PDA

View Full Version : Could you please do SOMETHING

Talanco
04-21-2003, 05:42 PM
My mom lives with my hubby and me. She is 45 and I swear she does nothing. She will cook dinner and vaccum sometimes. We have lived here for a year and she NEVER dusted not once. I even left it one time to see if she would do it....after a month I had to do it myself. We have a deal ...whoever cooks the other one cleans. Well the past few times I have cooked I have also had to clean. I want to say something to her but she gets irritated so easy. I mean she plays the computer all day.Grrr im just frustrated.

1busymomma
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
(((((((((((((((talanco)))))))))))))))))

Does she pay rent or live with you for free? If she lives there for free, i would have no qualms about making up a contract that states she starts doing certain things or she live elsewhere (sorry, but I'm irritated with my mother to at the moment)

Talanco
04-21-2003, 06:06 PM
She pays $300 a month for herself and a 5 year. It si my cousin but his mom diesd and my mom took him in.

aunt_putz
04-21-2003, 07:05 PM
oh my god....My mother lives with me and she does the same exact thing except she hardly ever cooks and I dont think she knows what a vacum is

RobMom
04-22-2003, 06:01 AM
My mother is the same way. She lives rent free with me and sleeps all day. The one job that she does is loading and unloading the dishwasher. And she makes a big deal out of it and expects a medal for doing it!:D But, it is my house and my responsibility, and she took care of me for so many years, so I kinda let her get away with it. But the least she could do is clean up after herself. Especially when I spend a long time cleaning and then 5 minutes later it is messed up again.

MsLynn
04-22-2003, 09:34 AM
man my mom even comes to visit and she's a cleaning whirlwind, lol when i moved she stayed with me for 3 days to watch my kids over the holiday cause i couldn't get a sitter when i had to work and in 3 days she had my entire house put together, the garge cleaned out and the swingset put together, lmao. GOTTA LOVE MY MOMMIE,

I'M SORRY FOR WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH.

schsa
04-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Dang when my mom comes to visit I spend a week looking for every piece of dirt in the house. She's 78 years old and she will still find something that needs to be wiped down or picked up. I swear she never really relaxes. I have to force her to sit down and stop cleaning. And my house isn't dirty.

MommyG3
04-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Mom comes and makes little comments about how we need to clean better. :rolleyes:

ttistin
04-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey at least your mothers visit you guys, my mother has yet to see my house. lol at least I dont have to listen to her say things about it not being picked up and such. I say I have 3 young kids, 4 counting dh. I may be a SAHM but that doesnt mean I live for cleaning lol My kids are clean and healthy, you may not wanna eat off my floor but my plates and forks are clean LOL

Sorry about what your mom is doing to you Talanco, I agree a list of chores sounds good.

Alexandria
04-22-2003, 12:08 PM
I wonder if maybe mom is depressed ? Doesn't seem like a 45 year old would be happy not having her own home. Is she unable to afford to live on her own ? Is her health good ? Perhaps she is lonely as well as depressed. Just my 2 cents and I also agree that a list of chores should be drawn up and EVERYONE in the house should take responsibility for something.

Bohemut
04-22-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm 47 and my DD lives with me and DH. I spend much of my day here at the computer. I don't clean, etc.. I do my and DH's laundry. I cook dinner occasionally, I do all the baking and "special" stuff like that. BUT my situation is different. I have chronic pain, and some days it's a chore just getting out of bed. My DD is paid by the state to be my caregiver (I'm on Medicaid and it is cheaper for them to pay her than to have me in a care facility).

Is your mom disabled? If not, why is she living with you? And, if not, why isn't she working? It sounds like she's depressed. At her age, she should be more active. Maybe she needs to get out and do something like volunteering at a hospital. For me, it's tough being home without the mental/intellectual stimulation you get when working. I miss that most, and sometimes it depresses me. That's when I know I have to get out and do something. Even if it's just going to the mall and window shopping.

Sorry to go on so long, but I feel sorry for your mom. I think a chore chart is a good idea, but if she's depressed it won't help that much. You need to talk to her and find out what's going on with her. She may need counselling, or other help. I hope you and your mom can work this out. ((((( Talanco)))))

mesue
04-26-2003, 02:08 AM
My Mom lives next door when my neighbor hurt her foot she hired my Mom to clean but my Mom would not take a dime for it, then recently I hurt my ankle and hurt some joints everywhere don't know how I did this and my Mom actually saw me crawling up the bottom steps to let her in since I can barely walk, not an offer of help whatsoever. I think my Mom has cut the apron strings and would just as soon choke me to death with them as to help me.