PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the best deal on carpet??

NL1720
03-27-2003, 08:34 PM
We're almost done remodeling our basement, final step is carpeting. We've looked around at the so-called "deals" only to find that you get stiffed bigtime when it comes to the cost of installation, or pad is extra. My Mom says to try a carpet warehouse and I read in a magazine to buy wholesale (which mainly gets shipped from Georgia) and hire our own installer.

Anyone care to share their expertise?

adair
03-28-2003, 12:33 AM
have no expertise on this but am interested in finding out what you find out. The only thing I seem to remember concerning carpet buying is to get a really good pad. I think I would be doing some comparison shopping and then try some wheelin' n' dealin' to see if you can get the prices down just a tad.

DBackFan
03-28-2003, 06:24 AM
I have to re carpet rental houses all the time and this is my best tip. Look in your local paper for a services section. Call some of the carpet installers from there who have no storefront to keep up. I can get carpet, pad and installation (medium grade) for less than 13.00 a yard total even installation. Good luck.

2chevys
03-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Don't know if it was the best deal but we bought at Home Depot. They had free padding when we bought and we could defer the payments for 6 months with no interest (so we could pay with our tax refund). It wasn't a bad price. We paid $450 for 38.5 sqyd of a top quality cut berber then another $300 for the installation. Plus they stand behind their merchandise and the companies they hire for the installation.
We had friends that bought their carpet at a place that sells end rolls and remnants and then found a guy that would install on his off time which saved them lots of money but what do you do if there are problems?

djays63
06-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Hello.
I have my 2 cents worth on this subject ...the inside information.

As part of a family that has been in the flooring business with a 15,000 square foot stocking warehouse and two showrooms for over 20 years, I have something to say on this subject.
I absolutely recommend finding a place which stocks carpet and has a good selection of remnants. This means that they do a volume of business.
Make sure that they have been in business for at least 5 years and / or check your local newspaper for companies which run full page ads regularly. These will be the established and reputable companies in your area, usually family owned.
Remnants are the ends of rolls or extra carpet from a special order. These are priced by original cost ( at least in our store they are). You can figure out the number of yards and cost per yard of a remnant by multiplying the width ( either 12 ft. 15 ft. or 13.6 ft, typical widths 12 being most common) by the length and dividing by 9. The number you arrive at is the total number of yards. - *note: you may do the same in figuring out how much carpet you need for your space- Divide the price marked on the remnant by your yardage number and you will know the price per yard.
This is typically 7.50 - 9.00 per yard.
A business owner has very little use for these remnants aside from customers in your situation... lowball them.
Just because you are purchaing a remnant does not mean they will not contract with you to install it... or that the liscensed installers who work for them will not do an EXCELLENT job installing on the side for that matter.

Pad & labor combined ranges from 6.00 - 8.00 per yard depending on your region, this typically includes moving furniture ( except for grand pianos or 1000 gallon fishtanks! LOL).
If the area is empty.. say so! You will save on labor.

The warranty on carpet installation is one to two years, industry standard.
The product itself has a separate warranty or warranties which pertain to a) the carpet mill, how the fiber is tufted and backed
& b) the fiber manufacturer, stain protection etc. Installers will do repairs for $50-$75 after the 1 yr/ 2 yr installation warranty.
(PS. Carpet is adversly affected by temperature variances so if a home goes through extremes .. such as people who leave their Florida vacation home closed up without airconditioning for months on end...you will need restretches and it has nothing to do with the carpet being faulty or your installers being bufoons ...... the carpet relaxed and expanded in the heat. Carpet backing is made of Polypropylene <recycled plastic> coated with latex and granite dust.)

In choosing your carpet,
Fiber versus cost is going to be what it most important. Seconded by choice of color.

The best fiber is a Solution Dyed Nylon type 6 which will not mat crush or fade.
Nylon is the most superior fiber .Fiber branded by Dupont stainmaster is superior. 'Tactesse' is the lastest fiber from Dupont which mimics the feel of cotton. Polyester fiber is prone to matting but will not fade in sunlight.
Olefin is what berber is most often crafted from, though having the advantage of being cleaned with a bleach solution without incident, will eventually flatten out and loops of Olefin berber will break over time causing small "cuts" on the bare foot. Olefin should be about $10.00 per yard carpet only and 16.00-18.00 installed.
Whatever your choice of fiber look for added stain protection.
Look for a "continuous filament" not a "staple". Staple is carpet which is made of millions of short fibers... it will NEVER stop shedding ...until it is threadbare.
Rental replacement carpet is a staple carpet which does meet the 24oz FHA standard, this is not only a quality indicator but a consideration if you have an FHA loan.

Do not choose the darkest shade possible ...or the lightest when purchasing flooring or you will ALWAYS see dirt & or a traffic pattern. A mid range tone ( about the color of faded asphalt... which will be what is staining your carpet most of the time) is your best choice.
Browns,Grays or multicolored carpets will disguise wear and dirt better than other colors.

Nearly every store has a 6 months same as cash finance program available for you, just ask. Most family owned businesses will understand extrenuating circumstances and will work out other payment schedules with you, they will also open early or stay late to help you just like the 'mom & Pop' places in the old days.

The best people in the Industry are members of the World floorcovering Association and the local branches of it.
They will have certificates and licenses posted at their places business, showing that they care enough about their customers to continue their education and maintain credentials just like individuals in medical fields.

An excellent guide is available online at:
http://www.wfca.org/flooringguide/guide.asp

Visiting www.stainmaster.com will also iron out alot of questions about warranties and such you may have.

If you have any specific flooring questions or need to know if you are being treated fairly you may contact the WFCA
(or just email me.)

I love my fellow board members like family!

stresseater
06-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Well my favorite place to go get carpet is BEHIND the carpet store after dark.:D :D
Really... you can get the pad and carpet for free and you would be surprised at the nice carpet that people have ripped up and tossed just cause they want a new color/kind. Then we put it down ourselves.:D :D