PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a checker just give you something?

Kyla Kym
04-26-2003, 04:14 PM
After reading Kelblends thread, I started thinking about the last time I went how the cashier was acting. She was stressed out you could tell but wasn't saying anything. Just kinda quiet like. I had a item in my buggy that was the last item on the shelf but the tags was missing. I told her this and told her that I had bought one before and I thought it was $5.00. She just looked at me and then shrugged her sholders and put it in my sack and never rang it up. I've had that happen several times. Even at Wal-Marts.

Anyone else ever have a cashier do that before?

*StarDust*
04-26-2003, 04:31 PM
I've had it happen once it was the really early morning hours at the grocery store probably around 3:30 or 4:00 AM I think the guy just didn't want to go and look at what the price was and didn't feel like calling anyone else to do it. Since there wasn't barely anyone else in there he didn't get in trouble for it.

Bohemut
04-26-2003, 05:05 PM
No, but I have had them sell something to me for a ridiculous price, like a quarter. They used to do that all the time for me at this one store, but don't so much anymore since they were bought out by Kroger.

schsa
04-26-2003, 05:07 PM
And then stores wonder why they loose money. What you don't pay for today you will pay for with higher costs in the future. I am very conscious of this sort of behavior because I worked retail for so many years. If she is caught doing this, she looses her job. It's the same as stealing.

1busymomma
04-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Never had that happen, but it did happen to a friend of mine. She thought she had purchased a gallon jar of Salsa only to find out after she got home it never rang up so she took it back with the intent to pay for it and the manager told her to keep it as it was their mistake!!!

ntgsmommy
04-26-2003, 05:20 PM
I used to work at Wal-Mart, and I have too just given things away. We we constantly times about how fast we scanned things to get the customers out of the door, so they didn't have to stand in line. I tore all the tags off the clothes (this was the time when they had those 2 part tickets) and layed them all on the counter, and thought I had scanned all her clothes but I knew I missed something (or two or three) but it was such a rush that day I just let it go....I bet they were happy when they got home!

EricsnKy
04-26-2003, 06:45 PM
I've never been given anything like that - Also when I worked in retail I don't believe I ever gave anything away in that fashion. Although when something didn't have a tag and they'd tell me what they "thought" the price was, if it sounded reasonable than I'd just go ahead and do it instead of calling for a price check. Say if someone brought a package of 5 gel ink pens , but they didnt scan. If the customer thought they were $3.50, I'd give them the pens for $3.50. We were told to just use your own good judgement, if it sounded reasonable than do it.

Some cashiers give things away than wonder why their bonus checks arent bigger at the start of the year, or why the company can't give bigger raises.

Missing Inventory = Lost Profits = Less Bonus/Less PayRoll $$

momfromTN
04-26-2003, 06:47 PM
I bought some folders a few months ago at Walmart and the girl asked me how many I had (i had 10). She said she never bothers to count them, as it is too much trouble. I told her she could be letting people steal from the store. Then I reported her. She also was so slow and was too busy talking to her co workers that walked by and was really rude about my check (I have an out of state license-LONG story but soon to be rectified). I reported the WHOLE thing. I hope she got canned.

lynde
04-26-2003, 11:22 PM
i had a girl at kmart during xmas do that 1 time-kinda-the parker bros games were b1g1f and they had games that were bundled together-she said those games were not included in the sale-however they were on display where the b1g1f games were-all the games not just mine-shed already had several people complain and had told them to move them and they didnt-so she gave me the deal;) 3 games for the price of 1

ladybreaker
04-27-2003, 10:51 AM
i'd have to agree that the checker's should not ever give items away because they don't feel like calling for a price check! this raises the costs for everyone! i've had occasions where i had given my little one a book to read or toy to play with and forgotten to pay for it--i have always returned to the store to pay because i do not want me kids to think it's o.k. to get something for free that way!

