PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have insite on a heart attack?

hiltonqueen
04-04-2003, 10:22 AM
My Father-in-law had a mild heart attack this morning. They are lifeflighting him to Nashville for further tests, & have discovered 90% blockage... where, I'm not sure. We are in Birmigham, should we drive up there just in case?

nightrider127
04-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I really don't think anyone could give you an answer to that question, at least I can't. I think you should just do what you feel you need to do. I do know a little about heart blackages though. My aunt has had to have some blockages cleaned out. They will try angioplasty first and if that doesn't work, they will do open heart surgery on him.
Just to make you feel better, my aunt has had heart problems for a long, long time and the angioplasty worked for her. She is doing great now.
But again, this is a decision that you yourself will have to make. And, I hope everything turns out great for him.

mlathroum
04-04-2003, 10:58 AM
I have been a Cardiology tech for 16 years now. This is what they have us explain to our patients families.
Sounds like they are questioning if they should CABG ( Coronary Artery Bypass Graph) him. Usually with a blockage that high they will want to do one. They will most probably do a Cardiac Catherization. That is were they make an insision in his groin. Thread a wire up into his arteries to see where it is exactly. They will then decide if they should do an Angioplasty. A balloon is inserted into that part of the heart and slowly inflated. This pushes back the plaque to open the vessel again. If it doesn't stay open on its own they can place what they call a stent in the vessel to keep it open. If they feel the blockage is too long for the Angioplasty or stent then they will probably opt for the Bypass.
I will also say there are new ways of doing a bypass. The old way is to crack open the sternum from neck to abdomen. Do their insision and bypasses. Close the sternum up with wire and staple the chest shut.
There is a new way now that they can do laproscopicly depending on where the blockage is. They make a 5 or 6 inch insision under the left breast and go through like they do to do a tubal ligation or to take out the gallbladder.

Prayers and (((((hugs))))). Let us know how he does.

hiltonqueen
04-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Thank-you, we are driving up today after my husnd gets off work.

hiltonqueen
04-08-2003, 09:58 AM
My Father-in-law had surgery yesterday, he had a quad bi-pass. He's doing fantastic... they had him up & walking today! I'm so happy & at peace to know that he is going to be ok, as he really is the heart of the family. It really filled my heart to see all of the friends and family surrounding him, Including his wife, who is suffering with MS.
My dad died when I was 8, & my mom died in 1999... all of my grandparents have been long gone. I have been adopted by my husbands family & would prefer that they stick around.
I just wanted to share my good news :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

~Roxy~
04-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Glad he is up and doing good ((hugs))

ajksmom
04-08-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm so glad that your FIL is doing so well. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope that he continues to have good health. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

miccit
04-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear he is doing so well.

nightrider127
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
That is great news. I hope he gets to go home real soon.

mlathroum
04-08-2003, 12:23 PM
I am so glad he is doing well!!! He will recover fully with all his family around him. Do make sure he participates in Cardiac Rehab though. It helps the patients get right back up and where they used to be before the surgery. They do it slowly so it he doesn't to much to soon. They will probably wait until his chest is healed fully.