PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grocery stores do you have in your town?

Lisa03
03-03-2003, 09:21 AM
I live in a very small town & we only have Food Lion & Winn Dixie

Here where I work at, they have those plus Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter

I go to Harris Teeter alot now since I know they DOUBLE COUPONS! :)

so what kind of grocery stores do you have?

you like them or hate them?:D

captorquewrench
03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
ok we have
Fiesta
HEB
Kroger
Randalls
Walmart neighborhood market
rice epicurean
alot of it depends on what side of town you're on. lots of local, independent, or ethnic stores around certain areas.

I prefer the Fiesta or Walmart grocery stores.

over here near the office we have things like Dynasty Supermarket, Wlcome Market, Hong Kong Village.....whicha re really fun when you feel adventurous.

jayhawkfan
03-03-2003, 09:31 AM
We have a Dillons(Kroger company) way overpriced and horrible service and a Jims Foodliner, locally owned and operated, I shop there. BUT in May our new supercenter will open and I will be shopping there.

CABANN
03-03-2003, 09:32 AM
We have;

Ralphs
Raleys
Food Source
Food 4 Less.
Safeway

I shop between Ralphs and Food Source. I like Ralphs because of the double coupons and food source because they have great prices and sales.

blueyez37811
03-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Food City
Food Lion
Sav-a-lot

Food city is my favorite!

Lora_1994
03-03-2003, 09:39 AM
we have quite a few,

Kroger
IGA
Aldi
Save-A-Lot
Wal-Mart(in the process of becoming a supercenter,they've got some freezers up and a few isle with food.)
Small's(locally owned and excellent meat)

julie_angel
03-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Stop & Shop
Shaws
and little privately owned stores.

Shancopp
03-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Kroger
Save a lot
Aldi
Five Star
In the next town...Marsh

momof4inMi
03-03-2003, 09:44 AM
We've got quite a few:

Meijer (My absolute fav)

Walmart 2nd best its not a supercenter so their good for snacks n stuff

Super K-Mart

Farmer Jack's

Kroger (way overpriced)

IGA

Sam's club

Save A Lot

captorquewrench
03-03-2003, 09:46 AM
I liked kroger a lot more before they redesigned their stores to that crazy maze, made every store a "Signature" store, and forced you to get their little card to get a fair price on anything. I hate those cards from any store (for a lot of reasons), and will not carry one. I shop at stores where you don't need them.

Nikkole
03-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Tops Markets
Quality Markets
Wegmans Markets
Aldi
Save-A-lot

They are trying to stop and prevent Super Walmart they want to open the store around two other grocery stores so now the food workers union is fighting the store and also the community..

DreamWarrior
03-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Well where I live there is no grocery store, but in the next town (10 miles away) there is Fareway, Wal-Mart Super (psycho) Center, Target Super Center, Hy-Vee(2), Aldi. I THINK thats it... LOL

Kelsey1224
03-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Ralphs (Krogers)
Vons (Safeway)
Albertsons

jayhawkfan
03-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
I liked kroger a lot more before they redesigned their stores to that crazy maze, made every store a "Signature" store, and forced you to get their little card to get a fair price on anything. I hate those cards from any store (for a lot of reasons), and will not carry one. I shop at stores where you don't need them.

EXACTLY!! I hate that. Thats why I dont shop at Dillons here. I refuse to pay there jacked up prices os they can say oh you'll save a bunch of money with our shoppers card:rolleyes: And it pisses me off that you dont get the sale if you dont have the card:mad:

miccit
03-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Out of our major groceries (there are 4) 3 of them require those darn cards! I hate them. I can't ever remember where I put them.

We have Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, Albertsons, Grocery Outlet, Sam's Club, Costco, and a few small stores.

captorquewrench
03-03-2003, 10:52 AM
you know what those cards are for? not for us. They track all our purchases with that and sell that info to consumer groups, food/bev manufacturers/distributors, etc. All it is, is for them to track what we buy and sell that info. The principle is infuriating.

I just want a good old fashioned grocery store back. You go in, you go up and down the aisle, not thrugh a maze, you pay a fair price, and the clerks are friendly. None of them are like that anymore.

jennls
03-03-2003, 10:54 AM
In the town I live is just a small store called Aldapes if you go in to Arizona there is Walamrt (supercenter), Smiths, Food City, Safeway and Albertson's.

jayhawkfan
03-03-2003, 11:06 AM
you know what those cards are for? not for us. They track all our purchases with that and sell that info to consumer groups, food/bev manufacturers/distributors, etc. All it is, is for them to track what we buy and sell that info. The principle is infuriating.

