PDA

View Full Version : Toy Pom help..............................Please

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm at my wits end on what to do about this.

Toddie is a 2 1/4 Toy Pomeranian. We've had him almost a year. All of a sudden in the past week (since Monday) he's started pulling out his hair. We're talking by the clumps, here.

Stats:

Up to date on all shots.

Been fixed.

Had extensive dental work done in Jan. Has helped a/lot w/bad breath problems.

Takes 1/8 tsp. everyday of baby Benedryl. Allergic to grass and certain flowers. That we know he's been tested.

Is on flea/heartworm meds. as are all other 4 leggers here.

No change in diet........eating same food as before.

No heat/hot spots that I can find anywhere on his tiny body. I mean NO WHERE.

Bathed about every 2 weeks and is groomed professionally every 3 months. As are the rest. Recently all received their spring cuts. He has no cuts or bruising from it that I can find.

No fleas, roaches, spiders or other "weird crawlers" I can find in the house.

I'm really at a loss. I've been holding off calling the vet thinking she might think I've lost my mind. Pretty soon Toddie's right side will be totally BALD.

Another problem is: He's not a "foo-foo dog, either. He's very active. Nicknames are Evil Knievel and man on the flying trapeeze. He flies, runs, jumps, scampers, leaps. He's not a sit down dog at ALL.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be???

I've resorted to putting that "funnel looking" things around his neck. Now, he's fighting me tooth and nail to rip out his hair. Crying, whining for me to take it off. I can't leave him for a second or more hair will be gone.

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

captorquewrench
04-23-2003, 09:51 AM
well......don't know about dogs, but a friend had a crazy, hyper cat who did the same thing......then started chewing and yanking his hair out.....vet put him on kitty prozac.

Quaker_Parrots
04-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Mange? there are different kinds, it is caused by a parasite. has the neighbors dogs been in your yard? and have you noticed bald spots on them?

definately call your vet

also, could it be ringworm? you can get this from toddy too if it is

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
well......don't know about dogs, but a friend had a crazy, hyper cat who did the same thing......then started chewing and yanking his hair out.....vet put him on kitty prozac.

OMG, please don't tell me that.............Instead of this being a sweet addition to our household he's "Devil w/the black coat on" LOL. He's still super sweet. That's when HE wants to be. It's like having about 4 2 year olds in my house 24/7. I'm serious. He's everywhere.

Well, if he needs Prozak I guess his mind runs all the time like mine. I take Paxil. What a relief. LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

~MK~
04-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Mange is a possibility, but I doubt it.

Could be a number of things, dry skin would be my first choice. If you're bathing every 2 weeks, that's a little much. It dries out the coat REALLY fast. Also make sure you brush A LOT. It gets the natural oils flowing.

Also, spring shed season is here. He could just be losing his winter coat. He'll look like hell for a few weeks then be back to normal.

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by taybai
Mange? there are different kinds, it is caused by a parasite. has the neighbors dogs been in your yard? and have you noticed bald spots on them?

definately call your vet

also, could it be ringworm? you can get this from toddy too if it is

No, the neighbors dog hasn't been home. Last time I saw their pet she had all her hair. Tpddoe stays in most of the time. Uses potty box. Very rarely does he want to go outside. When he does all he does is sneeze.

Embarrassed to say but I have caught ringworm from a stray cat we found a long time ago. Wouldn't I have it by now??? Don't you think???

I don't see any of those little "rings" on Toddie. I'm calling the vet now.

He doesn't seem to be in pain. It's more like a nervous habit that just started. I've played ball for so long I'm beginning to become a great pitcher...........Toddie's not a bad catcher, either. LOL :confused: :confused: :confused:

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
Mange is a possibility, but I doubt it.

Could be a number of things, dry skin would be my first choice. If you're bathing every 2 weeks, that's a little much. It dries out the coat REALLY fast. Also make sure you brush A LOT. It gets the natural oils flowing.

Also, spring shed season is here. He could just be losing his winter coat. He'll look like hell for a few weeks then be back to normal.

Do you have a Pom. as well??? Toddie doesn't get bathed in the tub it's that powder stuff. He's brushed almost daily.

Maybe it does have something to do w/spring. I didn't think about that w/his hair being so short. We didn't have him this time last year. So, I'm not sure he shed last year either. he was only about 3 months old by then.

Other dogs in house are shedding but, not pulling their hair out.

Thank you for the advice. I really appriciate it..............;) ;) ;) It's the bottom of the 100th inning. Toddie's ahead. LOL

~MK~
04-23-2003, 10:37 AM
No, but I have chows and huskies, also double coated breeds.

Believe me, it's just spring/summer shed. He will do it once in the spring/summer and once very light in the fall.

I don't use the powder on my dogs because of the harshness on the coat. I would suggest tub bathing once a month and brushing twice daily.

