PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Rivalry

cherish328
04-23-2003, 08:50 PM
You know, it's sad when you feel like there is aconstant battle going on with a sibling. I'm 30 and my sis is 25....you would think that by now there would be none of that right???? WRONG.....I hate my Brother-in-law, he is such an a$$, he always has some kind of rude comment to make.....he talks about my dad's side of the family, and he knows nothing about them, (my sis doesn't talk to my dad or that side of the fam.) My sis is getting ready to have a baby (a boy) and my Bro-in-law is so insecure about things. I tired talking with my mom over the weekend about, she was really upset when I left her house on Easter, and refused to tell her why, until Monday....she got all pi$$ed, and told me that I was just jealous that my sis was having a baby, and I wasn't, and I was just trying to start Sh!t, with the family....First of all, I think that my Bro-in-law has some problems, and he is always talking about all of this money that he has, like any of us care, but I think that he thinks that we do....all he ever talks about is himself, I would talk to my sis, but there is no talking to her....she hates me...I now, do not talk with my mother or sis, they both think that I purpose look for reasons to fight with all of them....i can't help the way I feel, just as they can't, but I refuse to subject my self to that. did I do the right thing???

RainyStorm
04-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by cherish328
my Brother-in-law, he is such an a$$, he always has some kind of rude comment to make.....he talks about my dad's side of the family, and he knows nothing about them, (my sis doesn't talk to my dad or that side of the fam.)

I now, do not talk with my mother or sis, they both think that I purpose look for reasons to fight with all of them....i can't help the way I feel, just as they can't, but I refuse to subject my self to that. did I do the right thing???

Who died and left Brother-in-law boss? He should not get involved in family relationships between two sisters. If he's not of the same blood then he can be replaced ;)

Why let this rude commenting jerk make you not speak with your sister and mother? Rich or dirt poor.....he needs to be respectful. Nothing should come between sisters...or mothers and daughters.

(He sounds like my Brother-in-law ..... ewwwww)

BeanieLuvR
04-23-2003, 10:20 PM
{{{{cherish328}}}} Sorry that you are going through this. I hope that things work out where you can talk to your mom and sis. Sounds like your BIL is a trouble maker. Mine is too and I`ve found it is best to ignore him.

mesue
04-26-2003, 01:28 AM
I have 2 daughter and a son and sibling rivalry is alive and well in my family. One daughter and her husband worry about the other ones spending habits and the other one is upset because her Daddy helped landscape the other ones yard, I told the son to help us tile the hosue with ceramic tile afte all they would probably sell the house divide it up when we died his response was thats ok Mom my sisters will make sure I don't get anything. We both laughed our butts off over this statement but I think there was some serious thought behind that comment. I think what it is, is when you put a group of people together who truely love one another but have different ideas its gonna happen. Just try to forgive and forget if you can although its not easy sometimes. Good Luck!

morris2b
04-26-2003, 06:11 AM
Say how you feel and do not care whos feelings you hurt, let others know how you truly feel or else they will never know.....

My sister thinks her rear is lines with gold, she hates me, WHY? I dont know and I really dont care she is the one that has to live life in misery by having so much hatred in herself not me........Good Luck

justme23
04-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Whether you did the right thing depends on how badly you want to have a relationship w/ your mother and sister. If a close relationship isn't important then yes, you did the right thing but if family harmony and closeness is what you want then next time you know to just not say anything cause they think he hung the moon and think you are just trying to make waves. They will eventually see the light and know you were right but sometimes you have to choose your battles... opinions are good to have but sometimes we just have to bite our tongues.

momfromTN
04-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by mesue
I have 2 daughter and a son and sibling rivalry is alive and well in my family. One daughter and her husband worry about the other ones spending habits and the other one is upset because her Daddy helped landscape the other ones yard, I told the son to help us tile the hosue with ceramic tile afte all they would probably sell the house divide it up when we died his response was thats ok Mom my sisters will make sure I don't get anything. We both laughed our butts off over this statement but I think there was some serious thought behind that comment. I think what it is, is when you put a group of people together who truely love one another but have different ideas its gonna happen. Just try to forgive and forget if you can although its not easy sometimes. Good Luck!

I hope you have a will. If not, you really need to have one, so your wishes will be carried out after you die. Also, your heirs will thank you and there will be no wondering and speculating on what "mom and dad would have wanted".

squirt
04-26-2003, 07:26 AM
This is going to sound stupid i know, but: don't wait to long before talking to your mother and sister. Forget the brother in law, he's not family, so he doesn't count. He's just a jerk your sister married. Hope she is happy with him, and ignore him. You don't have to talk to him. Just remember where his brain is, you know that little thing between his legs, that makes him think he's someone special. But we know different don't we girls. You knew and loved your sister before he came into the picture, just ignore him. Don't let bad feelings spring up between you, your mom and your sister.

cherish328
04-26-2003, 08:25 AM
After alot of thinking since I posted this, I think that the next time that I am around the BIL, I think that I am going to open my mouth....As hateful as this sounds, I think that my sis will divorce him...He's one of the guys who likes to have control over everything....even my DH asked if my sis can do anything with out him....I've never known my sis to let anyone tell her what she was and wasn't going to do...I'm sure that will to last too long......

momfromTN
04-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by squirt
This is going to sound stupid i know, but: don't wait to long before talking to your mother and sister. Forget the brother in law, he's not family, so he doesn't count. He's just a jerk your sister married. Hope she is happy with him, and ignore him. You don't have to talk to him. Just remember where his brain is, you know that little thing between his legs, that makes him think he's someone special. But we know different don't we girls. You knew and loved your sister before he came into the picture, just ignore him. Don't let bad feelings spring up between you, your mom and your sister.

The BIL is a real jerk. He needs to be put in his place quickly and told to MYOB. I just want to ask if you feel this way about anyone who is married? I am only asking and not yelling, so please do not think I am picking on you. I am simply curious. My inlaws tend to think that we spouses do not count and that they know everything. We spouses were excluded from a family dinner last summer. I thought that when you married, you were a part of each other's family. I have been told how to raise my kids, be a wife to my husband, told to "wait" on DH, and basically made to feel inferior and stupid for most of my married life. So, I decided that since I am only "an inlaw" and "not really part of the family", that the next time there is a family gathering, I am only a guest and will do NO prep or cleanup.
Sorry to take over the thread, I am just interested in what you might have to say. In my case, I feel I DO count. Again, not yelling, just curious. :D