JMHO

ladybreaker

Kyla Kym
04-27-2003, 11:12 AM
It bothers me allot when they do this. But I never say nothing. I'm afraid to. I don't want to get them fired. They might be tired and don't feel like working that day because they are a single mom with 10 kids at home for all I know and If I get them fired they might not have no where to go. My imagination runs away with me on judgment issues. I what if myself into silence. But it makes me feel like I stole from the store instead of the cashier. And everytime I look at that item she gave to me I think of it. I have giving things away before just because of that. My conscience won't let me enjoy it. LOL

But I'm guilty of giving away stuff too. Like meat scraps out of the deli. I would give them to our best customers for their hunting dogs. They scrapes weren't mine to give. But they would have been thrown away anyway. My ex-boss was so mean though he would have preferred throwing things away rather then letting someone have them for free. I'm serious. When he and his wife got new carpet for their home the old was rolled up outside. I asked him if my friend could have it for her shop. His wife said no, because the carpet layers had been paid to haul it off. I found out later that they burned it themselves rather than letting someone have it that could have used it. So I'm guilty I guess of giving things away to. I also would give things away that venders left for promotions that where suppose to be giving to the customers anyway for free. My ex-boss would have fired me for it I guess if he had of known because he would sell it rather than just give it away.

Maeryn
04-27-2003, 12:51 PM
This is kind of related, so I wondered what y'all think. Have you or one of your kids ever accidentally broken something, then when you offered to pay for it, the store refused the money?? I know they're trying to be nice, but I know it must add up. (And some bonehead parents just let their kids run wild and don't care if something gets broken... they should have to pay for the damage.)

Kyla Kym
04-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Maeryn
Have you or one of your kids ever accidentally broken something, then when you offered to pay for it, the store refused the money?? I know they're trying to be nice, but I know it must add up. (And some bonehead parents just let their kids run wild and don't care if something gets broken... they should have to pay for the damage.)
No I've been lucky and never had that happen to me yet. But I did have allot of customers that broke things. And I expected them to pay for it. I had one couple get so mad at me they left with the counter full of items because I wanted them to pay for the bottle of medicine they knocked off the shelf. It was their fault for acting up in the store and trying to show out. The stuff cost $10.00. And they refused to pay for it. I explained to them that this was just a mom and pop store and someone had to eat the cost and it would be me since it's my responsibility to make sure it was paid for. They stormed out of the store like I was crazy. I had to pay the $10.00 out of my own pocket.

Also the cokes that got dropped were a huge pain in the butt to clean up. Glass and sticky coke everywhere. You would have to mop 10 times to get the sticky all up. It would get tracked all over the store, because when a glass bottle hits concrete it doesn't just break. It will explode and the coke and glass goes everywhere. So if any of you parents hand kids there drink to carry up to the register keep this in mind. There are lots of parents that do this too all the time. I have seen kids get cut from this. The glass will fly up and cut them after it hits the floor. It wasn't unusual for the coke to even be on the ceiling. So any of you that hand your child a drink to carry remember that.

cherish328
04-27-2003, 07:25 PM
I worked retail when I was younger and it does happen, when you are in such a rush (only because your employer wants you to get people in and out quickly). I always double checked everything...it might have made other people standing in line a little upset, but I had to have my job to pay bills....

Although, last summer I was in Kohl's shopping for my Honeymoon, and when I got home with my stuff, there was unpurchased stuff in my bags, and how I got out the store with it is beyond me. I went back to the store with everything that I had in the bag along with the recept, and talked with the store manager...they called the individual who checked me out into the office, with me still there, and asked why they put those items in my bags....of course that person said that they didn't do it, and lost there job anyway...come to find out, that same person had done that more than once. And people want to know why the prices of things are so high!!!!

momfromTN
04-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I don't give a rats rear end if they are a single mother or a 50 yr old granny, if they are PURPOSELY being dishonest, like in what happened to me, then they need to be reprimanded for dishonesty. A mistake is one thing, but blatent theft is another. Now about the meat scraps Kyla, I can see your point on those, LOL!!!

Kyla Kym
04-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN
I don't give a rats rear end if they are a single mother or a 50 yr old granny, if they are PURPOSELY being dishonest, like in what happened to me, then they need to be reprimanded for dishonesty. A mistake is one thing, but blatent theft is another. Now about the meat scraps Kyla, I can see your point on those, LOL!!!
I'm just the opposite, because I know in that woman's mind she thought she was doing something nice for me. And I just couldn't bring myself to get her in trouble even if she was wrong for doing it.

