PDA

View Full Version : Big Cheaters!!

schsa
04-26-2003, 05:14 PM
I spend time in my garden in the spring, planting, nurturing and making things bloom and grow. I have over $1000 in bulbs and flowering bushes all over my yard so that I have something in bloom year round. It takes time and patience to do this.

My neighbor's yard yesterday morning was nothing but grass. I got home last night and the entire yard is blooming! I mean hundreds of flowers everywhere. In pots and in the ground. It looked fabulous. I was wondering who had come and landscaped because I know it wasn't them.

I get up this morning for my walk and I go slowly past my neighbor's yard to admire what has been done. All of the flowers are......SILK!!

She has spent a fortune sticking silk flowers all over her yard. Talk about cheating!! I suppose in the fall she'll just pull them up and throw them out!! Is there no justice in this world???

cpbaby
04-26-2003, 05:40 PM
WOW! I hope she has a clue when things are suppose to QUIT blooming and take them down at the proper times. If not, shes going to be the talk of the neighborhood.

1busymomma
04-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Oh, that's tacky......at least IMO. I prefer the real deal myself.

Bohemut
04-26-2003, 05:52 PM
I have a neighbor down the street who uses silk flowers in a couple of planter boxes. They are to "accent" the plain green stuff she has growing in the planters. It's okay, but in the winter, it's just tacky. Hopefully your neighbor has a clue, like cpbaby said. :D

I try to spend some time gardening, but I'm limited to the edges of the flower garden because it's too small for walkways to accomodate my wheelchair. With DD's and her friend's help we've got at least a couple hundred bulbs planted and mostly perennial flowers. I also have several self seeding annuals. But my flower garden is being taken over by rouge pansies. They're everywhere! They've even cross pollinated so I have some very strange flowers. :rolleyes:

miccit
04-26-2003, 05:53 PM
We have a neighbor that has silk flowers everywhere in her yard and she leaves them up year round. Oh yeah, that looks natural.:rolleyes:

I probably shouldn't say anything about anyone elses yard since mine looks like blind drunk monkeys landscaped it! When we moved in here the landlord said oh someone will be out to landscape and replace the windows. That was September. But, they leave me alone and that is all I care about!

cpbaby
04-26-2003, 05:56 PM
I put fake green ivy in my window box becuase NOTHING will grow there. It gets NO sun and NO water. I take it down after the first frost.

mom4angels
04-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Silk flowers in the yard is tacky. Think what they are going to look like after a couple of rain storms. Schsa , just be proud of the hard work that you did on yours to make it beautiful. Also think about how hers are going to look to if a neighbor dog or cat pees on them Yuck

rain_cries
04-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Reminds me of an I Love Lucy show where she planted wax flowers in her neighbor's yard because she accidentally mowed them...

odyssey
04-26-2003, 08:30 PM
rain_cries that is what I was gonna say.

well many years ago one's of Mothers my properties was up for sale. SHe is a gardener but in one area of the property nothing grow it was getting worse, she spent hours watering, feeding replanting. So when the house was on the market she stuck in silk flowers, she spent lots of money on it too. It looked very nice, unless you went to right to smell it you wouldnt have know it was fake.

newwiccan
04-26-2003, 08:38 PM
My old neighbors "planted" plastic flowers in their yards. Talk about tacky!

BeanieLuvR
04-26-2003, 08:45 PM
I have never heard of anyone doing that before. :confused:
I am sure yours are nicer and smell good too. :) :D

Ashlee
04-26-2003, 08:49 PM
(((Schsa))) OH I am hoping to get my back yard blooming year round? DO u buy locally? Are there any websites u use 4 information?

Anyone else know?

Donnagg123
04-26-2003, 09:15 PM
To be honest, I see nothing wrong with it. You said it looked fabulous, so I take that it looks good after she did it. I would probably do the same thing in my yard if I had thought of it ;)

Shancopp
04-27-2003, 07:05 AM
This reminded me of a man (bachelor) at the place I used to work. Everyone ribbed him about the "fake bushes" in his yard. I had never heard of them, so drove past his house and sure enough, he had "fake" bushes (don't know what kind)...they were very very dark green and fake looking from the street! And the kicker was, he'd have up by the house one year, then the next he'd move them down by the street, etc!! Good Grief!!!!

