PDA

View Full Version : took the entire family grocery shopping,and...................

ladybreaker
04-26-2003, 11:25 AM
we're broke and have no food!!!!!!!! i don't usually take the hubby and oldest kids for this very reason but didn't feel like going alone.(have alot on my mind with my mom being so sick) the :buy me/gimme/get me crap startes before we even got in the door and didn't stop untill we left!!! we spent over $175.00(almost 1/2 our disability check) and we don't have much food in the house??????all of my bigger bills are due this week so there won't be anything left to get more food plus i need to raise cash to go to ohio to see my mom!i guess when it rains--it pours cuz i just realized i forgot to pay my car ins. and it cancelled today at midnight(this a.m.-not tonight) now i have to pay all those dang late fees and reinstatements!!!GRRRRRRRRRRR. i will NEVER take him to town with me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyla Kym
04-26-2003, 11:48 AM
((((ladybreaker)))) have you tried to get food stamps yet? That might help you make ends meet.

cpbaby
04-26-2003, 12:07 PM
I knew what you were going to say when I read the titel to this thread. I REFUSE to take my husband/or and my oldest to the grocery with me. My husband thinks that we NEED Oreos, chips, Milky Ways, Chocolate, flavored crackers, Coke and so on. I just dont normally buy that stuff and I can tell when they go. The little one sint as bad, except he wants LUNCHABLES, I can usually pay him off with one of the store brand ones.

{{{{{{{ladybreaker}}}}}}}}

justme23
04-26-2003, 12:23 PM
I must be the luckiest wife in the world (don't have kids, so not luckiest mom yet)... hubby takes me grocery shopping every payday weekend and I fill the cart w/ what I want or think I can/will cook and he never says a word... at checkout he only says anything if I've gone over what we can afford and he almost always puts back his stuff... guess guilt works better than beggin for me, I always feel guilty when he does that and put back all my stuff so he can have his feel good foods.

kelblend
04-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Shoot my kids now know that if it doesn't have a sale tag or I don't have a coupon, they aren't getting it. LOL Some items have to be on sale with a coupon and then they might. Butttt..... they still do the gimme stuff some. I'm sorry all that happened to ya.

{{{ladybreaker}}}

WitchyGurl
04-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Home made food cost about 1/4 that of store bought!
Like Peanut Butter Cookies.
1 Cup peanut butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 egg
Mix together and roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. Press the balls with a fork to make a # pattern. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before removing. You can use chunky peanut butter if you want.

Find some good simple cake recipies. Make your own icing or use fruit or pudding over the cake.
We like white cake with peaches in syrup over it.

Home-made food is healthier for you too!;)

Do you have a small area to grow some veggies this summer?
Have the kids help! Cucumbers and squash are very easy. Tomatoes need just a little extra care but are worth it. Starting your plants from seed is cheaper than buying plants!
This year I'm growing green beans, cukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini (you can't kill that stuff), pumpkin, and a lot of herbs!
I'm thinking about some popcorn, just a row or two.
Popcorn is a good healthy snack. Forget that micro-crap! just use a deep pan with a lid, a little oil and pop away!
It's low in fat and high in fiber! :D
If you want a few low-cost recipies, e-mail me at rainesfamily1@hotmail.com and I'll e-mail you some.
Get the kids into helping make the snacks. They'll feel proud they helped and will like the new snacks better than store bought in no time;)

Xica
04-26-2003, 01:45 PM
My mom always said she couldn't afford it and that was that. Now DH and I shop for whatever's on the list and even though we can afford it, luckily he doesn't ask for what's not listed.

{{{hugs}}} ladybreaker

mlathroum
04-26-2003, 03:04 PM
I do the grocery shopping and on the rare moments that I have lost all my brain cells I take them with me. The kids know that when I say NO I mean it. My problem is hubby also. He puts Lucky Charms in the basket. I don't allow junky cereals. Not good for their teeth or brains. He puts it in and I take it out. He puts it back in and I leave it until we get to the cash register. Then I hand it to the cashier and say "We changed our minds". He doesn't try it anymore. MAma always wins!! HEHE

mrs.john
04-26-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm lucky with the 2 y/o. He flirts with the ladies at the deli counter so they give him a cookie and he's happy. If I take the 7 y/o though, I might as well plan on spending $5-$10 more. Not on junk though--he always ask for yogurt or special water, so I can't really complain.

magenta
04-26-2003, 04:02 PM
When my kids ask for something in the grocery store, I say yes. Then when they ask for a second item I have them choose between the first and second item.

