PDA

View Full Version : POLL : If end is near, do you want to know?

Jolie Rouge
03-15-2003, 10:17 PM
If astronomers detect a planet-killing asteroid right before it hits Earth, do you want to know ?

Yes, I would like to be able to prepare for the end. 70% with 58930 votes

No, I would rather enjoy the last minutes without knowing.
30% with 25007 votes

Total: 83,937 votes

--------------------------

If end is near, do you want to know?
By Richard Stenger CNN

(CNN) -- If scientists detect a killer asteroid shortly before it slams into Earth, should the public be informed?

One researcher, Geoffrey Sommer of the Rand Corp., a Santa Monica, California-based think tank, believes the best answer in some cases is no. Should an alert come too late to make a difference in the outcome of a global catastrophe, Sommer suggests governments should remain silent. "If you can't do anything about a warning, then there is no point in issuing a warning at all," Sommer said earlier this month at an American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Denver. "If an extinction-type impact is inevitable, then ignorance for the populace is bliss," he said.

Other space researchers were highly critical of Sommer's views. "I find Geoffrey's whole idea both irrational and unrealistic," said Benny Peiser, a U.K. scientist at Liverpool John Moores University who monitors asteroid threats. "The advocated secrecy, far from being cost-effective as Geoffrey claims, would most certainly preclude any attempt at impact mitigation," he told CNN.com.

Regardless, Peiser said, any attempt to keep a killer asteroid quiet would be futile. "Professional and amateur astronomers from around the world can easily access and confirm observational data and calculations of any discovered NEOs [Near Earth Objects]," he said.

Scientists estimate more than 1,000 asteroids 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) in diameter or larger -- big enough to cause global devastation -- lurk near the Earth's orbital path.

NASA expects to finish a census of the so-called NEOs in 2008 and has already identified more than half of the predicted population. One particularly sizable space boulder is thought to have unleashed global climate changes that hastened the end of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Yet collisions with such monster rocks are rare. They take place about only once every 1 million years or so. Smaller asteroids the size of whales collide every few centuries. Most plunk in oceans, but they could spark regional disasters if they were to hit near a populated area, according to astronomers.

mesue
03-15-2003, 10:31 PM
What was it that hit Jupiter a few years back it was 12 impacts there, doesn't seem like its such a rare thing, as for me I don't want to know, but if they do tell us, I've never done drugs but in a case where tomorrow not gonna matter anyway, I'm going to get higher than a Georgia pine and just not give a darn!

jasmine
03-15-2003, 10:36 PM
well, first of all, coming from my religious beliefs, the earth will not be destroyed, God said. If one does hit, it will not end the human race............

BUT

Would I want to know????

tough question, If we were told such a thing was going to happen, it would cause so much caious {spelling??} that the majority of people would go into tremendous panic mode, all the phone lines would be blocked, people scramming everywhere to get with loved ones, so the streets would be impassable with cars everywhere. etc...

Then again, I would want the chance to gather with my loved ones. I would want to hold my children, my husband.

That's a really tough question!!!!!! Makes you think.
If we were told, and they told us possible where it would hit the earth, we could do major evacuations and have a greater chance of saving lives.

denisemm
03-15-2003, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't want to know. Because I woudl freak out & be worried & sad & stressed & etc, and I don't want to live the final moments of my life that way.

adair
03-15-2003, 10:52 PM
No, I would rather enjoy the last minutes without knowing.
30% with 25007 votes

Add me to the NOPE list

spongebob
03-15-2003, 11:37 PM
no i don't think i would want to know either..

cpbaby
03-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by denisemm
I wouldn't want to know. Because I woudl freak out & be worried & sad & stressed & etc, and I don't want to live the final moments of my life that way.

Thats how I feel also!

Tyt Budget
03-16-2003, 09:27 AM
There is no way I'd want to know. I also would not want to be one of the few survivors of a human-induced attack. Just beam me up. :)

jayhawkfan
03-16-2003, 10:45 AM
I would want to know so that I could be with the people I love. My family has talked about this before, and we decided that we would all meet at a certian place and just be together :)

Danny
03-16-2003, 01:50 PM
I would definately want to know so I could spend my last days putting my life right, loving my family and preparing for the next life.

schsa
03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I don't think it really matters. I just don't want to be a survivor if the entire planet is not destroyed.