Gitty
04-27-2003, 09:25 AM
We have a older lady, up in town that has the fake flowers everywhere. She has her spring, summer, fall, and winter flowers and she changes them by the season. She also has christmas lights she changes by the season too. The lights come on at dusk and go out at dawn. Years ago she had real flowers. But with her getting older, she has went to the fake ones. Cause she just can't do the yard work anymore. But she still wants a pretty yard.

ladybreaker
04-27-2003, 11:01 AM
ummmmmmmmmmm..............can you please come to my house and plant all these bulbs i have in the barn?????lol maybe i'll get to it before it gets too-too late(or is it too late already??)

schsa
04-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Ashlee, I live in the South as well and I buy alot from a local nursery. I have something in bloom almost year round. Of course we had so much rain this spring I wasn't sure what would happen but as it turns out, everything that I thought I had killed last year is coming up now.

Go ask a local nursery. Camillas in the winter and azaleas in the summer and then day lilies for color from May to October. Then just add load of bulbs to add more color. Not all flowers bloom in the spring and many are developed so that they do bloom only in the fall.

As for my neighbor, this is the same person that had "reindeer" on her front lawn until about a month ago. I don't mind the occasional use of silk but the entire yard??? Maybe she's having a wedding or something so she feels that it has to look good.

Ladybreaker, just dig a hole and put those bulbs in. You can even layer them. And bulbs are so easy because they need minimal care.

corkster
04-28-2003, 02:59 AM
wow:rolleyes: I have this urge to see a pic of that yard lol. It just ain't koscher ya know??? hehe

joesbaby
04-28-2003, 06:15 AM
when my dh first moved into his place..we had just started dating. so i went by his place just to look at it..barren..nothing there..and the guy was a bachlor..soooo to be funny..i went and spent about 30 on fake flowers..girly flowers..and went and planted them around his trees..and by the sidewalks..you should have seen the look on his face when he got home that night..i thought id killed him he looked so stunned..but it was a huge joke for along time with his family..how he got such..pretty flowers...in his yard..lol.. ;)

odyssey
04-28-2003, 08:12 AM
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/bloembord1.gif

dlwt
04-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Oh man thats no fun. silk flowers?? A lady down the street from me has plastic she has had the SAME plastic flowers for years they certainly are faded LOL.
My yard is the one like yours with TONS of Real flowers in it. To much fun and work but we love it

MommyG3
04-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Sorry, but I am laughing. I could just see someone around here doing that. LOL. Enjoy your real flowers, Schsa...:D

Kyla Kym
04-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by schsa
I spend time in my garden in the spring, planting, nurturing and making things bloom and grow. I have over $1000 in bulbs and flowering bushes all over my yard so that I have something in bloom year round. It takes time and patience to do this.

My neighbor's yard yesterday morning was nothing but grass. I got home last night and the entire yard is blooming! I mean hundreds of flowers everywhere. In pots and in the ground. It looked fabulous. I was wondering who had come and landscaped because I know it wasn't them.

I get up this morning for my walk and I go slowly past my neighbor's yard to admire what has been done. All of the flowers are......SILK!!

She has spent a fortune sticking silk flowers all over her yard. Talk about cheating!! I suppose in the fall she'll just pull them up and throw them out!! Is there no justice in this world???

I forgot to comment on this the other day when you wrote it. I thought it was the funniest thing I had heard in a while. I had to call my mom and tell her about it. LOL :D

heartlvrs
04-28-2003, 07:40 PM
You must be a "REDNECK" if you "plant" silk flowers....

lmbo!!

Never saw this myself until I moved to NC....lol

katzenberg
04-29-2003, 07:11 AM
iuse fake flowers but you woudnt know it the look real.and they are there until my real flowers come up.if you do them right it shoudnt look tacky.

hotwheelstx
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by schsa

Aggie is into gardening since he works for the county in the Ag. dept. We have truly spent a "small fortune" putting in a bog garden, flowers, plants, planted trees (peach, pear, apple). Also, we ripped out all the stuff the builders put in the yard and planted new grass, rose bushes.

