PDA

View Full Version : I really would like your opinions on a topic about my dog...

freebiegrl22
03-24-2003, 07:22 PM
I am not putting this in vent and whine b/c Its not either. I would like your advice and I will take it all to heart.

I have a dog named buddie. He's the coolest dog in the world. I have had him almost 8 years and he's like my baby. He's a pomerainian and he's also vet-certified schizophrenic. He's a happy little dog, even though he is crazy most of the time.

We got him to help with my depression. He always protected me. Its funny to see people scared of a little dog (even though he was a chubby baby, probably about 25 pounds at his heaviest) I could go on and on about how wonderful he is.

I got buddie from a shelter. They said the previous owners could not control him and now we know its because of his schizophrenia and he had a thyroid problem.

Buddie wanted to be a bad-ass a year ago, so he thought he would be cool and attack a great dane. Bad mistake. The Great Dane almost took his leg off, but being the stubborn boy he is, he walked all the way home, then passed out on our front steps.

I thought he healed well, but now there is major trouble. Buddie has gone completely blind by cataracts. My once chubby boy is skin and bones (He went from 25 lbs to 4 lbs in a matter of months.) He has lost most of his hair. We took him to the vet and they just told me that they just found out Buddie is a diabetic. His kidneys are severly damaged. The vet says without treatment Buddie will die. She says she would like to treat him, but we also might want to look into putting him to sleep. We will have to get a bottle of insulin (30 bucks a month) and give him 2 shots a day. He will have to go back to the vet and be monitored every month (150.00 per visit)

I do not want to be selfish, but I would give my life for my dog. I would like to treat him, but there is no guarentee to anything. They do not know how horribly damaged his kidneys are. I have been thinking about treating him for a month to see if it works, but then I also think that if he is truly suffering on the inside, I will put him to sleep?

If this was your dog, what would you do?

1busymomma
03-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Wow what a tough decision to make!!! First off, I want to give you a big (((((hug)))))

second I would try and treat him for a month and if that did not work I would look into putting him to sleep. While we never want to let go of our babies, and our friends, we don't want them suffering either.

I say give it a go and if it comes down to letting him pass, then at least you will have tried and have made his last days precious and comfortable.

heartlvrs
03-24-2003, 07:35 PM
this is SOO Hard...but I could not let him suffer..this has me crying

so sorry for you..prayers and hugs

freebiegrl22
03-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The decision is on me. I have been crying for 2 days and am now fighting a very deep deep depression. I was holding him while I was crying and he just sat there blankly, licking at my tears, even though he couldn't see them...

I just don't know. He seems happy when I'm there, but I don't want him to suffer, but then I don't want to let him go...

chrissypoo
03-24-2003, 08:00 PM
(((((Freebiegrl)))))

I think animals are the greatest and I wish you many hugs in making this decision.

I know it's hard and I would be like you, crying all the time.

A few months ago some friends of mine had to make a decision about their poodle. Nicole was blind, mostly deaf, had high blood pressure and was just going downhill. Her kidney's were also failing. Even through all of this, she was still a delightful little thing. She would cuddle and sleep and even got enough energy up to play once in awhile. Finally the vet said that her blood pressure was still too high and asked if it was fair to her to keep her alive. Her quality of life was pretty much gone.

They decided to go ahead and have her go to Doggieland in Heaven. I held her the day before she was taken to the vet and I cryed. Yet....I know she's much happier up there in Heaven. She's now young, vibrant, can see, can hear and is playing up a storm. That brings me comfort.

My prayers go out to you and please know that I understand.

1busymomma
03-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Freebiegrl, yes, the decision is ultimatley yours. I suggested the treatment only because I don't want you to beat yourself up over the well waht if I would have tried....this is just a no win situation hon. Just continue to snuggle with buddie and let him know ya' love him. (((((hugs))))))

ttistin
03-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by 1busymomma
Freebiegrl, yes, the decision is ultimatley yours. I suggested the treatment only because I don't want you to beat yourself up over the well waht if I would have tried....this is just a no win situation hon. Just continue to snuggle with buddie and let him know ya' love him. (((((hugs))))))

I agree with this. If it were up to me {and I know it isnt} I would want to try anything to help him. To maybe see if things arent as bad as they thought. I know that I would always wonder "what if..." I just dont want you to go through that if you decide not to try the treatment. The decision is up to you, My thoughts and prayers are with you and buddie.

{{{{{{{freebiegrl22 & Buddie}}}}}}}

Ladytiger
03-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Awww, I had to make the same decision with my family dog, they left it up to me since it was my dog, but he had hip displasia (sp). I would hear him whimper all night, and that broke my heart more than doing what I had to do. Freebie, listen to her heart, and you will know the answer. My dog actually looked up and smiled at me after the vet had injected him, yes, he smiled. The vet even cried with that. I think that you will just know in your heart of hearts what is right, and I will be there, holding your hand in spirit with whatever you decide.
{{{{{freebiegrl}}}}}}

kelly12569
03-24-2003, 09:06 PM
((((((((((freebiegrl22))))))))))

jcw
03-24-2003, 10:56 PM
((((((((((freebiegrl22)))))))))) I'm so sorry about buddie .

gemini26
03-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Freebiegirl, a while back I had posted on a dog that was having some problems and I did as you have done, came here and asked for advice. I decided that since it did not appear that he was in pain (at least that I could tell) I would give all options a try. I was able to have him in my life for a few more months because of this before I did need to put him down because of then having pain and other complications. If your dog appears to be ok and not in pain then try the treatment so that you know that you at least tried everything before "giving up" (for lack of a better term). It will make you feel better to know that you tried your best to keep your dog healthy and you won't feel so guilty if it does come to having to put it down. Your dog sounds like a fighter so I know if it was me I would give it a chance to beat what ails it now. The best thing though is to do what is in your heart. You might try treatment for a month or two to see what happens and it would give you a chance to come to terms of having to put it down if necessary. Best wishes to you and feel free to email me if you want. I have lost two dogs since November and the one was a real struggle. Take care!!

freebiegrl22
03-25-2003, 08:35 AM
I thank you all so much for your advice, prayers and thoughts. I have decided to treat Buddie. I have gone to a website for pets with diabetes and it gave me real hope. They even have a support group! From what I learned, it is not a death sentence, and even though there is damage to his body and it is permanent, if I treat him, he COULD get better. You guys were definitely right when someone said that If I put him to sleep, I would have kept asking myself if there was more I could do.

I am taking Buddie to the vet and they are going to teach us how to do injections and teach us about his new diet and such. I just want him to get better.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. It means the world to me.

gemini26
03-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Duh, I forgot my email, dwyer18@hotmail.com Also keep us posted on how Buddy is doing.

schsa
03-25-2003, 11:25 AM
How bad it is depends on how early it was caught. Try treatment for a month or two. If through all of the tests, the vet can see improvement the go ahead. Your vet will be able to tell you soon enough if the kidney damage is fatal or not. Kidney disease is a very quiet killer. My heart goes out to you. I have one with seizures and hip dysplasia and another with allergies. We line up every morning together and take our pills.

Maeryn
03-25-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Good luck with your baby's treatment! If the day comes when you have to end his suffering, it would be a good idea to get support, esp if you're already dealing with depression. Hope this helps:

http://boards2.ivillage.com/cgi-bin/boards/ptbereavement

Aunt2Makayla
03-25-2003, 03:10 PM
(((((Freebiegirl & Buddy))))
I am happy that you are trying the treatment for Buddy. My Aiko is 13 and has started to go down hill . We kid that she is senile(sp). She barks at things that aren't there.LOL. But, I love her and will go to any lengths to keep her happy.