PDA

View Full Version : good vibes and prayers pls very scared (long, sorry)

justme23
04-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Some of you know I was supposed to go on the 15th to have all my teeth removed (genetics and drinking only soda caused this, if you are a soda drinker, let this be a lesson to you, brush LOTS). They initially were going to do it in an OR in the hospital but at the last minute my medical insurance backed out and we couldn't afford the OR or the anesthesiologist. So my oral surgeon said he would do it in his office under just a local anesthesia instead.

Well when I get there, they have me sign consent forms (do I have to sign my life away for *everything?*) and put me in the chair. No big deal, I couldn't wait to wake up and not have the horrible pain I live w/ daily and finally not be 'sick' all the time. Well, they start my i.v. and pump the local in and my heart rate skyrockets. I have perfect blood pressure (even being a fluffy ppl always tell me how lucky I am, I have the blood pressure of someone half my size) so no one can figure out what the problem is. My heart rate has been high all my life tho, hovering around 96 at all times but it flew to 140 about 30 seconds after he gave me the local. He gave me a shot of something to bring it down, which did, for about a minute, then went right back up.

He talked to hubby about it and they agreed it was just too dangerous to keep me sedated for the 2 hours the OS would need w/out being in a hospital setting and a licensed anesthesiologist to monitor me. So he woke me up and attempted to explain things to me (I, at the time, was more entertained by his third eyeball and really didn't have the capacity to understand right then... I love anesthesia.. lol). Anyways, he sent me to my primary physician to have tests run. They are testing my thyroid and a couple other things that I really didn't understand and gave me an ekg. I was still tachicardia(sp), w/ normal heart rates between 60 and 100, mine was 102. So at the ripe old age of 26 I am being sent to a cardiologist for a stress test. I'm too fluffy to do a normal stress test hooked to a treadmill, so they are going to inject me w/ something to speed my heart up to see how much it can take.

I have to tell yall, I am scared beyond scared. I cry about it everyday since I got the news. They want me (or my heart) stressed to the max. I'm not allowed any nicotine or caffeine 24 hours before, so that just adds even more to the stres which I guess is good for them but has my tummy in knots. I kept asking my doc if this injection could give me a heart attack and she assures me it's very well controlled and I will be fine but I just am having a hard time dealing and am sooo scared that I'd rather just live with my horribly rotten teeth and be sick forever than risk dying over this stress test... which amounts to even more stress. I've been losing it out both ends over the stress I'm already putting myself through, I can't imagine what will come of this and what really pisses me off is my heart rate has ALWAYS been high, why has no one made a big deal out of it until now? If it's so bad and my chart always reflects a high heart rate, why haven't I been tested before? Are things like this always ignored until someone says 'hey do something about it!' Shouldn't I have been told by *someone* that it is an issue before now?

I don't know... I just needed to talk really. My hubby used to be an emt and also worked in an ER for a while and my cousin works in the 3rd busiest er in the country. They both keep telling me I am stressing myself over nothing and to calm down, and I know they are saying it w/ love but it's just not working and is really starting to irritate me. Sometimes I'd just rather a hug and a shoulder to cry on than always 'just relax'. I know that sounds ungreatful but I just can't help it.

Anyways, if you managed to get this far, thank you for reading. I tried to seperate it in to more paragraphs even tho it's not a strong point so it would be easier to read for everyone, too. Thanx you guys.

BeanieLuvR
04-26-2003, 10:22 PM
{{{{justme23}}}} I will be praying for you.

ahippiechic
04-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts. Let us know when you're going for the tests, I'll light a candle for you.

justme23
04-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ahippiechic
Keeping you in my thoughts. Let us know when you're going for the tests, I'll light a candle for you.

I go at 7 am on the 30th... I think that's wednesday? And thank you both!

1busymomma
04-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Man, how can they tell you to calm down? My dbf tells me that all the time when I am stressed over something major and I just wanna smack him with a wet noodle.

(((((((((((((((justme23)))))))))))))))

I'll have to light a mental candle for you while I am at work. Please know you are in my thoughts.

Bohemut
04-26-2003, 10:39 PM
(((((((((((justme23)))))))))))

I'm fluffy too. And my heart rate is always higher, like around 80-90. I've had a couple of doctors tell me that it's normal for a fluffy person to have a higher heart rate. Like you my blood pressure is always fine (actually I tend to run on the low side). I've had a stress test, echocardiography, had to wear a halter monitor for 48 hours and have had numerous EKGs. They have never found a problem. (This was all done because when I was pregnant and very sick with toxemia I had heart palpitations, etc..) I am fine, and so is my heart. A fast heart rate should be checked out but doesn't necessary mean you have a heart problem.

The one thing I don't understand though is why they can't do a normal stress test. I'm very fluffy, and was when I had my stress test. I had a normal stress test. My understanding is that unless you're grossly obese (like 600+ lbs) there should be no problem with a standard stress test. I've seen reports on many people 400+ lbs who have had stress tests (I used to work in medical insurance) and I never saw anything like what you're saying. I'd want a second opinion if I were in your place. JMO.

Ashlee
04-26-2003, 10:54 PM
(((justme23))HUGS AND GOOD WISHES your way!

justme23
04-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bohemut
(((((((((((justme23)))))))))))

I'm fluffy too. And my heart rate is always higher, like around 80-90. I've had a couple of doctors tell me that it's normal for a fluffy person to have a higher heart rate. Like you my blood pressure is always fine (actually I tend to run on the low side). I've had a stress test, echocardiography, had to wear a halter monitor for 48 hours and have had numerous EKGs. They have never found a problem. (This was all done because when I was pregnant and very sick with toxemia I had heart palpitations, etc..) I am fine, and so is my heart. A fast heart rate should be checked out but doesn't necessary mean you have a heart problem.