Aggie wanted new fuller, greener grass. We are not trying to win "yard of the month", any prizes, money. He just likes doing it and it's starting to look wonderful.

Wouldn't you know that our new neighbors (a family) dad was out there putting in a water garden, planting flowers, tearing up the grass.

People are soooooooooooooooo competitive. It's not a FRICKIN' CONTEST w/us. Aggie just likes to do it and enjoys the outcome of his work.

Some people need to really get a life.

It's beyond me what people will do to keep up w/the "Jone's".

Not worth it in my opinion.

Kelsey1224
04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by hotwheelstx
Aggie is into gardening since he works for the county in the Ag. dept. We have truly spent a "small fortune" putting in a bog garden, flowers, plants, planted trees (peach, pear, apple). Also, we ripped out all the stuff the builders put in the yard and planted new grass, rose bushes.

Aggie wanted new fuller, greener grass. We are not trying to win "yard of the month", any prizes, money. He just likes doing it and it's starting to look wonderful.

Wouldn't you know that our new neighbors (a family) dad was out there putting in a water garden, planting flowers, tearing up the grass.

People are soooooooooooooooo competitive. It's not a FRICKIN' CONTEST w/us. Aggie just likes to do it and enjoys the outcome of his work.

Some people need to really get a life.

It's beyond me what people will do to keep up w/the "Jone's".

Not worth it in my opinion.

I don't know your neighbors...but is it possible that they are doing it to their yard because they also like working in the yard? Or...maybe they saw how nice your yard looked and wanted something comparable. Rather than consider that they are competing with you...maybe they are complementing you.

Plus...don't you want the neighbors' yards to look as nice as yours? It can only bring up your property values.

We are purchasing a new house and will be paying a landscaper a fortune to do the back yard. (At least I think it is a fortune.) I am not doing it to impress anyone (well...maybe to impress all our new neighbors...LOL.) We are doing it because we have brand new floors and carpeting and I don't want the dogs tracking in red clay (indigenous to my yard) into the house.

Plus, we do entertain a lot and want the backyard to be beautiful for the summer.

BTW...the builder is landscaping the front yard and also did our slopes in our backyard. We will be adding to what they did.

However...it won't be my hands digging in that dirt...yuuuchhhh!

Sunee
04-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Fireball
ewwwwwwwwww!
That's just downright creepy!
What kind of freak would want FAKE flowers in their garden?
It's sorta twisted...like some creepy scary neighbors in a movie who put fake flowes in their garden and end up being seriel murderers.
Sorry, but that's about the creepiest sickest thing I've ever heard in my life. Like someone who can't understand normal behavior and does weird things 'cause they're a sociapath and has lost touch with REALITY!

:p It's not like they molested the flower petals or hacked off the stems with an ax. They just added some silk flowers to their yard.

Like someone else said, maybe she's having a wedding, shower or big group of people over for a special occasion and just wanted the yard to look nice. Some people might use the fake flowers because they physically can't do the work or can't afford to hire someone to do it and just want a nice looking yard. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. To each his own :).

I bet your yard is beautiful schsa :).

Posted by Kelsey1224
I don't know your neighbors...but is it possible that they are doing it to their yard because they also like working in the yard? Or...maybe they saw how nice your yard looked and wanted something comparable. Rather than consider that they are competing with you...maybe they are complementing you.

Plus...don't you want the neighbors' yards to look as nice as yours? It can only bring up your property values.

I agree. Maybe they enjoy gardening as much as your husband does. Maybe they want their lawn to look as nice as the rest of the neigbhborhoods.

My neighbor has a bathtub with dead plants in his front yard :rolleyes:. I wish he would put some silk flowers in it if he insists on using it as a planter :p

mesue
04-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
I

However...it won't be my hands digging in that dirt...yuuuchhhh!

There is nothing like getting your hands dirty and watching things grow and knowing to some small extent you had something to do with that plant growing and flourishing.

hotwheelstx
04-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by mesue
There is nothing like getting your hands dirty and watching things grow and knowing to some small extent you had something to do with that plant growing and flourishing.

mesue,

That's what Aggie says. I say "NO WAY". You won't see me doing that in the yard. I'll sit there and watch..............LOL better yet I'll stay inside where it's nice and cool...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: