PDA

View Full Version : yeah right

renrut*
03-25-2003, 12:03 PM
i had a job interview and in the process they said they do a credit check. now mind u,its for a gas station 1 fricken day a week till may then their hours expand for the summer. i asked them y they do that they said.........
we feel that a person that has bad credit isnt a person we can trust with our store. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say i must not be a very trusting person,cause my credit sucks!!!!

guess i should have told them to check out my bbs feedback huh-lmfao

~MK~
03-25-2003, 12:46 PM
They should go pray for brains..along with some other people..;)

mrs.john
03-25-2003, 12:48 PM
You would think that trustworthiness might depend on a criminal background check, not a credit check.

juliegirl78
03-25-2003, 12:53 PM
{{{{ren}}}}

wingsfan
03-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by renrut
i had a job interview and in the process they said they do a credit check. now mind u,its for a gas station 1 fricken day a week till may then their hours expand for the summer. i asked them y they do that they said.........
we feel that a person that has bad credit isnt a person we can trust with our store. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say i must not be a very trusting person,cause my credit sucks!!!!

guess i should have told them to check out my bbs feedback huh-lmfao

Yep, lots of companies do that now. I didn't get a manager's job with KBToys because of my credit, even though the DM said I was the most qualified :rolleyes:

Gumball1960
03-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Walmart has a space on their job apps that you have to fill in where you give your consent to do a credit check. It also states on the back that if you don't fill out the app completely, they can refuse to accept it. I think that sucks since my credit stinks too. :mad:

Ladytiger
03-25-2003, 01:35 PM
That's crap! So sorrry Ren {{{{hugs}}}}}, you aren't asking for credit, you are asking for a job so that you can fix the credit, that's just crazy, just as they do credit to rent somewhere. I just don't get it, one thing has nothing to do with the other.:mad:

*StarDust*
03-25-2003, 01:41 PM
That Sucks:mad:
They should be more interested in how well a person can do the job not what their credit looks like. Just my Opinion but I don't think it's any of their business what your credit looks like. I mean a lot of people get bad credit cause they don't make enough money to pay all their bills. So they go to look for a better job and then can't get it since their credit is bad. That's just stupid so then those people who are trying to better them selves get turned down.
I think that sucks:mad: JMO

{{{Renrut}}}

renrut*
03-25-2003, 01:47 PM
its stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have management experience in gas stations and this one is only for a dumb cashier lol

Gumball1960
03-25-2003, 01:52 PM
I wanted to apply at Walmart until I found out about the credit check - I was only applying to stock shelves not run a register or work in the office. It stinks.

ocvachick
03-25-2003, 01:56 PM
That is WEIRD!! Never in my life heard of someone running a credit check for a job like that.

I worked in a thrift store and they ran a criminal check tho....

aneisu
03-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Don't quote me on this - but...

I don't think you should not apply for a job b/c they run a credit check. They usually don't look at the same things someone giving you credit would. They are interested in seeing if there is anything that stands out as really bad. Also - many companies ask you allow them to run a credit check and even if you sign off on it they don't. Its more to weed out those who won't let them & used for certain positions. They also use it if they just don't like someone but have no reason to not hire them - that sucks, is wrong & can't be proven.

don't give up yet - you might still get it!

Jolie Rouge
03-25-2003, 02:40 PM
They also may do it to track a persons' movements - see if it matches what was put down on the resume'

If a person has a habit of running up big bills and then leaving town - they might not want them running their cash register or having access to the safe.

But you are right -- it bites

krisharry
03-25-2003, 03:15 PM
I think it stinks. It's not as if you are applying to
drive an armored car or something. I think it stinks
when they check your credit for car insurance too.
My SIL is a singlemom and ran into some credit probs
but always paid rent, insurance, etc. was late on
some charge cards and when she bought a new car
Allstate would no longer insure her. Good enough credit
to get a car loan but not insurance. I don't think
they should do it. Sorry to ramble, hope you find a
position regardless. :)

justinenycole26
03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Go ahead and apply. The credit check that is done for employment is entirely different than the one done when actually applying for credit. They are looking for things like theft, a lot of judgements, etc. I have the world's worst credit and still got a great job even after the credit check. 99% of applications state that by signing you are giving them permission to check the info you gave them and check other things like credit and job references. Just because they ask does not mena they are going to do it. It costs a company money to check your credit so they are not going to do it unless they have a good reason. A lot of times they will not do the credit check unless you are offered a management position or something like that. Also, being a convenience soter, they may want to have you bonded so you would be no good to them if you can't be bonded. Just a thought.

EricsnKy
03-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Credit Checks are a widespread requirement now days for employment. I think they are most understandable at financial instutions. If you've defaulted on a loan from that company , or owe them an outstanding balance they certainly wouldn't want you working for them. But for places like convience stores I dont see a big point of doing so. But I think its totally understandable at financial instituions and other comparable jobs. Also Walmart DOES NOT do credit checks, they just reserve the right to do so. At least the ones around my area do not.

renrut*
03-25-2003, 05:07 PM
you dont have to be bonded for this one. he said the reason was they wanted to see if people paid their bills on time becuase people that dont they dont trust to leave their storein their hands. ok so what my credit stinks!!!!!!!!!! how about u check my rent,electric,phone,cable,the important things that have to be paid-lol the reason i dont clear up my credit is becasue i really dont care. it is sooooooooooooo messed up its pathetic. they said they go back as far as it will let them.i know i should care about it,but i dont,so sue me-lol

EricsnKy
03-25-2003, 05:10 PM
I guess that is reasonable enough in some scenarios. If people aren't responsible enough to pay their bills than they arent responsible enough to have a job at certain companies. On the other hand some people have to choose between neccesities and that visa bill, and that I can totally understand. It a really dicy subject ... However I think a criminal check would far outweigh that of a credit report. Hope you find something else or perhaps you can try explaining to them ?

renrut*
03-25-2003, 05:15 PM
yeah i tried to explain but it didnt help. im not gonna sweat it,it just made me mad thats all. he knew i had a felony on my record from a loooooooong time ago and he said that wouldnt stand in my way,that it is ok. so hire me cause i am a felon but have perfect credit but dont hire me cause my credit stinks and i have a excellent work history