View Full Version : Still No Job!!

~MK~
04-28-2003, 11:28 AM
NO ONE has called me back!! Not even the temp agencies!! ARGH!!! :mad:

I give up. :(

MommyG3
04-28-2003, 11:43 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MK}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}
I feel for you, hon. I wish there was something I could do.

Kyla Kym
04-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Can you still go around and ask for a job anywhere? Or is that a thing of the past? ;) Been a long time since I had to go job hunting.

krisharry
04-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Don't give up. There is something out there for you.
You just haven't found it yet. Sometimes it takes more
than being in the right place at the right time.
Maybe just someplain good luck for a change. Here's
hoping you find something soon.:)

Iluvbears
04-28-2003, 02:10 PM
You can't give up that easy. People who give up don't make it far in life.

I'm not sure if you are the same woman I'm thinking of who lives with a not so kind husband. If you are, that should be motivation to keep trying. Unless you are content with your living arrangement. (That's the only reason why i'd think you'd give up so easy.)

If you are not the person w/the abusive husband ignore the above comment.

schsa
04-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Ok, then you need to make a job for yourself. Clean houses, mow lawns (my service gets $40 and I have a little yard). Time to start looking at everything you can do. What about working for a local vet? What about dog sitting and house sitting (my dog sitter gets $6 a visit). After all you are very qualified to do that.

Make up about 4 different flyers and post them in grocery stores and anywhere else that you can. We have people here who do messanger service for the local lawyers, just running papers from one office to another. Put yourself out there and don't look for a conventional job. Make one flyer for house cleaning, one for dog and house sitting and another for lawn care or errand running. And pass them around.

Someone is looking for you. Expect it to take at least 3 months before you get a hit and this is the best time of year to find a job. Don't limit yourself. Take all of your skills and sell yourself.

Danny
04-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Perhaps a professional resume would get you in the door a little better - it doesn't really cost much to have one done and you need to be able to impress a prospective employer or at least interest him/her enough to give you a second look.
There are many books in the public library to give tips on how to ace interviews - dos and don'ts. Borrow some and get an edge that way. Do some homework on the companies you are applying to and make sure when the interviewer asks you if YOU have any questions - have one or two thoughtful ones prepared.

stickers
04-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Ever thought of delivering pizz while waiting?

You can always get a job on the spot at a pizza company and you not only get min wage, but the tips that my husband gets goes into around $40 to $100 a day in take home cash that you dont' claim on your taxes.

Ad that up and you can make a ton of money.

denisemm
04-28-2003, 10:40 PM
((((MK))))
I totally feel for ya! I have had so few interviews compaired to the resume's I've sent out, and even from the interviews, still no job. Something will come up. Hang in there.

MommyG3
04-29-2003, 06:21 AM
MK, what about babysitting. I know, I know you already have 4, but hey, why not get paid. :D

~MK~
04-29-2003, 06:34 AM
1. I do not watch other ppl's kids. I have enough on my plate with mine. :rolleyes:

2. I hate cleaning cuz that's ALL I ever seem to do.

3. I could get a job at my vet's office if someone would just quit! :mad:

4. Pizza I guess would be OK, but I'm worried about mileage and stuff on my van.

5. I can't cut grass because of hayfever. :rolleyes:

6. I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to grooming soon. It doesn't give me a lot but it ties up loose ends.

7. As far as a resume, not much to put on it. MOM, owner, handler, breeder. :rolleyes:

I plan on going back to school in the fall, just have to figure out how. Guess I'm gonna have to break down and go back to waitressing.

hotwheelstx
04-29-2003, 06:45 AM
JMO////

I can not see anything wrong w/waitressing at ALL.

My mom worked 2 f/t jobs teacher by day waitress by night to put me thru college.

I have lots of friends who do this for a living and make more money than Aggie and I do combined. Now, that says something to me.

I hope you find something soon.

~MK~
04-29-2003, 06:48 AM
I didn't say there was. I did it for over 2 years.

But I'd have to drive 45 minutes to get one that's worth it, like Chili's or the Olive Garden, etc. All that's around here a little restaurants with 10 customers a night.

MommyG3
04-29-2003, 07:24 AM
Hmmm, you know what, I like the idea of grooming...at least on the side. MK, don't know if it would be worth you driving 45 minutes to work as a waitress. I mean, the ones around here pay you $2.50 and hour + tips and that is not enough $$$ to drive 45 minutes to work. Who will keep the kids while you are working?

Are there any grocery stores or (dare I say it) a Wal*Mart...or Fred's?

gemini26
04-29-2003, 07:28 AM
I think you should just work whatever you can find no matter the excuse until something better comes up. Some money is better than no money. I am not sure that you can afford to be picky. There is always something out there if people are willing to work. You cna work at any fast food place, they are always hiring. Some money, even if it is just a little, is better than nothing!

hotwheelstx
04-29-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
I didn't say there was. I did it for over 2 years.

But I'd have to drive 45 minutes to get one that's worth it, like Chili's or the Olive Garden, etc. All that's around here a little restaurants with 10 customers a night.

Sorry, I didn't mean mean there was. I was just saying (JMO) that if it were me I'd do it. No matter how far I'd have to go. If I needed the money badly enough I'd drive the distance. JMO

gwendolen
04-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Machande... you are in the exact place a lot of others are finding themselves right now. Without bringing politics into it, I'm just going to say I've noticed an enormous change in the employment prospects for everyone since January 2001. I have watched my friends and family suffer so greatly in these past few years I could scream.