I just want a good old fashioned grocery store back. You go in, you go up and down the aisle, not thrugh a maze, you pay a fair price, and the clerks are friendly. None of them are like that anymore.

The store I shop at here is a good old fashioned one. I love it. Its small but they have what I need. My mom hates it because they dont have some of the brands she buys but me on the other hand...I buy off brands and they have plenty of those lol

captorquewrench
03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
yeah, we have those too. in the little inner loop communities that would take me an hour to get to. So i have to deal with the mega chain mentality. We had a kroger like that out here. There was nothing else around and the manager had been there for YEARS. then the area built up, and it became a signature store...it's horrible now.

kelblend
03-03-2003, 11:13 AM
We have: Marsh, Kroger, Aldi, Meijer,Dillman's, and McGee's.

I shop Marsh. McGee's is pretty old-fashioned in that they have no store card and do NOT double coupons like the others do.

Lisa03
03-03-2003, 11:38 AM
captorquewrench had mentioned those cards--you know what

I have 3 of those dang things on my key chain--Food Lion, Winn Dixie, & Harris Teeter--

wow- they are TRACKING our purchases?

It does stink that in order to get something that is 'on sale' you have to have that card

things have really changed.

I just went to Harris Teeter and got $60 worth of stuff for $12 and some change :)

Shancopp
03-03-2003, 11:42 AM
My Marsh here in IN is great...it does a have a card,
but they are cheaper than Kroger (who isn't??), they
double coupons everyday, triple often and about twice
a year, they quadruple!! They are about 1/2 hour from
me and Kroger is only 10 mins, so I usually go to Kroger, but only
with my coupons!! They were tripling this weekend and I
got $265 worth of stuff for $110!

captorquewrench
03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Lisa03
captorquewrench had mentioned those cards--you know what

wow- they are TRACKING our purchases?

It does stink that in order to get something that is 'on sale' you have to have that card

not only do they track our purchase info, they sell it!!! it stinks odiferously.

my hubby says it's like discrimination for stores to have those cards and charge two people diff amounts for the same item.

julie_angel
03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
not only do they track our purchase info, they sell it!!! it stinks odiferously.

my hubby says it's like discrimination for stores to have those cards and charge two people diff amounts for the same item.

It may not legally be discrimination, but I whole heartedly agree that is stinks. Extremely odoriferously! Every store around here, at least the major ones, have those cards. Sometimes if you don't have one, the cashier will ring in a number for you so you get the savings, but often it is like, oh well, too bad. I miss the good old days of regular sales where everyone saves, or even the coupons in the store fliers. But gone are those days. The smaller stores don't require those cards, but they are expensive. I usually go to stop and shop because I have a keychain card for there, we also have a shaw's but I don't go there because I don't have a card.

twinkiesmom
03-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Krogers
IGA
2 Meijers
SaveALot
Aldi

Next town is Sam's Club. We have Target, WalMart, KMart but they aren't the supercenters. I prolly live at Meijer the most. lol

Sweetberries
03-03-2003, 01:53 PM
U-save
publix
Albersons
sams club
cosco (sp ?)
super walmart
winn dixie
Iam pretty sure there are others just can't remember them all :) :)

Ghetto_Gurl
03-03-2003, 02:04 PM
giant eagle
foodland
shop and save
iga
sams club
walmart
that is what we have in da burgh!

sweet~n~sassy
03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
theres no store where i live, but 8 miles away there is one called Woods and they are so over priced it is ridiculous.

Mini
03-03-2003, 02:31 PM
there is NO grocery stores in my little dinky town..but in other towns we have: food city, food lion, food country, kroger, sams club, wal-mart, ingles, there might be a winn-dixie left somewhere, whites..can't think of anymore

MySonNick1
03-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by jennls
in to Arizona there is Smiths,

Where in Arizona is this at? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and these are the grocery stores we have here.

Safeway
Albertsons
Frys Food and Drug
Frys Marketplace
IGA Sunfoods
Food4Less
Food City
Grocery Outlet
Bashas
We have super Walmarts and Super Kmarts

We used to have Smith's, but not anymore.

ajksmom
03-03-2003, 02:57 PM
None exactly where I live we either have to travel 20 miles either way...
one way there is
Walmart
Kroger
Food Lion (2)
SuperKmart
Wade's (locally owned and operated)
the other way there is...
Slaughter's (locally owned and operated) but way to overpriced and nasty
Farmer's Foods (kinda like IGA), overpriced on much but meats are an excellent deal.

