PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have an easy but yummy bread pudding recipe?

tntechgirl
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
my fiance loves bread pudding & I'd like to make it for him sometime..but I've never made it before in my life..and I would love
to surprise him sometime with his favorite dessert..but where to start??..does anyone have a surefire recipe that is fairly easy & super yummy? I would greatly appreciate it! :D

captorquewrench
02-27-2003, 12:37 PM
It's easy but I don't use a recipe....

All I do is use a small casserole dish (lightly buttered) and rip up 2-3 pieces of stale bread and mix with a handful of raisins, put it in the dish.

Then I beat together one egg, some milk (just enough to almost cover the bread), sugar (maybe 1/3 a cup? enough to lightly sweeten the milk) vanilla (a spalsh, maybe a tsp?), and cinnamon (just a sprinkle) and pour over the bread and bake at about 350 or 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.

So.....you might not want to try it my way since I can't tell you exactly. LOL I just wanted to tell you so you'd see how easy it really is.

lovechild
02-27-2003, 01:08 PM
i go to famous dave's LOL

I don't even like bread pudding but theirs is yummy!!

bloomingdasee
02-27-2003, 01:09 PM
lol I thought you would say that I thought of you when I read the post!! LOL

Gia
02-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Bread Pudding
A no frills bread pudding. Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 30

10 slices white bread, cut into cubes
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot milk
1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions
1 Heat oven to 375 degrees F(190 degrees C)
2 In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, melted margarine, raisins, and cinnamon; mix well, and transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
Use the same bowl to beat the eggs. Stir in sugar, vanilla, and salt until sugar is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the hot milk. Pour egg mixture over bread cubes, sprinkle with nutmeg, and set aside to soak for 5 minutes.
4 Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

captorquewrench
02-27-2003, 01:14 PM
wow gia that must be a BIG bread pudding! Maybe I should try making a big one like that??? or, for startes, halve that recipe.

tntechgirl
02-27-2003, 02:07 PM
can I use regular loaf bread or will it turn out right?

captorquewrench
02-27-2003, 02:07 PM
yes, use the bread from a loaf. a little on the stale side usually works best.

Gia
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by tntechgirl
If you don't have day-old bread~I always just Sprinkle with
cinnamon and sugar and toast in oven approx 5 min~ Cool and cut
into cubes or crumble (;)gently) into my casserole pan...always turns out fine :)

Gia
02-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
wow gia that must be a BIG bread pudding! Maybe I should try making a big one like that??? or, for startes, halve that recipe.
My grandma use to make this all the time capt and it served 8-10 ~(nice sized servings) LOL ;)

nooshu
02-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
It's easy but I don't use a recipe....

All I do is use a small casserole dish (lightly buttered) and rip up 2-3 pieces of stale bread and mix with a handful of raisins, put it in the dish.

Then I beat together one egg, some milk (just enough to almost cover the bread), sugar (maybe 1/3 a cup? enough to lightly sweeten the milk) vanilla (a spalsh, maybe a tsp?), and cinnamon (just a sprinkle) and pour over the bread and bake at about 350 or 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.

So.....you might not want to try it my way since I can't tell you exactly. LOL I just wanted to tell you so you'd see how easy it really is. LOL-Gee, you cook just like me. I don't measure anything, so it is so hard to share recipes. You did really good explaining though!!;)

~MK~
02-27-2003, 03:13 PM
oooh..I make banana bread pudding. YUMMY

Hmmm...I think I'll make some this weekend. With LOTS of caramel *drool*

captorquewrench
02-27-2003, 03:13 PM
it's bread pudding weather.

adair
02-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by tntechgirl

I have used white bread, wheat bread, raisin bread, biscuits, and even croissants. If it sits still long enough it gets used. :D :D :D :D

After I pour the egg/milk/sugar/spice mixture over the bread(s) I usually let it set for about 15 minutes so that the bread can soak up a lot of the mix; then I pour a tad more milk on it and into the oven. It makes the pudding moist as heck.

For a change of pace I will also serve it will hard sauce.

BASIC HARD SAUCE

1/4 lb Unsalted butter; softened
1/2 c Powdered sugar
1/2 ts Vanilla
-=OR=- other flavoring like
- Rum or Orange liqueur

CREAM BUTTER UNTIL VERY SOFT. Gradually add the sugar
until well whipped. Add the flavoring; chill before
serving. Makes 3/4 Cup