :) Just wanted you to know there are others in the same sinking boat. I do hope you end up getting your SS in the end. Keep trying. Good luck.

oh btw here if you have a drs note you dont have to do the work program either. Check into it.

DreamWarrior
04-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Hell, my mom, who has been told by her doc that she CANNOT work (and he even sent a letter to the SS dept stating as much)still has to work bcuz SS turned her down stating that she could work ANY job out there, but yet, my uncle, who is a drug addict and an alcoholic, got on SS about a year after he filed.... go figure...

Make sure that you have your doc testify that you are unable to work...

IFeelLucky
04-30-2003, 11:12 AM
I know 2 gay Guys that got it because they are gay. They can work and they do work for cash jobs. Guess SS thinks its a mind problem. This really ticks me off!!! I have no problems with gay People but this in general ticks me off!

Maeryn
04-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by IFeelLucky
I know 2 gay Guys that got it because they are gay. They can work and they do work for cash jobs. Guess SS thinks its a mind problem. This really ticks me off!!! I have no problems with gay People but this in general ticks me off!

There's got to be more to that story, unless they paid somebody off at the agency. Being gay is not a disability!

miccit
04-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by cab92
My four year old son was approved in three days as disabled because of Melanoma. I only applied because I had to, to get medical assistance after he lost his insurance. I couldn't believe it, and neither could social services.

I had all of his medical records, about three inches thick, that I sent in.

The only disability he had was his arm in a cast for a few months, after each of his surgeries, but it sure didn't slow him down any. Had I refused it I would have lost medical benefits. What a system. I still feel guilty.

It took us about 6 months to get my sons. He has problems, I am not sure what to call it because they change the diagnosis all the time. Basically he is 11, has been in 6 psych hospitals, gets extremely violent and is depressed and has anxiety. They think now it might be a form of autism. They were great about helping us, but then again he had his doctor behind him helping get everything taken care of. There is no way we could have afforded all of his medical care without their assistance. I feel guilty too sometimes, but then I figure without it he wouldn't get any of his help he needs.

miccit
04-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by cab92
SS never spoke to any of Sam's doctors, just went by the records I sent. The only thing social services could figure was that they felt sorry for a four year old with cancer. They had told me "You apply for SS, and then you get turned down, but it will take about 6 - 8 months. Once you apply we can start our paperwork". They were as surprised as I was. So many people that need it are turned down, why did they pick Sam to get it?

The government works in mysterious ways. I know that I was told kids usually get approved quicker and more easily than adults. I am not sure why they do the things they do.

the1bea
04-30-2003, 07:56 PM
I know all about the SS system. My husband got approved after 2 years of fighting, and I have gotten my 2nd denial for my son, who goes in for surgery #5 tues. I talked to my welfare caseworker this week and she was shocked that my son was denied 2 times. Hubby needs it though, he might have kidney stones right now. He has everything wrong with him under the sun pretty much. Bi-polar, depression, back, leg, nerve probs, high blood pressure, bad heart, high cholesteral, ect... Its really frustraiting.

Iluvbears
04-30-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm going to fight them until I win, i'm not giving up. I have 2 doctors backing me this time around.

I had a lawyer the first time & had 4 doctors backing me & still got denyed.

I'll make a call to Social Services and see if they have a form I need to have filled out inorder to avoid the Work First Program BS.

Thanks for all of the replies..

MusicfanAnnie
05-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Iluvbears...

I had hurt my back and had two fractures along with having rods placed in my spine like yourself....And I got SS with medicare A & B as well as a sellement with Workers Comp. I was denied with SS the first time..then my lawyer fought my case again..and won!!! Thankgod!!!

I know the hell you go through with all the back pain and it's hard to stay steady with walking etc.

Where are you from? What State? I had hurt my back in NYC..and now live out in Connecticut.

MusicfanAnnie
05-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Hi Iluvbears..
I got your PM..thanks for writing back
Keep us posted with SS...
Hang in..Annie

ginna74
05-02-2003, 09:36 AM
I went to the ss office and was told I need to work 8 more months before I can get it, of course if I work for it then I won't get it! geesh so I just said forget it.