PDA

View Full Version : I just found out my dog may have cancer

Libbyab
03-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I am so broken hearted I can't stand it.I have had Zeus since he was 4 weeks old.He has been the best dog I have ever had.He thinks that I can fix anything that is wrong with him.He is a registered German Shepard and is now 7 and 1/2 years old.He has had a lot of skin problems since I have had him but I always take him to the vet and get him fixed.I took him in January and they said he had a staff infection and I took him back every week for about 6 weeks.It ended up costing about $800.00.Now I find out he probably has cancer,he has a GIANT groth on one of his back legs and it is starting to leak clear stuff and blood and he doesn't feel good or happy anymore.
I just really don't want to have to put him to sleep.
I have to take him Monday and get the groth removed and then wait and see if it is cancer.But the vet I saw today said it probably was.

brumzoo
03-29-2003, 09:01 PM
{{{{{{{{libbyab}}}}}}}}
{{{{{{{{Zeus}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry. Is chemo or radiation an option? There are two wonderful oncology vets at the LSU Vet School that have just opened up a radiation wing here.

Hillbilly
03-29-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm so sorry.:( (((((Libbyab & Zeus)))))

Libbyab
03-29-2003, 09:13 PM
They haven't told me for sure it is cancer yet.They can't say until they cut the groth off and send it off to see if it is cancer.I can't do anything but cry and hug him.He is like a baby to me.As we came home from the vets today he was in the backseat and just put his head on my sholder and it just broke my heart even more.
He is a really smart dog and he understands certain words that you speak.I know he didn't know what the vet told me but he could tell that I was sad.

eeigh33
03-29-2003, 11:08 PM
((((((((((((((((Libbyab and Zeus)))))))))))))

chrissypoo
03-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Oh my.........I'll say my prayers for you both.

(((((Libbyab & Zeus)))))

*StarDust*
03-29-2003, 11:31 PM
{{{{Libbyab & zeus}}}} I am so sorry I know I can't say anything to make you feel better but I hope everything comes out ok for you. {{{Hugs}}}

CarolinaBlue
03-30-2003, 05:15 AM
I sure hope it turns out not to be cancer. I went through the same sort of scare with my dog that I had a zillion years ago (it wasn't cancer after all). Hopefully, even if it is cancer, they can do chemo or radiation on him.

lisarae
03-30-2003, 03:58 PM
I got a pekingese for my 16th Birtday. She was the sweetest dog in the world. Her name was Ginger, and she was gingercolored, and weighted almost 6lbs. She was tiny. We noticed that she had a growth on her breast, it was a small cluster of bumps on one of them. Then it kept getting larger and larger, almost to the size of a golf ball. The vet didn't want to operate, but she did say it was breast cancer. It was like that a while and she lived pain free for over a year. Then all of a sudden she got diarrhea, and had a glaze over her eyes, and went almost blind. Was running into things, and thats when we decided to have her put to sleep. It was the saddest thing in the world.
Sorry to kinda take over, I havent talked to anyone about it before. I miss her alot.

BeanieLuvR
03-30-2003, 04:05 PM
(((((Libbyab & Zeus)))))

I really hope that it is not cancer.

WitchyGurl
03-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Don't be afraid of your dog getting Chemo Therapy. Dogs don't seem to get sick while on it. Some do have reactions, but it's rare.
There's a chance of reactions with any medication.
I'll send healing energies that way!

Libbyab
03-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Well I am so happy I can't stop crying!!!!!!!I took Zeus to the vet this morning and left him.About 30 minutes after I got home the vet called and said it was a massive tumor and he didn't think he could do anything.I started crying like a baby.He said he would go back and check one more time and let me know.I waited about an hour and a half on pins and needles walking through the house holding the phone and crying.Then he called and said......HE GOT IT!!!!!!
It was 12 inches long and eight inches wide.He had to pull alot of skin around just to get him sewed back up.The tissue underneath is healthy and he thinks Zeus will make it.He is on IV now and the vet said he would call either this evening or tomorrow and let me know when Zeus came home.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ladybreaker
03-31-2003, 09:11 AM
THAT IS SO GREAT TO HEAR!!!!!!!!!!! i was just about to post about my sweet baby--max.and his daddy--major cody III-both german shephard's--both taken by cancer! i am so happy that your baby will be o.k.!!!!!!!!

brumzoo
03-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Great news! Sending big happy hugs you & Zeus' way!

