PDA

View Full Version : My sisters doctor told her she has 5-6 years to live.

CABANN
02-27-2003, 10:27 AM
My sister was diagnoised with Leukemia a year ago. They (doctors) said it was treatable and put her on oral medication for it. The meds made her really sick, to the point she couldn't get out of bed. They kept changing hers meds because of all the side effects she kept having. Well we just got back the results to the second bone marrow test, and the outcome doesn't look good. She is on chemo treatment, plus taking a chemo shot and interferion shot once a day. Since the treatments started she has been getting the chills so bad that the whole bed just trembles when she is lying down. She basically has given up and has herself dead.

I keep telling her to stay on the positive side. One reason her 21 year old daughter is five months pregnant (just found out, she was in denial) and will be moving home with my sister. I keep telling sis how exciting it is to have a baby in the house again, and keep pumping her up on all the excitment of preparing for the little one. But she keeps telling me that she made a pack with God when she found out about her illness, and she told God that please let her live until her first grandchild is born. So now she thinks her time is up.

I have been telling her that maybe God is giving you something to live for, a grandbaby,so think positive. I believe in the power of positive thoughts.

Well anyway, can everyone please pray for her and send positive vibes her way. Thank You

kelblend
02-27-2003, 10:35 AM
oh man ((((cabann and sis))))

schsa
02-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Never believe their estimates. They could be completely wrong and your sister might live to be very old. Plus medicine changes every day. Today's disease is tomorrow's cure. So keep postive. She might outlive you.

nooshu
02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
(((((CABANN))))))

I am so sorry. But, like you, I believe in the miracles that positive thoughts, prayers, etc have in helping . I will send many positive thoughts and hugs your sisters way. I think she can say what she wants, but a precious newborn's face could give anybody the will to live and fight. May she find that will and another miracle along the way!!;)

julie_angel
02-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by schsa
Never believe their estimates. They could be completely wrong and your sister might live to be very old. Plus medicine changes every day. Today's disease is tomorrow's cure. So keep postive. She might outlive you.

I completely agree. My grandma had colon cancer, and they caught it so late they didn't think she'd make it through the surgery, then they gave her a week, then they said maybe a month, and so on. It's been about 15 years, and she is still with us. NEVER give up hope!!!
{{{{Cabban and family)))) My thoughts and prayers and good vibes are with you all.

ieatalot
02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
my father was given 3 to 4 years to live & this was back in 1978. I wish your family the same luck that mine has had.

CarolinaBlue
02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
My prayers go out to you and your sister. I hope she also has a miracle. But, like others have said, please don't go by what doctors say about how long it will be.

CABANN
02-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and vibes.

ieatslot, I hope we have the same kind of luck your family has. The very day that I gave birth to my oldest in August 1988 my dads doctor gave him 2 years to live due to ALS (Lou Gerighs (sp?) disease). My dad past in July 1990.

MommyG3
02-27-2003, 11:35 AM
((((((((((((((((((((Cabann)))))))))))))))))))))))) I will be praying for your sister.

sunie
02-27-2003, 12:22 PM
{{{cabann & Sis}}} My thoughts and prayers will be with you guys

ttistin
02-27-2003, 02:19 PM
What if you guys got one of those heart things they use at the doc office to hear the unborn babys heartbeat. I know they have them at toys-r-us. That way your sis could hear her grandbabys heartbeat, and want to fight a little more. Maybe see about her going to the sonograms with her daughter (I know it is hard when she isnt feeling well), but make sure you get lots of pictures of that little baby for her to see. I know for me It didnt feel real until I heard the heartbeat and seen the pictures of the baby.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} My prayers go out to your sister and you.

jaybird
02-27-2003, 02:40 PM
They haven't discussed doing a bone marrow transplant? My sil had one 27 years ago, married and has 3 children. Kidzpca's dot just had one a few months ago.

CABANN
02-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by jaybird
They haven't discussed doing a bone marrow transplant? My sil had one 27 years ago, married and has 3 children. Kidzpca's dot just had one a few months ago.

I asked her about that and she is going to ask her doctor about that. I know that there are different types and she was told she has Acute Mylar Leukemia (sp?) . I have been trying to find more info on it.

I have also heard that finding a perfect match is kinda hard. My sister and I have different dads. I heard the the best chance to find a donar is from a sibling with the same parents as the patient. But something else to check into is with the umbilical cord from my nieces baby. I have a lot of research to do so I can tell my sister what questions to ask her doctors.

suziebee20
02-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Awww I'm sorry- When my mom was pregnant with me, their dog had puppys, one was born with three legs and the vet was going to put him to sleep- said it wouldn't make it past 2 weeks, it was very week and hardly eating. That dog died 2 years ago, lived to be almost 15 years old! I know it's a lot different then your sisters case, for one he was a dog, not a human being- however, you just have to have faith in the situation, and leave the rest up to God! I will keep you guys in my prayers! (((((Cabann and family)))))

Tasha405
02-27-2003, 04:48 PM
{{{{CABANN & Sister}}}}

julie_angel
02-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ttistin
What if you guys got one of those heart things they use at the doc office to hear the unborn babys heartbeat. I know they have them at toys-r-us. That way your sis could hear her grandbabys heartbeat, and want to fight a little more. Maybe see about her going to the sonograms with her daughter (I know it is hard when she isnt feeling well), but make sure you get lots of pictures of that little baby for her to see. I know for me It didnt feel real until I heard the heartbeat and seen the pictures of the baby.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} My prayers go out to your sister and you.

That is a good idea, in fact I have one of those heartbeat things, and would be glad to send it to you (no charge). If you are interested, caban, e-mail me. julie_angel1@lycos.com.

robinA
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
(((((CABANN & SISTER)))))

midniteblu2
02-27-2003, 09:31 PM
HUGS & PRAYERS