PDA

View Full Version : Big Boy Potty problems

lynde
04-20-2003, 09:01 PM
My son will be 7 in Oct and he is still having #2 accidents almost everyday!!!!!!!!!!! We have had him checked out by an md and there is nada medically wrong w/him. I have tried everything that I can think of!!! Bribes,charts,stickers,games,& punishments(in the last year). I am at my wits end!!! He has gone several days in a row going on the potty, so I know he can do it!!! He is a super kid-this is basically my only real gripe about him. I do not know what else to do-I am thinking of taking him to a shrink. Any ANY AAAAANNNYYYYY ideas on how to get him to go . I offered him $100 yesterday and he said "no":rolleyes: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But seriously I have gotten to the point where I am very angry about this-I do not think I can take much more:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DBackFan
04-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Please look up "encopresis". My son had this and it sounds like your may also. If I have time I will try and find info for you. ((((hugs))))

Here is one site to read:

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/uhs/enco.cfm

Kyla Kym
04-20-2003, 09:19 PM
What does he tell you is the reason he messes his pants insteed of going to the bathroom?

aimefisher
04-20-2003, 09:22 PM
http://soilingsolutions.com/
http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/E/encopresis.html

lynde
04-20-2003, 09:23 PM
He is very vague about it-it upsets him to talk about it. He gets mad at himself. I just read on a few different sites about encopresis, and this sounds right!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! I feel horrible. I would love to know what you did about this!!! Thank you so much!!

odyssey
04-20-2003, 09:23 PM
{{{{{lynde and son}}}}}}}
when my child was 4 she was just waiting till that last min to go #2 slightly leaving marks in the underware. The dr. advised making sure she had regular bowel movements with more fruits. We believe she would hold it in because well it won't come out or it hurt to come pooh. whatever the case it was, she quickly understood that we were here to help her pooh and even wipe if she still needed that extra help. After just a few weeks she got very regular and no more streaks.

Best wishes.

DBackFan
04-20-2003, 09:25 PM
My son had this up until age 13 believe it or not and even at age 19 now I think he may STILL have problems. I hate to tell you that because I believe each case is unique. He does not do it on purpose. Try to better understand encopresis and then talk to your doctor. The biggest thing is to arrange REGULAR toilet times and keep him cleaned out. You may want to give him mineral oil for awhile to make sure he stays cleared up too. Thats what my Dr did. Best of luck to you.

Kyla Kym
04-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Good Luck finding a solution. I hope you can put your finger on the problem and help him fix it.

1busymomma
04-20-2003, 10:23 PM
((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Hope it gets worked out soon. There is nothing more frustrating (for me anyway) than that with a child.

belle5691
04-20-2003, 10:47 PM
I also dealt with this with my two children. My oldest is 13, and rarely has problems any more. My 9 year old is still a constant battle. We have a very unsympathetic school, wanting to know WHY he does it, etc. If there is no medical reason, then sometimes children do it as a way of control. We also tried the bribes, the stickers, everything. Patience, which is very hard in this situation, and time was really all that helped. There are some good websites for encopresis, some even from children who deal with this. I will try to find them and post.

Sunnymoonx
04-21-2003, 05:36 AM
Please look up "encopresis". My son had this and it sounds like your may also. If I have time I will try and find info for you. ((((hugs))))

I would definately check this out. Your pediatrician can check for this. We went thru this with my daughter who was 5/6 at the time. It turned out not to be encopresis but I could have sworn it was. She had all the signs. Good Luck!

Lora_1994
04-21-2003, 06:23 AM
my son had the same problem and just last year he FINALLY quit messing his pants. I thought he was just plain 'ol lazy when he did it, but he was diagnosed as having ADHD and when he was put on meds, he quit. It is so much nicer now that I dont have to worry about the problems at school and such. If you'd like to talk, feel free to e-mail me!!! lora_1994@yahoo.com

MommyG3
04-21-2003, 06:47 AM
Hugs to you and your son.

Quaker_Parrots
04-21-2003, 06:55 AM
My Nephew has this problem, and occasionally at 28, he still has an accident. I would take him to a MD that specializes in digestion. there could be something wrong your regular Dr is missing

Also, never punish a child for having a potty accident, it puts too much attention on the matter and could have the reverse affect of what you want to happen

cpbaby
04-21-2003, 07:07 AM
My son had this same problem. He was finally diagnosed with severe constipation and put on a regimine of adult female laxatives at age 6. After a couple of weeks on these, his movements regulated and we havent had anymore problems and he no longer takes the laxatives. I did everything I could and alot of things I shouldnt simply because I thought he COULD control this. After I made him sit on the couch one day as punishment, and it happened while he was sitting there, I found a doctor that finally helped. He was having bowel movements, they just werent emptying like they should.

I wish you all the luck in the world.