I usually travel and hit Walmart, Food Lion, and Wade's every Monday.

Hillbilly
03-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Kroger
Wal-Mart Supercenter
Food Giant
IGA
Aldi's
Sav-A-Lot

judyindaskyz
03-03-2003, 03:49 PM
The town I live in has Giant, Acme & Pathmark.
About 5 mins away we also have ShopRite (which is my fav since it's what I grew up with) & SaveALot. And then about 15 mins away there are also Genuardi's (expensive, lots of specialty stuff), McCafferty's (similar to Genuardi's) and Redner's (employee owned and a bit expensive, but they have great sales now & then).

I guess that's a pretty big selection of stores to choose from, but what I really wish we had is a Super Wal-Mart with the groceries. We don't though, just a regular Wal-Mart store.

gemini26
03-03-2003, 03:55 PM
We have a very small store where you can get most things but of course it costs more. Otherwise we travel 30 miles to the nearest town and there is a SuperWalMart, Albertson's, and a IGA owned store. As far as i know the only one that doubles coupons is IGA and thats only on Fridays. Really sucks! You guys are lucky that have more choices.

sweetbaby
03-03-2003, 04:33 PM
We have....
Pick'N'Save
Osco food
Rainbow
Sentry
Piggly Wiggly
Walmart supper
Sam club
Save-a-lot
Aldi

nanajoanie
03-03-2003, 05:49 PM
We have Lowe's Foods - the best. Also have Kroger, Crummy Food Lion, expensive Harris Teeter, always out of the special Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo. I used to shop at Meijer's when I lived in Michigan 35 years ago.

annie169
03-03-2003, 05:53 PM
We have Stater Bros., Vons and Pavilions, Ralphs, Albertsons and Jensens Finest Foods (family owned store) There are 3 full sized here and one minute mart, then they have one in Wrightwood, Blue Jay, and Running Springs, if you know the Big Bear area, all you SoCal skiers!! Oh, important fact>>>>>Hubby is the head meatcutter at the Palm Springs Jensens. ;)
But, I shop at Vons: Double coupons!!!

farmmnger
03-03-2003, 07:02 PM
No stores in my little bitty town. All the stores are 10-15 miles away
Safeway
Giant
FoodLion
Walmart Supercenter-where I buy groceries

I don't shop at the other stores.

peacestar
03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Well in my little town there isnt one! lol nearest town has 1 grocery store, vics. Then 30 minutes away is walmart, kmart, meijers, carters, village market, and save a lot. I shop mostly at vics, and save a lot.

moe265
03-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Well my little town has 2 locally owned stores Rubins and Foodstore. I go there for little things. We go to a town 14 miles away to HEB and Brookshire Brothers. Our Walmart Supercenter is 1 hr away :(

pwright
03-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Lowes Foods
Food Loin
Winn Dixie
Audies
Walmart supercenter

adair
03-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Raley's
Alberston's

(and 2 small Mom & Pop type stores)

bonniejeanne
03-04-2003, 08:08 AM
3 Albertsons
4 Piggly Wiggly
2 Adriens
3 super walmart
super target
super kmart (which is in the closing process)
3 Winn Dixie
2 super one
Sams

and various other mom and pop and quick shop stores.

MrsSpeed
03-04-2003, 09:06 AM
We have:
2 Price Choppers
1 Hyvee
2 Sunfresh
1 or 2 Applemarkets
And soon we'll have a Hen House :)

Nobody double coupons. :( Maybe Hen House will.

sugar206
03-04-2003, 09:17 AM
We have Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Walmart, Top Food, Grocery Outlet. I got to the ones with the best sales. So I switch around a lot. LOL

jennls
03-04-2003, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MySonNick1
[B]Where in Arizona is this at? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and these are the grocery stores we have here.

There is one in Bullhead City and Fort Mohave,Az. I live right on the border of Arizona. We need more stores! A Home Depot is coming soon hopeful other stores will follow the only two places to shop is Kmart and Walmart!

justbeachy
03-04-2003, 11:16 AM
We have:
Publix
Winn Dixie
Food LIon
Harris Teeter (They double coupons?????)
and Super Wal-Mart in the process