PDA

View Full Version : I wonder...

tiggerzme2
04-25-2003, 10:50 PM
if there is somewhere that we can send clothes ect to help the children in Iraq? Today I got a letter from my youngest son written as he was making the journey to Baghdad. He was very touched by the children that he has met along the way. He stated in his letter that its so sad to see these children age 5-6 standing along the road in nothing but rags, no shoes, begging for whatever they can get. He said that the country was in terrible shape long before the war ever broke out and that something really needed to be done there! He said that he is proud to be a part of doing something for these kids, giving them a better life. He just wish that it wouldnt have taken so long for somebody to do something about it. I know that I would be willing to send clothes ect there if I knew for sure thats where it was going. Anyone hear of anyone doing this?

aimefisher
04-25-2003, 11:04 PM
I don't know if they take clothes but I know they will probably be going into Iraq. try www.feedthechildren.org They may be able to tell you if anyone else does.

mrsswede
04-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Maybe you can get some info from the Red Cross.

justme23
04-26-2003, 03:26 AM
I am one of those sceptics that doesn't care much for 'charity organizations' on a whole. I've read reports of how both feedthechildren and the red cross spend more money on celebrities to represent them and million dollar a year paychecks for top honchos than they actually spend on donating. I know everyone has to make a living, but you have to wonder sometimes... at any rate, just read up on these charities (altho I'm not sure how they could actually 'spend' clothes on anything... lol) before you actually donate... you want atleast 90 percent of your offerings to get where they're supposed to go, not half of it going into someones pocket... and having a name everyone recognizes does not always make you more reputable. BTW, having said all that, I also wanna say I think it's absolutely wonderful that you want to do this and if you DO find a way, let me know. I don't have kids, but I have a cousin whose grandmother throws her clothes away when they're like 3 months old and still practically in brand new condition. If you do find a place to do this through I'll start making her give me these clothes so I can send them too!!!

lisahiser
04-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by tiggerzme2
if there is somewhere that we can send clothes ect to help the children in Iraq? Today I got a letter from my youngest son written as he was making the journey to Baghdad. He was very touched by the children that he has met along the way. He stated in his letter that its so sad to see these children age 5-6 standing along the road in nothing but rags, no shoes, begging for whatever they can get. He said that the country was in terrible shape long before the war ever broke out and that something really needed to be done there! He said that he is proud to be a part of doing something for these kids, giving them a better life. He just wish that it wouldnt have taken so long for somebody to do something about it. I know that I would be willing to send clothes ect there if I knew for sure thats where it was going. Anyone hear of anyone doing this?

Well since your son is over there, maybe you can send the stuff to him, after all he sees them day in and day out, I bet all guys and gals that are with him would love to do something to help these kids out! Just a thought!

newwiccan
04-26-2003, 08:19 AM
I would contact the Red Cross. I know when we lived in Germany they took clothing donations to be sent to Bosnia so they'll probably be doing it for Iraq also. You have nothing to lose by asking. :)

MsLynn
04-26-2003, 11:54 AM
all i say about "feedthechildren" is that during the oklahoma city bombing when he was all over television begging for donations to help with relief workers and victims, when we asked for some of those supplies he told us " YOU HAVE A BUDGET, BUY IT". We had to have FEMA call them and threaten to have Larry Jones arrested. before we could get any of the supplies that he begged america for, "TO HELP US", supposedly.

Missysmom
04-26-2003, 12:51 PM
From what I have heard about charities,(Hopefully not all charities) 75% of monies collected goes to Administration, which means = goes in their pocket? or whatever
they consider "Aministration".. probably salaries, rent, who knows what..Guess they have to run the organizations with something...