PDA

View Full Version : I got wrote up at work

pae1968
04-27-2003, 02:29 PM
I work in a grocery store usually in the mornings, but the boss put me on one night, so I had to run register and also do office work at the same time. I should have been paying more attention, but it's kinda hard when you want to get things done as quickly as possible and sometimes lose sight of what's going on around you. I had a new cashier on the floor, not really new she's been there for a few weeks, but anyways, she let the line get backed up to I guess about 9 people, and didn't call for me or anything, until she called me for the upteenth time for a problem at her register. As soon as I walked out the door of the office, my jaw dropped at the sight of the line, and I quickly ran over and took care of her problem, and then jumped on my register to get the line down, it didn't take that long, since they were all small orders, but I really don't know how long they were standing there. I have never let it happen before, even on my normal shift, but then there are more workers there during the day so they know to call me for help if needed. But since I wasn't "doing my job" even tho I was actually doing my job, they wrote me up for it. Sorry to vent and whine, but sometimes us workers at a grocery store do get the blunt end of the deal, I guess the customer wanted me fired for it, I've been with the company since 1995, have 6 kids to support, and I work full time. Granted customer service sucks there anyways, corporate keeps cutting our hours, then management cuts the cashiers hours even more to give her stock clerks more hours, which isnt right, we try our best to get the customer out of there quickly, I don't even like standing in line, and there's been quite a few times when I got stuck in the same situation, when I wasnt working and I was right there along whining with the rest of the customers. Sorry for the vent, but I feel much better.

mlathroum
04-27-2003, 02:49 PM
that is sad!! You shouldn't have been written up for doing what you were assigned to do. You took care of the problem as soon as you saw it. I would right a grevince on it. There is get to be someway to get rid of it.
I had a floor girl who heard me and another customer complaining about the cashier goin on break in the garden department and leaving us standing at her register. SHe came out and took care of the problem. When the manager finally showed up she yelled at the girl. The customers told the manager off for doing it to.

mrs.john
04-27-2003, 03:07 PM
I would think that the boss would understand that you're not used to that shift and the extra office work that comes with it. I'm sorry they didn't see it that way. And it's not like you took care of her problem and walked away, you stayed there and helped get the line down. Hope your next working day goes better for you. {{{pae}}}

kelblend
04-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Shoot the grocery store I go to seems to be like that alll the time. You see 2 to 3 girls in the office part and I know they are busy, but they never help. It gets on my nerves. Kudos to you for helping her. She should have known to call you earlier as well. If they have you doing office, then it seems like they should have at least 2 cashiers scheduled. I don't think you should have been written, heck you handled it!! They couldn't have been standing there all that long especially if it was all small orders.

schsa
04-27-2003, 04:36 PM
If this is the first write up you have had in the 6 years you have worked there, I would ignore it. You were doing the best you could under the circumstances and you can't always please everyone. Your boss probably did this in response to the number of complaints that he received.

Let this one go. If you have the opportunity to reply to the write up I would write down what happened from your perspective. It makes the write up look much better for you if you can reply to their actions.

Smile00
04-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Sure you weren't working at Quality Markets? I'll tell you that I worked there for about 6 months and they made my working experience there a living hell. I didn't even ask for trouble, just doing my job and the manager just hated me so he was always on my case for little things. Customer service is nice except when you get to serve a bunch of mean people who think they can treat you like dirt because you work in the customer service biz. A tip for those ppl who treat customer service employees like garbage... treat others how you'd like to be treated... you might be in that person's shoes one day.

mesue
04-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Gosh that sucks like a hoover, so sorry this happened to you.

krisharry
04-28-2003, 12:49 PM
That stinks! I wouldn't worry too much about it, one
write up isn't bad. Good luck:)

MommyG3
04-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Smile00
A tip for those ppl who treat customer service employees like garbage... treat others how you'd like to be treated... you might be in that person's shoes one day.

AMEN!!!! I worked at a grocery store and Wal*Mart in my younger years and I have found that I am usually the one that initiates the smiles...AND I AM THE CUSTOMER NOW.

*StarDust*
04-28-2003, 01:53 PM
That Sucks!!! you were doing your job and handled the line and helped as soon as it came to your attention.
Now is the write up going to affect you when if comes time to figure out your next raise?
If it is I would try to get it off your record but if not then I agree that since it's only 1 write up in almost 8 years even though I think that 1 shouldn't be on there for this reason to just leave it alone.
Sorry this happened.

pae1968
04-29-2003, 02:00 PM
I did file a grievance, but when we had our meeting, the manager wouldn't even think about throwing it away, the only thing that is saving me is that the assistant manager didn't ask me who I wanted to represent me, seeing as I am the union steward of the store. So it should be thrown out for that reason. Thank you to all your support, I should print everyone's reply out and show it to my boss. :o). Things are going well, and I thought the boss would start treating me like crap, but she's not.
also replying here to SmileOO.........you got the store right!! Which store did you work at?