:) I guess that's what makes us all unique. Or different idea's on different issues. :)

And the meat scraps thing still bothers me as you can tell because I still think about it. I guess because I knew they weren't mine to give. But just the idea of throwing them away seems so stupid and wasteful. I just couldn't do it.

I can understand why you was upset with that checker. I would have been to. I don't like rude people either, especially when it's being directed at me. :p

OX_Love_OX
04-27-2003, 10:59 PM
I have had this happen...very frequently.

MommyG3
04-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Guilty...I think of lightbulbs. I didn't mean to not ring them up...it was a midnight maddness sale and, BOY, it was maddness. anywho, I was guilty. I make sure I pay for everything I buy.

ebgreen74
04-28-2003, 11:47 AM
some guy checker gave me some lettuce 1 time because neither he nor I knew the exact name of the lettuce and he didn't wish to investigate it further I guess.

As for the meat scraps, this is how its explained when you work at a buffet restaurant-most of which would rather throw the left over food away at night, rather than giving it away-they seem to think that the employees will cook too much on purpose so they can take it home for free, but that if its all being thrown out then they will go out of their way to cook just enough so as to not waste it. Same with the meat scraps I'm sure.

captorquewrench
04-28-2003, 12:03 PM
a couple of weeks ago in party city we went for a pinata.

rebekah was looking the little easter plush. rabbits, ducks, chickies. well she found a little horse with no tag. she wanted to get it for her horse crazed sister (that's who we were pinata shopping for)

when we got to the checkout the cashier said we have never carried these and gave her the horse.

???

i intended to pay for it, but i mean what was i supposed to do, put it back?

upon close inspection after arriving home, we decided it wasn't brand new :eek: liberal lysol plus febreze...i feel bad since it looks like somebody forgot it, but then again, my littlest one picked it as a gift for her older sister.

it was an unusual situation.

Kyla Kym
04-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ebgreen74
some guy checker gave me some lettuce 1 time because neither he nor I knew the exact name of the lettuce and he didn't wish to investigate it further I guess.

As for the meat scraps, this is how its explained when you work at a buffet restaurant-most of which would rather throw the left over food away at night, rather than giving it away-they seem to think that the employees will cook too much on purpose so they can take it home for free, but that if its all being thrown out then they will go out of their way to cook just enough so as to not waste it. Same with the meat scraps I'm sure.
Well actually it's a little different. The meat scraps I'm talking about are like the ends of lunch meat. Not like you could stretch the end of a lunch meat stick to be bigger than it is. You get to the end of the stick and that's that. You can't make it bigger or more of it. And there was bread heels (2 per bag right) I saved them as well for peoples dogs. I wouldn't bring it home to my dogs, I would give it to my bosses best customers for their hunting dogs.

This is a little different situation than what you are talking about. A resturant has more than 1 or 2 employees, so they have to do things like that to keep people honest. In my case, it wasn't a matter of keeping me honest. It was my boss was just pure dee old mean. He is one of the people that takes pleasure in others pain. And he threw away things rather than letting anyone have them that could use it.

Kyla Kym
04-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
a couple of weeks ago in party city we went for a pinata.

rebekah was looking the little easter plush. rabbits, ducks, chickies. well she found a little horse with no tag. she wanted to get it for her horse crazed sister (that's who we were pinata shopping for)

when we got to the checkout the cashier said we have never carried these and gave her the horse.

???

i intended to pay for it, but i mean what was i supposed to do, put it back?

upon close inspection after arriving home, we decided it wasn't brand new :eek: liberal lysol plus febreze...i feel bad since it looks like somebody forgot it, but then again, my littlest one picked it as a gift for her older sister.

it was an unusual situation.
You would be surprised at how much stuff is lost in a store. I've found things from half full baby bottles to Ray Ban sunglasses left laying on shelfs. Men are bad to leave wallets laying on air machines for some strange reason that happened allot. LOL