The one thing I don't understand though is why they can't do a normal stress test. I'm very fluffy, and was when I had my stress test. I had a normal stress test. My understanding is that unless you're grossly obese (like 600+ lbs) there should be no problem with a standard stress test. I've seen reports on many people 400+ lbs who have had stress tests (I used to work in medical insurance) and I never saw anything like what you're saying. I'd want a second opinion if I were in your place. JMO.

I haven't had a chance to talk to the cardiologist or his nurses yet. I have to call monday. They called Friday and left a message but I never heard the phone ring and got the message too late. I am what doctors consider morbidly obese for my height and bone structure but I am not 600 pounds. Far from it. I weigh 275. I can't believe I just admitted that on an open forum. lol. But I will tell them what you told me when I call and find out why this way and not the tredmill. Thx for the info, I appreciate it. And thank you all for the prayers and good vibes, it means alot to me!

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you also, Bohemut, that I don't think they intended to do the stress test, but my heart seems to skip a beat quite often. Sometimes 2 or 3 a day but that's very rare (like once every 3 months or so, usually 1 a day or so. My physician said that concerned her more than the high heart rate.

the1bea
04-27-2003, 10:22 AM
The hubby has heart probs. It is one of the many inherited probs passed down by his fam. he is only 28, and this month I made him go to a new doc, who checked him out really good! He has high choleresterol, high blood pressure(we knew that), has bad heart sounds. She put him on a daily asprin, and a med to control his high BP and his heart. Now this also something else to add to his list of med probs, depression, back/nerve/leg probs, bi polar, ulcers, ect... So justme23, you are not alone with health issues being so young. I am doing everything that I can to take care of myself(I am 24), because I have to take care of my son(who has health probs), hubby, and I can not be sick! I dont think that it is never too late to start aiming for better/healthier lifestyle. I hope all goes well for you.

kelblend
04-27-2003, 10:38 AM
(((justme23))) It'll be okay!!!

ladybreaker
04-27-2003, 10:41 AM
she's highly allergic to the "normal" forms of anesthesia and they have to use a special one on her.like her, i can't have traditional novacaine due to the epinephrine(sp?) they put in it!! maybe the allergy is all it is with you??? will say prayers for you that you "problems" are simple to solve and nothing too serious!

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

ladybreaker

mlathroum
04-27-2003, 01:52 PM
((((((justme23))))))
I am a cardiology technician. I run the stress testing along with the Dr's. I also read the 24 hour heart monitors that the patients wear.
The test they want you to have is called a Persantine Thallium stress test. Other places may call it a Myocardial Perfusion Scan. It all depends on the place where it is done but it is done the same way.
When you get there they will have you fill out the normal history paperwork, make copies of your insurance cards and ask you why you are having the test. PLEASE make sure you explain what happened at the dentist office to the technician, nurse and Dr. That way everyone knows exactly what happened. They will then hook you up to an IV. Give you a small injestion of a "nuclear" agent. It will not hurt you in anyway, normally there are no allergic reactions to it. They will place you under a camera which will rotate over your chest. You will have to lay flat for this test. If that is a problem you will have to tell them that before you recieve the IV. Someplaces can work around that and have you stand. Other places they only have the camera where you have to lay down.
When that set of picture is finished you will have to wait until it is your turn for your "stress test". The reason some patients have this test is because some treadmill machine have a weight limit. The one I used would go to 350 lbs. I have heard of some going to 400lb. Again though it depends on where it is done..
One it is your turn. You will be asked to lay down or sit up on a table or stretcher. You will be injected with a medication that will speed your heart up but it isn't alot. Normally a persons heartrate is around 80-90 at rest. This "might" take you up to 150 at rest. When being stressed on the treadmill depending on your age I have had patients heartrates be worked up to 250 if they are young (20-30).
Once your heartrate is where they need it to be or a certain amount of time has passed they will again inject your IV with the nuclear agent. After the stress portion is over. A second set of pictures will be taken.
At the end of the day the physician that reads these will dictate a report, it will be typed and should be back in their office within 3 business days. If they physician sees something while reading it he would call your Dr STAT with a reading so further precausions can be taken.
Don't worry it really is an easy test and the people who do these are very well trained.
With the skipped heartbeat you mentioned they probably will do the 24 heart monitor depending on what the strest test says. They sometimes will do one if the stress is negative to make sure there isn't any other rhythm problem going on.
With a patient who's heart rate will not stabilize on anestesia they have to do the stress test to make sure there isn't anything going on. 9 times out of 10 everything is absolutley perfect. That one little person "might" have to go on to more testing or just need medications to keep the heart rate normal. You will probably need to have a "cardiac workup" anytime you will need surgery in the future.
I hope this helped. Let us know how it goes.

cherish328
04-27-2003, 07:33 PM
I worked in a Cardiologist office for 1 year.....the test that they are going to do on you, is not a big deal....don't get me wrong, some people can have problems, but that is rare. You said something about thyroid. I have thyroid problems, and my heart does all kinds of crazy things, but I know what they are now, so I really don't worry about it a whole lot whne it happens, although - at times it really scares the doo doo right out of me....things will be fine! let me know what happens!!!