PDA

View Full Version : I got one of those phone calls today

mesue
03-02-2003, 01:42 AM
First it was someone wanting to give me a burglar alarm system just for letting them put a sign in my yard, I lie and tell them I already have one they say bye, bye. Then the little creep calls telling me that he is calling for the phone company doing a survey about the recent contact I had with the phone company, I've fallen for this one before, they ask if you were treated courteously, were satisfied with the service and then they ask for you to dial a number to signify that, by dialing this number you are telling the phone company that you are satisfied, what you are actually doing is dialing a number to give him permission to put a long distance call on your phone bill. I told him I know what this is its a scam and he says no mam this is not a scam and I just hang up. Anyway just wanted to alert you all to this scam that there is a number you can call and just by calling that number you are giving someone permission to put a long distance call on your bill, so whenever someone calls asking you to call a number don't do it.

mom4angels
03-02-2003, 03:21 AM
Thanks Mesue. I have tired not to answer these phone calls anymore.
Most of them come up unavailable in the caller ID. The ones I hate is when they call and you pick up the phone, and no one is there. That really is annoying. They have speed dial that is constantly dialing numbers so if their on another call when you pick their not there.

momfromTN
03-02-2003, 05:33 AM
i think the number is #90. I was reading about that one the other day.

Angelseyes28
03-02-2003, 07:01 AM
OOH I got the security alarm call not too long ago! I knew what it was all about and for once I was determined that I wasn't going to be the one to hang up this time. I told the guy I didn't have one and I didn't want one. He goes on to tell me that the system is free and all i have to pay is the monthly monitoring fee. I told him I didn't have the money. He says, "well it only averages out to about a dollar a day", so i tell him that if HE will pay the dollar a day that i would gladly let them come out and install the system, and if it would be easier for him I would let him pay the whole $30 a month, which ever he prefered;) And that I would be flexible and even accept cash, check or money order:D Long story short, the guy got so frustrated that HE actually hung up on me HA!!!! I think I will start doing that with every telemarketer, it was actually kinda fun;)

odyssey
03-02-2003, 09:33 AM
I haven't gotten that type of call.
I get the telemarketers who will call and hang up and then quickly redial back to me. I know it was then when the same number shows up on my caller id twice. MAKES ME UPSET.

Tadbit
03-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by angelseyes28
OOH I got the security alarm call not too long ago! I knew what it was all about and for once I was determined that I wasn't going to be the one to hang up this time. I told the guy I didn't have one and I didn't want one. He goes on to tell me that the system is free and all i have to pay is the monthly monitoring fee. I told him I didn't have the money. He says, "well it only averages out to about a dollar a day", so i tell him that if HE will pay the dollar a day that i would gladly let them come out and install the system, and if it would be easier for him I would let him pay the whole $30 a month, which ever he prefered;) And that I would be flexible and even accept cash, check or money order:D Long story short, the guy got so frustrated that HE actually hung up on me HA!!!! I think I will start doing that with every telemarketer, it was actually kinda fun;)

I love messing with them telemarketers, don't you? LMAO I also let my daughter mess with them if she gets the phone first. It's the only time I let her prank on the phone, but she is so good at it. I know they hate it but then I hate having my supper interupted too.

Lisa03
03-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by angelseyes28
so i tell him that if HE will pay the dollar a day that i would gladly let them come out and install the system, and if it would be easier for him I would let him pay the whole $30 a month, which ever he prefered;) And that I would be flexible and even accept cash, check or money order:D Long story short, the guy got so frustrated that HE actually hung up on me HA

OH MY!!! Now that was funny!

You go angelseyes28

I have Caller ID so I just don't answer it

I wished I had the nerve like you did!!:D

christianw27
03-04-2003, 08:22 PM
I got a phone with telezapper in it, its working!!!!

Angelseyes28
03-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lisa03
OH MY!!! Now that was funny!

You go angelseyes28

I have Caller ID so I just don't answer it

I wished I had the nerve like you did!!:D

LOL it doesn't take nerves....just a little boredom;) I was bored and he picked the wrong time to call:p

patches223344
03-08-2003, 10:57 AM
i have privicy manager on my phone they have to id themselves then my phone rings and tells me who is there an i can refuse to take their call or talk to them if i want

ttistin
03-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by patches223344
i have privicy manager on my phone they have to id themselves then my phone rings and tells me who is there an i can refuse to take their call or talk to them if i want

oh I like this thing

I have gotten more calls from all those diffrent phone companys :rolleyes: oh yea cant forget about the calls about how I am in the drawing for thousands of dollars. All I need to do is order this or that lol

I have never heard of this privicy manager thing, is it just for blocked or unknown numbers or all calls to the line?

patches223344
03-08-2003, 06:55 PM
any call that comes up on caller id as unknown or unavailable or pay phone it will cut in and ask for info
i got this through my phone comp SBC

LunaChick
03-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Yes, I have that as well. Call Intercept from Verizon. I work 3rd shift and there is no way in he|| I'm going to be woken up for that crap. I have a hard enough time sleeping as it is :rolleyes:

Azriel_LittleHawk
03-09-2003, 05:42 AM
*G*..well..i have the 3 ring tones that i got from someone at this site..the one that you get when a # is disconnected? if it's a pc it hangs up an doesn't call back..on top of that? i have caller id..and an answering machine..*G* if i dunno the # i don answer...and also with callwave internet answering machine..i have it with caller id too...so..either way..no info? no answer or callback...*G* love it!!