BeanieLuvR
03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
I am so happy for you! I hope that he can come home soon. :)

Libbyab
04-13-2003, 08:54 PM
I just thought I would let you know that Zeus is still at the vets and I am supposed to check Tuesday if he can come home yet.The vet said they had to treat it as an open wound because it kept pulling back open.I miss him so bad that I am starting to dream about him.He has never spent a whole day away from me since he was 4 weeks old.I used to take him to work with me.I am thinking I should go see him again tomorrow.Just to let him know I am still here and waiting on him to get beter.I have known dogs that miss their family so bad that they just quit trying.

BeanieLuvR
04-13-2003, 09:45 PM
I am so sorry Zeus didn`t get to come home yet. I am sure that he would love to see you.

{{{{Libbyab and Zeus}}}}

Kelsey1224
04-14-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm glad your news is good. Our 12-year old cocker, Daisy, has cancer. It was discovered in her mouth a year ago. The vet said we could have surgery to remove half of her jaw...but even then...the prognosis wasn't good. We love this dog...why would we do that to her.

She said that most dogs don't live a year after melanoma is found. Daisy is still hanging on and doesn't appear to be in any pain. She has started wheezing so we are guessing that it has spread to her lungs.

She still wants to play like a puppy and lives to eat. We were told that she would start losing her appetite. Well..that hasn't happened yet. When the time comes we will do what's best for her. She has been a wonderful pet and we will miss her horribly.

Libbyab
04-18-2003, 08:35 PM
I went to see Zeus Thursday.To me he looked like sh!t.He was skinny as hell and he was very dirty.They have him in a cage that is like 5' by 4'.That is really small for a German Shepard that is used to acers and acers of free space to move around in.He doesn't even act like himself.He seems so depressed.I am really starting to worry about him.
I snuck him in a pork chop and he acted liked he was starving to death.This is a dog that NEVER tried to hoard food.But he would have fought for that chop.That just makes me even more sure that he is starving.
My UPS man grumbles all the time because he can't find anything he will eat.He ask me one day how I kept him alive because he wouldn't eat anything he gave him.I told him he was just picky.The UPS guy said "no joke". Yet he still brings him stuff to try.
I sure do miss Zeus and hubby is going to see him tomorrow.
I wish he could come home for Easter but after the Giant whole I saw in him Thursday there isn't much hope of that.
At least he is still akive!

Libbyab
04-18-2003, 08:58 PM
I have thought about taking him somewhere else but he has been to EVERY vet in this county and severai that are in other counties.My husband says that since they are having to clean his wound 3 times a day that he is going to be dirty and since it is an open wouud that is 12 inches long and 8 inches wide that they can't let him have alot of room.
But shouldn't they have his little cell cleaned out?And can't they give him food he wants to eat?
This isn't a damn puppy this is an 8 year old dog sat in its ways.I would be more than happy to bring him his food every night.He eats at 6:00 and eats 2 8 ounces of Iams and 1 can of skippy and it has to be stirred with extra grease for his coat,
The dog I saw Thursday would have ate me if I had been covered in grease.Thet are starving my dog.:(

Hubby better raise hell before I have to.That is my baby!

tiggerzme2
04-19-2003, 10:28 PM
several years ago when our dog at that time had to spend over a week at the vets they not only let us feed him but encouraged it! our dog just wouldnt eat for them. also we visited several times a day but the vets office was like a half block from us. they said that us being there brought him thru his ordeal where he might not have made it if we hadnt visited. ask your vet they might allow you to bring his own food ect. worth a shot.

Libbyab
05-07-2003, 08:18 PM
WOOHOO!!!!! Zeus came home today!He has been stitched up about 4" on top and bottom and still has a really BIG hole in the middle and I have to fill a syringe up twice a day and flush the hole out but he looks SO good and is almost as happy as I am!I am so glad he is home.:D

Right now and for the rest of the night he is locked in the small bathroom with the lampshade over his head.But at least he is home!:D

BeanieLuvR
05-07-2003, 08:32 PM
That`s great news!! I am so happy that he finally got to come home. :)

schsa
05-08-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm so happy for you. My pupper goes in to have surgery on her knee next Thursday. I'm just not good with other people's pain...

katzenberg
05-08-2003, 08:15 AM
i had a dog that a tumor on her leg soi knowit was agonizing to wait for the vets call.iamglad it was not not cancer .my dogs hadjust a tumoralso so i know you have got to be so happy mydog and cats are like kids to me.so if any hting happended to them it would be like losing a human family member.

katzenberg
05-08-2003, 08:16 AM
the tumor wassent cancerious.