Just one more comment... it is very hard for a lot of people who have worked so hard and saved and paid their taxes and have done everything right to now find the only jobs available to them are paying minimum wage. Especially for those who worked hard, scrimped and saved and maybe managed to buy houses, and maybe even paid the mortgages off, but now can't afford the property taxes. Or the ones who now find themselves without healthcare.

Okay, off my soapbox.

By the way, MK - I've been reading your posts for ever so long and you are one of the reasons I finally signed on to BBS. You rock. Good luck.

MommyG3
04-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by hotwheelstx
Sorry, I didn't mean mean there was. I was just saying (JMO) that if it were me I'd do it. No matter how far I'd have to go. If I needed the money badly enough I'd drive the distance. JMO

The only problem is if she takes a job that she must drive for 45 minutes and it takes $25 to fill her gas tank in her van, then another $200/week in babysitting...what will she have left. My DH makes $12/hour 40 hours a week and we had problems with $$$ because it took $30/week to fill up the car. There is a time when it isn't worth driving that far. And when you have kids, you have to take that into consideration too. :)

okie
04-29-2003, 11:05 AM
I to haven't had any luck finding a job.Sometimes those minimum wage jobs won't work when you have kids.Like in my case,i have to find something that will pay for daycare and a fastfood place just isn't going to cut it when i have to shell out atleast $500 a month for daycare.And i'm not being lazy either so don't go bashing me.Good luck to you.I think that there is alot of us out there who are having a time finding a job.I've heard people say that the economy is getting better but i just don't see it.

MommyG3
04-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Okie, I have to agree with you. As for the economy...I want to try and buy American so Americans can work.

Queensown
04-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by stickers
Ever thought of delivering pizz while waiting?

You can always get a job on the spot at a pizza company and you not only get min wage, but the tips that my husband gets goes into around $40 to $100 a day in take home cash that you dont' claim on your taxes.

Ad that up and you can make a ton of money.

I second that one, it's a great temporary job! Plus, if you find out you like the business, it's fairly easy to work your way up to a management position. I have a friend that delivered for 6 months (Min wage + tips), then he was a Manager in training for 4 months($11.00 per hour plus benefits), he worked hard and at that time they had a new store open and now he's making $40,000 per year as a store manager which kicks butt!

Good Luck, it's not the flashiest job out there but if I needed a job I wouldn't hesitate to do it in a second!

midniteblu2
04-29-2003, 01:00 PM
{{MK}}}
You are the BEST raisin tosser that I know.
I hope things get better for you hon, I really do.

schsa
04-29-2003, 01:41 PM
MK, I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say. I live in an area where the unemployment rate is fairly low and we have more jobs than people to fill them. I wish I could offer you more than just a few suggestions.

~MK~
04-29-2003, 02:14 PM
:D Glad to have you sign up Gwendolen. LOOKIE! Someone here actually LIKES me!! :eek: ;) :p

My kids aren't a problem, my mom will watch them till she goes to work and then my grandma would watch them after she left.

As for delivery, as I say, I worry about my van. It's already got lots of miles and I'm scared it will take a crap. LOL

And I DID apply at MickeyD's..they never did call back. :rolleyes: Now if THAT doesn't make a person feel low, I don't know what does. LOL

MommyG3
04-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
:D Glad to have you sign up Gwendolen. LOOKIE! Someone here actually LIKES me!! :eek: ;) :p

And I DID apply at MickeyD's..they never did call back. :rolleyes: Now if THAT doesn't make a person feel low, I don't know what does. LOL

I like you, too. Hee hee, but you already know that.

Sorry MickeyD's didn't call. I suppose you could start calling around. I did that and I got hired.

~MK~
04-30-2003, 07:21 AM
I haven't even gotten an interview. :eek:

I hate Iowa. Luckily I'm probably moving to Illinois. Hopefully I'll have better luck there.

dlwt
04-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Call back the people who you applied with. Sometimes they get so many ap's they are not sure who to hire and maybe if you call at the right time :))
Good luck, I know its hard

Debbie

~MK~
04-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Well I just did an online application for Sears. Then it said please wait while we compute your results.

Then it came up with a screen for me to set up an interview, and now I just got an email confirming for Saturday. :eek:

Now...what to wear...

dlwt
04-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Dont put all your eggs in one basket (I know I do hiring myself for Professional Drivers). Do as many interviews as possible. Who knows you may have your "choice" in jobs. :))
Good luck with Sears. What I know about Sears is that they make sure you dont get enough hours to get benefits but it pays the bills.

Debbie

schsa
04-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Try for a navy dress or at least something conservative. Fold your hands on your lap and keep them there. Fidgiting drives me crazy when I have to interview someone. Be open to any position from the stock room to the floor or the office. And let them know that you are interested in retail because of the customer contact (don't say "I like people"). And smile. Smiling is very important because it shows that you are open and friendly. Don't be afraid of the interviewer. Listen to the questions and answer them honestly. Many people do poorly in interviews because they either don't understand the question (in which case you can ask the interviewer to rephrase the question) or they are anticipating the question and come out with an off the wall answer.

You will do just fine. Be polite and professional. And I wish you all of the best!!

redrig
04-30-2003, 10:15 AM
You might also want to skip perfume, you never know what someone might be allergic to

~MK~
04-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Well this one is in the office, so we'll have to see. They SAY full time..LOL

Thanks for the tips all!

MommyG3
04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
I hope you get it...I hope you get it. (((((((((((MK))))))))))))))

I will be praying and sending good vibes.