PDA

View Full Version : Question about hamsters - kinda gross

sea-shell
03-29-2003, 06:09 AM
My son's hamster had babies yesterday - when I went back to check on them later in the evening SHE WAS EATING THEM! Why in the world would she do that? I took the male out last week so he was not in there and noone messed with the babies after they were born. Any suggestions as to why would be appreciated.

Laura

mlathroum
03-29-2003, 06:21 AM
I think they will eat them if they have died or are sick.

miccit
03-29-2003, 07:10 AM
That happens sometimes. Did she eat all of them or just some of them? I know when my little brothers hamster had like 20 she ate a few of them.

cch
03-29-2003, 08:51 AM
If they aren't getting enough nutrients they MIGHT eat them. But, they eat the embilical cord off and if the baby doesn't make a sound or move then she just keeps on eating. I had one that ate her babies so I researched it with my local librarian. Unfortunatly she just was a sick cannibal and killed the male after I put them back together.

sea-shell
03-29-2003, 04:57 PM
She only had 3 babies and ate all 3 of them. The pet shoppe owner told me that sometimes they just do it for no reason. The hamster is my 17 year old sons and he promised my 7 year old a baby. So now that he knew she had babies and ate them he was so upset. But mom to the rescue we went to the pet store and got to buy his own hamster and all the trimmings. Now that is just what I need something else to take care of LOL Thanks for everyones responses.

1busymomma
03-29-2003, 06:16 PM
oh ick, our rabbit did the same thing not to long ago. It was gross!!!! I'm so sorry. :(

wall flower
03-30-2003, 08:12 AM
my daughter's dog did the same to one of her pups.....