PDA

View Full Version : My puppy AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

ntgsmommy
04-26-2003, 06:35 PM
OK, I took my yorkie who is 10 months old to the vet today because she has been limping around for a couple of weeks. One time she will be fine and walk and run on it, and other times she will carry her back foot. Anyways, I take her in today, and the vet tells me she could have avasular necrosis of the femoral head which is a disease of the hip joints of miniature and toy breeds. She (the vet) also tells me it could be a patellar luxation of her knee cap, but first, she put her on a medicine called Deramaxx--I was wondering if any of you all ever put your dog or cats on this, and if you did, if anything bad ever happened to them. After I got home from the vet's office, I looked at this medicine on the internet, and I have read nothing but bad news about this...I'm hoping that nothing bad will happen..any info anyone???:confused:

WitchyGurl
04-26-2003, 07:47 PM
The first thing that went through my mind when you said limping was her knee caps! It's a much more common problem than avasular necrosis. There's a surgery to repair the knee caps. It's expensive but your dog will develop arthritis in the knees if it is not corrected. I don't know about the medication. Tell your vet about your consern with the medication. Make sure you have a correct diagnosis before giving your dog anything.
As with human medical care, don't be afraid to go get a second opinion.
I've met many a vet with their head up their you know where!
It took my Mother's dog's Vet over a year to figure out her Cocker Spaniel did NOT have a problem with his immune system.
He had MITES!
Yup, there's a quack in every medical field, even vets:(

Don't be afraid to ask questions and if the answers are not clear, don't be afraid to change vets.
;)

jspumoni
04-26-2003, 09:20 PM
That is terriable!!! I want to get a puppy and this is heartbreaking.
I hope for the best for all of you.
Have you tried going to the BBS Research Center for info on this?

it is here

http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=151540&highlight=help+finding

ntgsmommy
04-27-2003, 10:15 AM
thanks for the help everyone! I'll check jspumoni--didn't even know there was a forum for that!

Kyla Kym
04-27-2003, 11:01 AM
ntgsmommy, I e-mailed this lady when Witchy Girl's ears drooped once. And she got right back with me on how to tape them up.

You might try and e-mail her to see what she knows about it.
I don't think she offers e-mail help, but I took a chance and she got back with me before the day was out.
http://www.shooterdog.com/alexfaq.htm

Good Luck!

brumzoo
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Deramaxx is like Rimadyl. It is cheaper. We just got some in at the Vet clinic where I work & just sold some to a client who has an old lab with hip dysplasia. She was using Rimadyl, but Rimadyl is sooo expensive. I have not heard any complaints from her yet!
Good luck! And by all means, do not hesitate to get a second opinion!