PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession to make.

Jolie Rouge
04-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Parenting is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Before I had children, I had the notion that being a Dad was all about snuggling, playing games, and sharing my wisdom with little people that looked like me.

That's grandparenting.

Parenting is responsibility - trying to raise children who don't run with scissors and don't chew with their mouths open. It's about teaching courtesy and why you shouldn't hit your friend on the head with a lunchbox. It's about allowing your children to fail, and telling them 'no' for the thousandth time without losing your mind.

Parenting is about hearing yourself sound like your parents, and still believing what you're saying is right. It's about being a modern family - living a fast-paced lifestyle fraught with pressures, guilt, and the high expectations to create the 'perfect' childhood.

Parenting is a job.

Incidentally, they don't teach you this in Lamaze class.

Sure, some of you are already questioning me for saying these things. You're thinking 'how can he call it a job? It's a priviledge. Every moment is 'nirvana.'

I agree ... except for the part about 'nirvana.'

It's more like 'noisy.'

Despite the cookie cutter advice from psychologists, pediatricians and my mother, I have come to the conclusion that parenting is just plain challenging. Period. There are no easy fixes - no miracles - no obedience classes offered for children. It's all about surviving the toils of daycare, childless co-workers and muddy footprints on the sofa only to be rewarded for this hard work by entering the teenage years! God has quite the sense of humor!

So why do I mention all of this? Because, for a long time, I thought I was the only one struggling with the job of raising children. I figured I was just an idiot. The one parent in the world with goofy kids.

Why?

Because other parents LIE.

Very few people, for whatever reason, will be honest that they have goofy kids too. At the soccer fields, during school field trips, at toddler gym - they don't mention that their kids are flunking math, or having trouble making friends, or still not potty trained even though they're four. They keep these things to themselves, going so far as to look cross-eyed when someone admits the truth.

Maybe their embarrassed or worried it reflects poorly on them. What I've learned, however, is that every family struggles in some way with raising children. It's just a part of the job.

It's okay. If everything was perfect, we wouldn't have those great character wrinkles.

I have decided, therefore, to share even more about my family life with my friends in the coming years, so they won't feel quite so alone. I encourage you to do the same.

It's a tough job, parenting. Important, rewarding...but messy. I enjoy the work...the benefits are pretty good.

But, I still want a raise!

-- By Ken Warner

Myself
04-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Yes, parenting is hard, frustrating, stupifying, outrageous, maddening, the pay is lousy and you have NO instruction book so you make lots of mistakes, but the benefits are truly rewarding. I wish I could have been there more for my kids. My wife did the bulk of the raising as I was bringing home the paycheck, but I am now a grandfather and greatgrandfather and that is so different. :)

unicorn9149
04-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Myself
Yes, parenting is hard, frustrating, stupifying, outrageous, maddening, the pay is lousy and you have NO instruction book so you make lots of mistakes, but the benefits are truly rewarding. I wish I could have been there more for my kids. My wife did the bulk of the raising as I was bringing home the paycheck, but I am now a grandfather and greatgrandfather and that is so different. :) Yep being a grandparent is beter.

Myself, where in Oregon?

Myself
04-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Oregon City! :) Outside of Portland a ways.

lilybee2
04-05-2003, 10:16 PM
HMM!! THIS MAY SOUND ODD BUT IN MY SITUATION ITS THE TRUTH,I RAISED 2 CHILDREN A GIRL AND A BOY,,MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE WITH A DEGREE TO BE A TEACHER,IAM PROUD THAT I RAISED HER TO BE A BRIGHT AND RESPONSIBLE YOUNG LADY/NOW MOTHER OF 2 HERSELF,,MY SON FINISHED COLLEGE EARLY ONLY BECAUSE HE FOUNDED THE CAREER HE WAS HAPPY WITH AND AGAIN IAM PROUD OF RAISING HIM AS A BRIGHT AND RESPONSIBLE YOUNG MAN,WHO IS IN THE MARKETING/DISTRIBUTING BUSINESS/NOW SINGLE

NOW AS A GRANDPARENT I STILL FIND MYSELF TEACHING MY GRANDCHILDREN THE SAME VALUES,AS MY DAUGHTER IS STILL LEARNING TO BE A GOOD MOTHER AND LEARNING THE ROPES SO TO SPEAK,SO WHEN I READ THIS POST I THOUGHT,THIS VALUE AND RESPONSIBILTY TRAINING NEVER LEAVES US EVEN AS GRANDPARENTS,ALTHOUGH I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT,IT IS STILL WITH ME AS A GRANDPARENT,SO IT IS AS EQUALLY THE SAME FOR US GRANDPARENTS,I GUESS IS WHAT IAM TRYING TO SAY,BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A GRANDPARENT TOO!! SO!! HIP HIP HOORAY!! FOR GRANDMAS!!! LOL!!

kelly12569
04-06-2003, 03:19 PM
WOW...... that hit close to home. We are raising 5 between us (his mine and ours) and everyday is quite a job. Thanks for reminding us were not the only ones. ;)