PDA

View Full Version : i got lots of stuff today to send out to the soldiers!!!

ladybugbhb
03-27-2003, 10:32 AM
omg! i went around town today and i got a ton of stuff!!! just want you guys to knwo that you can do this and lots of businesses were happy to help!!! i got 5 CASES of contact lense cleaners and solutions and eye drops. i got a CASE of dental floss, 3 boxes of tooth brushes, 2 cases of flea powder and lots of resuraunt condiments!!! yippeee!!!!!

go get on the phone and start asking!!!!

Tadbit
03-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Congrats to you! They will love this stuff.

tiffany21
03-27-2003, 11:49 AM
wow congrats I think I will get a few people together and do that also. when I revocer.

bngomom
03-27-2003, 02:14 PM
This is a great thing you are doing. Is someone helping you pay for postage?

cab244
03-27-2003, 02:20 PM
There was a message posted on the HugstoKuwait bulletin board that said not to send anymore packages to the troops right now because they didn't have the capacity to transport them to the troops in a timely manner. If there is someone you can contact you may want to do so to make sure that it will get to whomever you are sending the stuff too.

lpelham
03-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I saw this posted again today:

Mar 26, 2003
Military Pleads With Public to Stop Sending Unsolicited Care Packages to Troops

By Mona Chamberlin
Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Legions of well-meaning church groups and schoolchildren have overwhelmed the military with unsolicited care packages and letters for troops fighting in and around Iraq. Because of security concerns, the Department of Defense has started advising people that many of the packages and letters intended for random troops can't be accepted.

In addition to possibly exposing military personnel to biological or chemical threats, unsolicited mail competes for limited airlift space with mail sent by friends and relatives, the Pentagon said.

In October 2001, anthrax concerns led defense officials to abolish the "Operation Dear Abby" and "Any Service Member" postal programs, now conducted through e-mail.

"There's great support ... for the deployed servicemen - not only for National Guard but for all the services - and believe me, the people who are deployed need that support," said Lt. Col. Pete Brooks, spokesman for the South Carolina National Guard.

"The problem comes in not knowing what is in the prepackaged packages, and of course that comes from the anthrax scare."

Phillip Reavis, principal at Oakview Elementary in Simpsonville, said his pupils were already writing letters when word came that they might not be delivered.

"We have been looking at some other opportunities, such as electronic mail," Reavis said.

Children at Newington Elementary in Summerville collected items to fill more than 270 shoeboxes for troops, which teachers took to nearby Charleston Air Force Base on Monday - despite the Pentagon advisory.

"These packages are all inspected here by our people and then sealed up," said Lt. Col. Bruce Adkins of the 701st Airlift Squadron. "We are trying to do the best we can to get them distributed."

Supporters elsewhere were unhappy with the policy but seemed to understand.

"It's too bad," said Irene Ungson, a nurse from Campbell, Calif., who was trying to find out how a Girl Scout group could send letters to soldiers. "You don't necessarily have to believe in the war, but I think we need to be supporting the guys over there."

The Department of Defense refers troop supporters to the USO, which accepts $25 donations toward Pentagon-approved packages for soldiers headed overseas. The packages contain items that military personnel have requested - such as CDs, books, toiletries, sunscreen and, the most popular, calling cards - along with a message from the person who provided the contribution.

Most of the packages go to departing troops, because delivering items in the middle of a battle is a logistical nightmare, said Elaine Rogers, president of the USO of Metropolitan Washington.

American Red Cross spokeswoman Stacey Grissom said her office is encouraging people to contact their local Red Cross to determine where support is needed most. Volunteering time at veterans' hospitals and helping military families left behind is often more important - and probably more successful - than trying to send cookies or shaving supplies to the front lines, she said.

USO officials said their group can use cash donations to support other programs, which include housing for family members of wounded soldiers or entertainment events.

And Brooks, of the National Guard, was quick to say that the military doesn't want to seem like it doesn't appreciate the thought.

"We're very grateful for all the support that is going on, it's just that the support needs to come in the way that the Department of Defense has approved," he said.

---

On the Net:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/support-troops.html

http://www.usocares.org

http://www.redcross.org

http://www.aafes.com/docs/homefront.htm

AP-ES-03-26-03 0135EST

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAD9UJXQDD.html

ladybugbhb
03-27-2003, 06:14 PM
i thionk it is ok if you are a friend or family member. and my brother is friends of several over there. he just got out of the marines. and i also have a cousin over there in the army. i think they just want alot of strangers to stop.

newwiccan
03-27-2003, 06:18 PM
That article means mail addressed to "any service member". I talked to my husband about it today. He did say mail is taking longer to get there.

Tasha405
03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I think its great that you're doing this! {{{hugs}}} :)

BrightEyes
03-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Do you live near a base? Ours is taking stuff like that to our guys. We are sending girl scout cookies etc and the base is loading them and transporting them for us as they have room, no postage or anything, Just call consumer affairs or something like that and ask them if they can do that for you! They will jsut fill in space on the cargo planes with it. Cant hurt to try!