They may ask for for 10 different things in the store, but each only come out with one. They swap items the whole way through the store.

It works for us, and I haven't had them complain yet about not getting 2 or 3 different things.

:

odyssey
04-26-2003, 04:31 PM
I think that you need to budget more often.
try coupons and shopping whats on sale.
not just what you favorite brand is also be willing to go with others because in most cases they are similar.

when I shop with the hubby and kids. I have a mental calulator going in my head, adding the costs and rounding up most always. Before I got to the store if I know that the I have a $100 limit which includes the diapers, shampoos I put those in the cart first and then shop the foods.

newwiccan
04-26-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm so lucky. I don't have this problem. My son is allowed one special treat if he behaves and helps me. If he doesn't, he won't get anything and he knows it. As for hubby,he asks for a few junk food things but that's it. (He doesn't usually go with me so I can decide if I want to get it or not.)

schsa
04-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Being single, I don't have to worry about someone else spending my money for me but it drives me crazy to think that I spend so much on groceries. Even with coupons I never get out of Wal Mart without spending $130. Now that is about 2 weeks worth of food plus cat food, dog food and all those other things that Wal Mart sells but you would think that I could spend less. Yet since I don't have a family I don't plan meals so Lean Cuisine and Health Choice are my main source of eating.

I can't imagine what I would spend if I had a family.....

hotwheelstx
04-26-2003, 05:28 PM
NO, NO, NO.....................Aggie's not allowed into the grocery store!!!!! I mean EVER.

I've gone w/him on a few occasions and have spent 3 times the amt. I usually do. It doesn't bother me w/the cereals, cookies, snack cakes. I WILL ONLY buy these on sale. Aggie will just buy them. That's not the way it works in my house.

NO COUPON, NO SALE, IT'S NOT IN THE BASKET. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
04-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by justme23
I must be the luckiest wife in the world (don't have kids, so not luckiest mom yet)... hubby takes me grocery shopping every payday weekend and I fill the cart w/ what I want or think I can/will cook and he never says a word... at checkout he only says anything if I've gone over what we can afford and he almost always puts back his stuff... guess guilt works better than beggin for me, I always feel guilty when he does that and put back all my stuff so he can have his feel good foods.

:eek: What are you doing with my Hubby? :p Tim is the same way... we went to the grocery store today and ended up having to put back his candy and one of his 2 liter sodas. *sigh* (and then we had to borrow money from his money to pay the phone bill...oh well, she'll get it back on Wednesday or something like that. :eek: ) It never ends does it?

hiltonqueen
04-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by WitchyGurl
1 Cup peanut butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 egg
Mix together and roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. Press the balls with a fork to make a # pattern. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before removing. You can use chunky peanut butter if you want.

Thanks for the simple recipe!

Alexandria
04-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by WitchyGurl
1 Cup peanut butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 egg

Find some good simple cake recipies. Make your own icing or use fruit or pudding over the cake.
We like white cake with peaches in syrup over it.

Home-made food is healthier for you too!;)

Do you have a small area to grow some veggies this summer?
Have the kids help! Cucumbers and squash are very easy. Tomatoes need just a little extra care but are worth it. Starting your plants from seed is cheaper than buying plants!
This year I'm growing green beans, cukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini (you can't kill that stuff), pumpkin, and a lot of herbs!
I'm thinking about some popcorn, just a row or two.
Popcorn is a good healthy snack. Forget that micro-crap! just use a deep pan with a lid, a little oil and pop away!
It's low in fat and high in fiber! :D
If you want a few low-cost recipies, e-mail me at rainesfamily1@hotmail.com and I'll e-mail you some.
Get the kids into helping make the snacks. They'll feel proud they helped and will like the new snacks better than store bought in no time;)

WitchyGurl - you should start a thread on how to save money on food !! I'd love to see more of your low cost recipes and I bet other BBS'ers have ways they save that could help us all. I'm fortunate that my husband rarely wants anything in the grocery store .. I have to prod him to ask for anything or I just pick up the things I know he likes.

FireFox1973
04-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey ladybreaker, know what ya mean. Hubby is out on temp disability for a kidney transplant. One month later, on the way into my job, I slipped and fell on the ice and messed up my neck and back pretty good. So now, we are both out on temp. disability.
I go to a food shelter (we make too much for food stamps).
I have a cool book about government assistance for just about anything. Email me at tiggertaz1992@yahoo.com and I will be glad to send you some phone numbers in your area to get a bit of relief!!
Keep your tits up!!