PDA

View Full Version : !$#@%!^$%!#!$ AOL and Virus

annie169
04-25-2003, 09:03 PM
I downloaded AOL 8.0 almost a MONTH ago...a week later, poof, New computer has a Virus. My computer tech traced it back to AOL. UGH:mad: Ok, I get it back and next day, went to work on it. Poof...virus is back...BAck to the shop for another week. He still can't get the virus cleaned out. Today, I talk to him AGAIN... the virus worked its way to the BIOS (whatever that is) and says that viruses in the BIOS are the worst to get rid of. Dam AOL>:mad:

memphistn
04-25-2003, 10:27 PM
:rolleyes: Have heard MANY MANY people saying this, I know five people personally that it crashed their computer

jasmine
04-25-2003, 10:29 PM
I don't understand it, I have 8.0, what virus are you talking about???? I have Mcafee?!

Sha
04-25-2003, 10:35 PM
What kind of virus are you being infected with? Do you have a virus scanner on your system?

morris2b
04-26-2003, 06:19 AM
I have AOL 8.0 and I have not had any problems like that.....I run avg virus scan as I know a lady that had the Nortons and she had just updated it and she kept sending virus emails and did not even know it was her that had the virus and when she d/l the avg virus scan she found the virus and got rid of it, the Nortons did not pick the virus up.......JMO

justme23
04-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by morris2b
I have AOL 8.0 and I have not had any problems like that.....I run avg virus scan as I know a lady that had the Nortons and she had just updated it and she kept sending virus emails and did not even know it was her that had the virus and when she d/l the avg virus scan she found the virus and got rid of it, the Nortons did not pick the virus up.......JMO

AVG is DEFINITELY the best. Norton and Mcafee have stopped adding trojan definitions to their upgrades and so alot of ppl have viruses and they don't even know it... if you are running Norton or Mcafee you should go to www.download.com and download a trojan scanner/remover or your computer is still at risk... or purchase AVG.

annie169
04-26-2003, 06:23 PM
OK, memphistn, add me to your list!!! Those who posted after you, I HAVE AVG!! And I updated and ran a virus check just the DAY BEFORE this all happened. How's them apples for ya?? I have had AVG for over 3 years and never had a problem before. I went and bought the whole Norton Internet Security 2003 today. I will d/l a trojan remover tho, TY to justme23 for the FYI on that. Still, pisses me off. One positive thing about this, I called AOL and told them about this and they are giving me a "free period" of AOL and DSL til July 1st. Then, I will ditch their DSL and get it from my cable company.

EricsnKy
04-26-2003, 06:38 PM
That sucks ! Although I Don't understand. How does downloading a new version of AOL have anything to do with a virus ? AOL program isin't a virus. Or are you saying AOL in general crashed your computer ?

Also You shouldnt have more than one antivirus program installed on your computer at a time - This causes major conflicts which may cause your PC to crash.