PDA

View Full Version : Could really use some advice please....

mjh341
04-24-2003, 05:57 PM
I RECENTLY POSTED ABOUT ALL OF OUR BAD LUCK. PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT YELLING AT ANYONE. THE LARGE TYPE IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ. IN DEC. 2001 I GOT A CORNEAL ABRASION AT WORK. WORKMAN'S COMP COVERED IT, I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL BEHIND ME. ABOUT 10 DAYS AGO THE SCAR REOPENS AND RENDERS ME BLIND IN THE RIGHT EYE(I AM BLIND IN THE LEFT EYE DUE TO 14 SURGERIES AND DIABETES)I WENT TO THE DR AND THE SCAR REOPENED IN PART BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC. SI I DID NOT REFILE WORKMAN'S COMP. I WOULD RATHER KEEP MY JOB. I GOT GREAT NEWS AT THE EYE DR, MY VISION HAS IMPROVED 60 o/o! I CAN NOT READ WORDS YET, BUT THE DR SAYS ALL MY VISION WILL RETURN SAME AS BEFORE. HE RELEASED ME TO RETURN TO WORK ON MONDAY. I WAS SCHEDULED TO WORK THIS WEEKEND, BUT SINCE I CAN NOT READ THE PAPERWORK NECESARY TO DO MY JOB, THE DR WANTED ME OUT UNTIL MONDAY. I TOOK MY DR'S EXCUSE TO MY SUPERVISOR, I COULD TELL SHE WAS NOT HAPPY, BUT SHE SAID SHE WILL MAKE DO. I FULLY UNDERSTAND MY ABSENCES FROM WORK CREATE PROBLEMS IN FINDING SOME ONE TO COVER MY SHIFTS. THEY ARE 12 HOURS LONG AND ARE ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. BUT I CAN NOT PHYSICALLY DO MY JOB. MY SUPERVISOR CALLS BEFORE I RETURN HOME AND SPEAKS TO MY SON. HE TELLS HER I AM NOT AT HOME. SHE TELLS HIM TO TELL ME TO CALL IN. I DO. SHE IS IN A MEETING. SO ANOTHER PERSON WITH THE SAME TITLE AS MINE TAKES HER CALL. SHE TELLS ME THERE IS NO ONE TO COVER MY WEEKEND SHIFT. SHE ALSO SAYS SHE KNOWS I HAVE A DR'S EXCUSE, BUT IF I DO NOT WORK THIS WEEKEND, MY JOB IS ON THE LINE. I THOUGHT IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW IN GA TO WORK WITH A DR'S EXCUSE DOES ANYBODY KNOW? IF I CAN NOT COME IN AND HAVE A DR'S EXCUSE CAN THEY FIRE ME? I CALLED SEVERAL ATTORNEY'S AND NO ONE COULD SEE ME, BUT I DO HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A PARALEGAL IN THE MORNING. I CHOSE NOT TO FILE WORKMAN'S COMP, IS IT TOO LATE? MY FAMILY RECCOMENDS LETTING THEM FIRE ME AND FILE SUIT. I AM WEARY OF FILING A LAWSUIT. IT TAKES TIME AND MONEY AND WITH HUBBY LAID OFF WE HAVE EVEN LESS MONEY. I JUST NEED TIME TO HEAL FROM THIS INJURY. PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE. I DON'T THINK IT IS LEGAL, BUT REALLY DON'T KNOW.

mom4angels
04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
I don't know what the laws are but I would think that if you are not released until this coming Monday then I would think that it is illegal for them to fire you. You are on a medical leave from work. I know that the whole thing is to keep your job but I wouldn't go into work until after Monday and if they fire you file a law suit against them. You will have a legal case for damages. I hope that everything works out for you.

mjh341
04-24-2003, 06:32 PM
THANKS MOM. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY. THIS WHOLE SITUATION HAS MADE ME SICK AT MY STOMACH. PLEASE SEND PRAYERS AND POSITIVE VIBES.

mom4angels
04-24-2003, 06:41 PM
My prayers are with you. I hope that your employers will be understanding to you. Since this happened at work you could have refiled the workman's com. They had no right to threatened your job because working could make it worse. I would remind them that this is an injury that happened at work and that you want it to heal properly before returning to work. All good vibes are being sent your way.

scifiwoman
04-24-2003, 06:42 PM
It depends on the state. In VA they can fire you for any reason or no reason. I was fired when I got hurt on the job and the dr wouldnt release me to go back to work. I was told work or your are fired. And there was nothing I could do about it. I talked to several lawyers. VA is a no fault state :(. So check and find out what the laws are in your state. Good luck.

mom4angels
04-24-2003, 06:47 PM
scifiwoman don't you just love this beautiful state that you and I live in. I didn't realize that you could get fired even if you have a doctors note. I would think that being that you got hurt on the job that if they fired you because the doctor wouldn't release you , that you could sue them if they fired you. Like I said Va is such a great state.

mrs.john
04-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS B/C I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE EASIER FOR YOU--NOT YELLING, OKAY? :)

AT MY OLD JOB I WAS OFF ON A MEDICAL LEAVE AND I WAS TOLD BY THE LADY THAT HANDLES THAT STUFF THAT I COULDN'T COME BACK WITHOUT A DR.'S PERMISSION. IF YOU GO BACK TO WORK WITHOUT THE DOCTOR RELEASING YOU AND YOU GET HURT IN ANY WAY, YOUR WORK IS LIABLE. IF YOU CAME BACK TO WORK WITHOUT THE SLIP, EVEN IF YOU JUST FORGOT TO BRING IT, THEY SENT YOU HOME. SO, HERE IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THE COMPANY TO LET YOU WORK WITHOUT THE DOCTOR'S PERMISSION. HTH

Iluvbears
04-24-2003, 07:33 PM
You can search your state, under FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT. See if it applies...I read in some states, it depends on how severe your illness/injury is, as to if your employer can fire you or not even with a doctors note. I don't know if it applies to your state or not.

mjh341
04-24-2003, 08:09 PM
THANKS EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES. I AM SO UPSET OVER THIS. I CAN'T STOP THROWING UP. I WAS THINKING MAYBE THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COULD MAYBE HELP. I DON'T KNOW, I MAYBE BE JUST GRASPING AT STRAWS. MORE STRESS WAS JUST WHAT I DIDN'T NEED RIGHT NOW. I THINK MAYBE I NEED THERAPY OR VALIUM. LOL

Gitty
04-24-2003, 08:20 PM
I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEMS BUT i THOUGHT MAYBE YOU COULD USE A HUG! {{{{{{{mjh341}}}}}

schsa
04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
YES, THE AMERICAN'S WITH DISABILITIES ACT SHOULD MAKE SOME PROVISIONS FOR YOUR WORK ACCOMODATING YOU FOR DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENTS, ETC. BUT IT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR AND THE LEAVE THAT THEY GRANT TO OTHERS.