As for the rest of it, wait a couple weeks and he'll look better, I promise. My chows are doing it now. Lily Grace looks AWFUL, she does it the worst. It's just part of having a double coated breed. Until then maybe buy him a sweater. ;)

MommyG3
04-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Don't have a dog, but I noticed MK was here and I had to pop in...I am stalking her, after all. :D Hope Toddie gets better soon, Hotwheels.

BTW, everytime I see you post about Toddie...I am reminded of the Ole Miss cheer

HODDY TODDY
GOSH AMIGHTY
WHO THE _ ARE WE
BIM BAM FLIM FLAM
OLE MISS BY ____
:D

Lisa03
04-23-2003, 11:04 AM
It may be just what MK had said

oh he is a Toy Pom!!!! Oh I bet he is a cutie!

my boss lady had a regular Pom & he passed away I think in Sept or Oct. Broke her heart.

She finally got 2 Yorkies but she still misses "Prince"

I wished I could see a picture of Toddie. I would love to see him

Lisa

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Lisa03
It may be just what MK had said

oh he is a Toy Pom!!!! Oh I bet he is a cutie!

my boss lady had a regular Pom & he passed away I think in Sept or Oct. Broke her heart.

She finally got 2 Yorkies but she still misses "Prince"

I wished I could see a picture of Toddie. I would love to see him

Lisa

I'm not to computer literate. I'll find a photo and have Aggie put it on here.

MK,

Thank you. It's just driving me crazy.

Vet called back and said that that's what she thought it was, too. She said that since this might be his first shed he's not used to it.

Suggested I try and brush as much of the undercoat out as possible. Next problem: If Hot Toddie will slow down for 2 seconds maybe I can/could get him brushed.

He's truly a handful. Thanks for your help. I was beginning to think my little guy was losing his mind. Well, kind of he's only chewing/pulling on one side.

Took the head thing off. Toddie wear a sweater????? NO WAY...............MK, I'm not a foo-foo I'm a BIG BOY ruff, ruff

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lisa03
04-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Toddie wear a sweater????? NO WAY...............MK, I'm not a foo-foo I'm a BIG BOY ruff, ruff
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) [/B]

LOL!

hotwheelstx
04-23-2003, 01:00 PM
My momma is correct. I don't like sweaters. I'll hide it from her. She won't get mad because she'll never find it. I have great hiding spaces. Some of them she's found and I'm off limits to them.

Well, I racked my brain and came up w/new hiding places. She's not really sure where all my snacks go anymore. My blankee has disappeared to her but, I know where it is. I sleep on it everynite. I wait til everyone gots to sleep and go get on it.

I wouldn't want my brothers or my sister to snitch me off.

I'M NOT FOO-FOO, I'M NOT FOO-FOO..........ME NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. I do look pretty though. So I've been told. I rip those BLUE ICKY BOWES right out of my hair too. The groomer thinks I'm sweet as can be. Boy, I've got him fooled.

ruff, ruff.....................You'll never catch or find me

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

WitchyGurl
04-23-2003, 05:45 PM
For a short term fix, try Bitter Apple Spray. It taste bad and will stop the fur pulling. Wait til he's really sleepy to brush him. That's what I have to do with Mimi my Yorkie mix. I also pluck her ears and trim her nails while she's asleep. Sometimes I have to play with her a few hours to wear her out, but it works;)

cherish328
04-23-2003, 06:25 PM
I have a friend who breds and raises Poms, I called her and read all of the information that you gave, she said that it sounds like an allergic reaction to something, what she wasn't sure. Could be anything. She said to get some Sulfadine (SP??) not sure of the spelling..... YOu can find it at pet stores as welll as drug stores...

memphistn
04-23-2003, 09:44 PM
I would recommend you call the vet, he would be the best one to advise you what to do.

hotwheelstx
04-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Thank you to all for the advice and tips. Toddie's doing better. I called the vet yesterday and she suggested Bitter Apple. I had Aggie get some lastnite. (He was out of school early).

Now, I'm dealing w/LOOKS FROM HELL.............LOL. Boy, he's angry at me. Dr. advised I put is all over his fur to keep him from chewing. She thinks he's shedding his winter coat. Not really sure since this has never happened before.

He's also been sneezing his head off too. Said to give him his Baby Benedryl 2 x's a day.

He's almost catatonic (sp).

Sorry, to be such a pain in the rear........but when you're home alone all day and only have one car it gets trying sometimes. That's one reason I come here. I know SOMEONE on here can figure out what to do if I can't.

I did take the "cone thing" off his head. I know he thinks I'm trying to kill him. He HATES that thing. We had to use it last summer when Toddie broke both front legs from playing "Evil Kneivel" off the couch and chair. It's a long story. I can explain it later.

Anyway, thank you for your all of your help. I'm hoping today will be better for him. He just got me to go potty. It's 3:45 am. So, guess I'm up for awhile. He never goes right back to bed.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)