PDA

View Full Version : Okay, my first whine or vent?

Ashlee
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
I found to stray kittens on Tuesday, vet says they are around two weeks old, but he said they look about two days old,very mal-nourished. The stronger one died yesterday morning. So, I took the one with a gash in his neck back to the vet. I am having to feed the little thing thru a feeding tube every two to three hours!!! My vet said if he makes it we should name him LUCKY or MIRACLE cuz thats what it gonna take to make it. Anyway, I guess I am not sure if this is a whine or vent. I don't even plan to keep the kitten, my daddy wants it, he's just not in shape to nurse it! But I almost started crying at the vet's at the thought of losing it! I have gotten so attached in like to days! I know I am nuts!

cherish328
04-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Nope, you're not nuts.....I'd be the same way!

brooks45
04-24-2003, 11:35 PM
sy! ashlee!! i live in the country and we get so many wild cats that wonder through that i have had to train myself not to get attached,because i feed them and give them attention then after a few weeks they move on or just disappear, i personally would love to keep them all as pets but we get dozens by dozens wondering through our neighborhood, its hard,but livin in the country thats how life is
i recently had a mama cat bring her baby,her only baby up to my door and she was only a few days old,i had to bottle feed her,i name her angel cuz it was a miracle she made it because the mama wouldnt nurse,after the mom dropped her at my door she was done with caring for it,my hubby came home from work and it was at night and was walking in the door and almost step on the little thing,it was dark but he heard a noise and there she was,,so we kept her,but she the only wold one i have kept in awhile! good luck on your little one

blueyez37811
04-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Miracles happen!!!

Let me tell you why I say this. 2 weeks ago today, my Manx, Hannah, had 3 live babies. Hannah has Manx syndrome and we didn't want her to have babies because of the complications. Our vet wouldn't spay her until she reached 4 pounds. She is 3 years old. 24 hours after she gave birth to the 3 live babies, she gave birth to a still-born baby. 48 hours after that, she gave birth to yet another still-born baby. We take her to the vet to be checked and she put her on Clavamox. Easter morning 1 of the 3 live babies died. I was devestated. By Monday morning the 2 living babies looked terrible, so I called the vet. Hannah was dehydrating and babies weren't doing well. Vet told us to syringe feed babies, and to get Hannah some science diet canned kitten food. By Tuesday morning, Hannah was lifeless, I call vet again. She says they are booked. I said, fine, I'll sit and wait in the waiting room until they had time to see me. After the vet looked at her, they immediately put her on an IV, did blood work, etc. Her kidney's were failing and she had a uterine infection and they gave her a 50/50 chance of making it. As of today, the 2 kittens that were lifeless on Monday have been hand fed with the syringe every 2 hours and are doing great. They are 2 weeks old today. They have come along way. Hannah is still at the vets office and has been taken off of the IV's. She is eating food again. Since we have been feeding the kittens by hand and they are thriving, we are having Hannah spayed today. She weighed in at 4 pounds 1 ounce. Just barely big enough to spay. She gets to come home tomorrow morning.

You are not nuts!!! Pray for your baby, I will also pray for her too. And good luck giving it away after spending so much time with it. I didn't have plans on keeping these babies but after just 5 days of hand feeding, no one is taking my babies. I can't part with my 2 miracles. They still have a long road to go, but I will not give up. Give your baby a kiss on the nose for me!! I'll pray for you and your furry young'n!

mlayton1994
04-25-2003, 05:39 AM
You are not nuts!! I have two cats (8mths old) and I am so attached to them. I couldn't part with them. So welcome to the club of cat loves (LOL). I am proud mommy of two kitties.

Ashlee
04-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Thanx everyone! According to the vet, our baby kitten is .2 oz-I hoping he has gained weight when I weigh him 2day! SO I guess my point is he made it thru the nite (I keep wanting to call it a she-cause its so weak, the vet said he couldnt really tell yet, but thought its a boy. ANd ur stories were so wonderful-I got teary eyed-REALLY!!!

GAWildKat
04-25-2003, 05:53 AM
nuts? you? never. I have 6 cats as alot of people here know lol. All of them are indoor cats. 2 were strays I found, 2 I adopted from PetsMart, 2 more were born here at the house. My oldest cat is 2 yrs old and the youngest 2 are 4 mons. Tessa my oldest cat just climbed in the windowsil next to me for pets. I love them all and none lack attention lol.

Specialk
04-25-2003, 06:53 AM
You nuts??? Absolutely Not!!! You have the heart of a Saint for taking care of that little creature with lots of love and patience!!! And not to mention, probably having to pay for the vet bills also!!! Please keep us posted on how this one is doing, ok? Give that poor lil kitty a kiss from all of us here!!! Praying that he makes it!!! Again, the world needs more people like you!!! Have a great weekend, :-)

Ashlee
04-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Update on kitten! Our little Miracle appears to be doing wonderful. After using the antibiotics for a couple days, I havent had to use his feeding tube-he's actually sucking out of the tube with his mouth (he's still much to small for the mini bottle, but hey we are working on it! Thanx everyone for being so caring!!

odyssey
04-26-2003, 08:47 PM
that is great news, your doing a great job with the kitten.

Ashlee
04-29-2003, 10:35 PM
The kitten died around LUNCH. I don't know what happened ? SHe/he was doing so well eating by himself, able to go to the bathroom. Then just died. It was very upsetting to me. I miss the little thing crying every few hours. It seems too quiet. My dog (who took a couple of days to adjust-had even started not freak out everytime I had it in my arms.) I think my hubby even got attached.
Anyway, enuff! Thanx for listening!

blueyez37811
04-30-2003, 05:55 AM
{{{Ashlee}}} I'm so sorry you lost your Miracle. I'm sure it wasn't anything you did. Just remember you did your best to help the little baby. You are a good person. It takes someone special to do what you did for that baby!!

We are still hanging on to the 2 we have. 1 seems to be doing well. The other is so small and that worries me. Momma cat came home from the Vet on Saturday and is doing great but she had to be spayed so she can't nurse the babies.