PDA

View Full Version : People With Teeny Tiny Brains!

Ladytiger
04-22-2003, 09:21 PM
For a year now, we have had a placard (temporary) so that we can park in the handicapped parking. I only use that when I just simply cannot walk far, and those days when I have to go somewhere not feeling well. Today was one of those days. DBF parked in the hadicapped space while I ran into to get a prescription. I was coming out and getting into the vehicle when a couple started shaking their heads, and the woman pointed at me and said "Yeah, you don't look too handicapped to me"! I looked at her and said "Excuse me, how the H#LL do you know what's wrong with me?", Grrrr, she then answered me "Well, you don't have a cast, cane or walker",:mad: I said "Yeah, well what if I told you that I was having brain surgery next week"! I actually saw the color drain from her face, the hubby started apologizing, and the woman must have swallowed her tongue, she just kept making these funny noises. I looked at the guy and I told him that wasn't the case, but things aren't always what they seem, and I DID get the placard from my doc. Pinheads!

Bohemut
04-22-2003, 10:05 PM
I used to get that all the time. I have arthritis and when I was still walking, albeit slowly and not far at a time, people would say things to me like that. Now I have a wheelchair and no one bothers me.

It kinda burns me up that just because someone doesn't "show" their "handicap" that others just assume they are scamming. I know several people who have heart conditions that have the handicapped parking tags. My friend doesn't use her walker when she goes to the store, she walks in, just a short walk, and uses the power carts they provide. But she still gets "the look" sometimes when she gets out of her car. We are both big women, and one time before I got my wheelchair, we got out of the car and some old biddy had the gall to tell us that the handicapped parking wasn't for fatsos, and that if we lost weight we would be able to walk farther. :mad: Yeah, right. I have severe arthritis, and my friend has a back condition (I can't quite remember the name) that severly limits her mobility. (Good thing my DD wasn't with us--I don't think the old biddy would have survived!)

On the other hand, there have been reports of people who don't need them getting the plaques/tags. It's just like so many other things, there are always dishonest people who will take advantage. :rolleyes:

AllKnowingFool
04-22-2003, 10:10 PM
I dislike people who park in handicapped spots just to run in. And I am not talking with the placard. People who are hadicapped need the spots. One time at a store here, Super Mom, and Super Dad couldn't get into our car because some idiot had parked in the lined area beside the parking spots, effectivly blocking our car on the side Super Dad would sit. So. We called the cops. And the guy who's car it was came out of the store and left, after yelling at us about needing to get into our car. lol. I think the police got him later....

1busymomma
04-22-2003, 10:15 PM
yep, some peeps are ignorant pinheads. Both my mother and my dbf's mom have a placard for the car. I have a spare one for my dbf's mom but I would never even consider using it without her in tow!!!!

justme23
04-22-2003, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry they were rude to you and ppl should generally be nice and not make a scene... but in defense of small minded ppl... Dateline did do an hour long show one time about how city officials give themselves the handicapped parking stickers just so they wouldn't have to walk an extra block to work. They were also shown to give them to family and friends... just cause they could. Things like this are wrong and I think really make alot of us wonder when we can't 'see' a physical problem. This does not excuse ANYONES rudeness, but does make the wondering understandable. If that makes sense? I promise I'm not trying to excuse anyones bad behavior, just trying to show why some ppl use excuses for their rudeness.

On the other hand, there's jerks like my uncle who would use my grannies sticker whether she was in the car or not and there's not a damned thing wrong w/ him except laziness.

MommyG3
04-23-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Freyda
I dislike people who park in handicapped spots just to run in. And I am not talking with the placard.

I agree...it ticks me off to see someone without a handicapped tag parking where they aren't suppose to. Heck, I go out of my way to park further out where there are no other cars...I can use the exercise. :D

schsa
04-23-2003, 06:36 AM
I like the idea of telling people you are having brain surgery. I would love to have seen that woman's face. She deserved the embaressment that she went through.

My dad has no cartilege in his knees and wears braces but his pants cover them up. I would never question anyone parked in a handicapped space. There are reasons that are not always obvious and those who critize today may be using a handicapped sticker tomorrow.

tigerskiss1963
04-23-2003, 10:48 AM
i have had the same problems tiny minded people
my daughter has a handicap she can't control what she does or says
and some times laughs at nothing at all.
well any way one day i took my daughter to the mall
and she was doing some odd things but nothing bad.
well this lady comes up to me and says why don't you just put in a home.
so i told her why don't you grow a brain.

DIRKSWIFE4
04-23-2003, 11:33 AM
I have my hanicap tag because of my back, ankel and knee, and the other night we went to the grocery and this woman in front of use pulls straight into the only hadicapped place there, she had no tag, and I was pi$$ed!!! By the time we got parfked she was already in the store. so Ipolitely put a note on her windsheild.... Just what part of handicapped do you not understand???
Would have LOVED to see her face!!!!!

rain_cries
04-23-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm not handicapped, but our mall has stork parking for pregnant women. They are right next to the handicapped spaces. I was very pregnant and had gone to walk in the mall to ease braxton hicks contractions and do some last minute baby shopping (mind, this was three years ago) and a MAN parked in the stork parking space. He didn't even have children with him. I got out of my car and yelled, excuse me, sir, but I don't think you qualify for stork parking and since I do, would you kindly move your car? He did and looked sheepish.

There is also a guy that patrols our local grocery store VERY frequently and tickets everyone in a handicapped slot who does not have a special license or the tag.

It is inconsiderate for someone to assume that because you are not using a walker, cane or wc that you have no handicap. What about people with arthritis, MS, FMS, back injuries, etc? Not necessarily visible, but cause pain.

Ladytiger
04-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Part of my therapy is to turn everything around to a positive light-soooo, I made another small sign to put under the placard "I may not look it,the IS doctor ordered- don't even question it, please:rolleyes: "
Maybe that will stop the comments. I still like the "I am having brain surgery next week"

Iluvbears
04-24-2003, 08:21 PM
My mother has been through it all also, notes left on her car, people talking out their arses. She carries an oxygen tank with her. I guess it's for looks if it doesn't qualify her as being handicapped, in some peoples eyes.