PDA

View Full Version : 2 vents...

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-26-2003, 02:05 PM
1. both my kids receive free school lunchs...when my sons school is delayed...i have to pack him a lunch (( the "special school" he attends contracts out to a loacal city school system for lunchs if the dalay is more than 1 hr...they have no time to order))...ok..here's part of this lunch vent...i pack him 1. what he WILL eat! and 2. what we HAVE!! simple an to the point...
so..the schoool in their infinite wisdom..decides to send home nasty grams to all the parents...getting on our ass's for what we send our kids for lunch..."not nutritious enough" ...

PART OF THE LUNCH VENT:
so today my son goes to school..gets lunch...*mind yes it's free for us...but not to ALL the kids some parents DO have to fork out a chunk o change on these things!! * so for lunch? my son got.."a school sized pizza, sweet carrots , pears & milk"
ok....lets look at this shall we? ok...school pizza:crust, cheese (tiny bit ) and a tsp of sauce...sweet carrots:carrots with sugar, pears in juice..and milk...so..what i see here is ...carb, carb, carb, carb& oh yeah more carb. now...dunno bout anyone else..but if we are so friggin worried bout the fact our kids are obese..why not give em some green veggies? and maybe gods forbid a bit of protein that can be seen WITHOUT the aid of a microscope?
lets not EVEn go into the "possible food allergy" connection here!

((ie son goes to a special school for kids with behavioural problems....how are these lunchs effecting our kids? besides making them drousy..and aggravated? not good for a school like this...))

and they have the nerve to get on my ass for sending..totinos pizza rolls..and celery..and a muffin? give me a cosmic break here!!

VENT # 2:... do we still have a religious content forum here..cause ...i am pretty sure it's still there..so..why all the people posting the "religious stuff" in the main forum?
READ MUCH??
whats worse are the ones that say..something completely innocent ...something folks might want..only to go to the link...and find it's religious mojo stuff...WTF?

once again READ MUCH?? geesh...here's a quarter...buy a clue!!

*grumbling*

:D ok..all done...we now return you to your regularly scheduled trauma.

Juggalette
02-26-2003, 02:26 PM
{{{ AZ }}} Hope everything get better for ya . Just go to the school and smack em upside the head !

Blackberry
02-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Azriel_LittleHawk
PART OF THE LUNCH VENT:
so today my son goes to school..gets lunch...*mind yes it's free for us...but not to ALL the kids some parents DO have to fork out a chunk o change on these things!! * so for lunch? my son got.."a school sized pizza, sweet carrots , pears & milk"
ok....lets look at this shall we? ok...school pizza:crust, cheese (tiny bit ) and a tsp of sauce...sweet carrots:carrots with sugar, pears in juice..and milk...so..what i see here is ...carb, carb, carb, carb& oh yeah more carb. now...dunno bout anyone else..but if we are so friggin worried bout the fact our kids are obese..why not give em some green veggies? and maybe gods forbid a bit of protein that can be seen WITHOUT the aid of a microscope?
lets not EVEn go into the "possible food allergy" connection here!

:D ok..all done...we now return you to your regularly scheduled trauma.

Yes! Exactly! My son also receives free meals at school, lunch and breakfast. Do you know what they serve for breakfast????? A package of little Hostess donuts! Of course I didn't find this out for a very long time because I didn't even think to check, and my son certainly wasn't going to tell me so I could ruin his tasty (pure sugar and fat) breakfasts!

sadie01
02-26-2003, 02:52 PM
I so totaly understand what you mean about the lunches!! In high school, they would get on us about what we ate, but we got it from the school snack bar line!! If y'all don't like it, don't sell it!!! But what you sent seemed fine to me! But then again, thats what i'd eat myself...LOL....
No comment on the religious stuff...I see it all the time too...
http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb003.gif

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-26-2003, 03:17 PM
ok..heres my lil trip down lunch line memory lane...when i went from jr high to sr high...the 1st month of school..all i had daily for a month was "choclat chocolate chip cookies..and chocolate milk..." after 1 month i felt like CRAP!! so..from then on? in hs? i had a chef slad & orange juice..it tasted GREAT..and i felt much better...
and further?
..WHY the hell have they got SODA DAMNED MACHINES IN SCHOOLS??? why? juice machines? i can see...milk machines...cool with them too..but SODA AN CANDY BAR MACHINES?? DUMB MUCH? Geesh!

well it got to me when i am told " you need to send more nutritious meals" when what the hell are they feeding my kid? i tell you..if i had to actualy pay the near $2 for these lunchs? my kid's'd be brown baggin it...no joke..unless it was like "mom it's pizza day tomorrow can i PLEASE buy lunch at school?" then yeah...but hell..$2 @ BK will get you more friggin protein than what the school serves!! and hell...ya get lettuce an tomato an onion if you ask for it ...so...ya get more GREEN LEAFY VEG"S TOO!! thats sad!!!

irritaing...an the school district...and realy "national fitness blah blah blahh BS~BS~BS" is all over the PARENTS cause our kids are overweight...hello??? personaly i would love to thank the republicans..for deciding that "ketchup" is a vegetable...**oh yes they did** no offense intended..just stating facts here. (( mind you..that was a while ago..so they might've reversed it..but I"VE not heard it's been reversed sooooo))
there have been numerous studies showing that the lower the income people are usualy obese...why? cause the GOOd food is more expensive... ie..i can buy a STEAK for $3 ..yet...for my family to make it through a month i might have to choose to buy 4 packs of hotdogs instead..just to make sure we have enough for the whole month...

it's REALy ridiculous!! ah well...not trying to get into a rich versus poor thing here..

it just sucks...common sense...doesn't seem to exist anymore... ie "FEED KIDS GOOD HEALTHY FOOD..THEY GROW UP WITH LESS PROBLEMS FEED EM CRAP...AND THEY ARE SICK..AND UNHEALTHY..."

grrrr!!

**STILL MIFFED ABOUT THE RELIGIOUS FREEBIES BEING IN THE WRONG FORUM TO...**

:)

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Hmmmm wonder if all the schools decided to have brain farts this week. We just started packing my sons lunch 2 weeks ago(after his teacher thought she would inform me that he hadnt been eating for 3 months but thats a whole other vent) I got a call from the school telling me that what Ive been sending is inapropriate. Today he had one of those tuna salad quick lunch things, a bag of grape and a piece of angel food cake. And apple juice for drink. They told me that since the other kids cant have juice he cant either and that the cake is considered a snack and he cant pack it anymore. I flew off the handle and told them where to stick it. The kids that eat hot lunch get dessert...hello. I told her that Im going to keep putting in it what I have been and if he tells me that they give him a hard time Im going to go eat lunch with him everyday and dare her to say anything to me. Oh yeah he's 6 by the way and all this crap is already starting...I hate it.

Sorry AZ didnt mean to butt in.

Kelsey1224
02-26-2003, 03:34 PM
BTW...The Religious Contest for is suppose to be for freebies only. It says so in the first post on the page authored by Alex.

Blackberry
02-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jayhawkfan
I got a call from the school telling me that what Ive been sending is inapropriate. Today he had one of those tuna salad quick lunch things, a bag of grape and a piece of angel food cake. And apple juice for drink.

I'm sure if you would have sent a pbj sandwich to school with him they probably wouldn't have said anything. :rolleyes: Tuna has tons of protein, grapes for fruit, angel food cake is fat free & juice?? They say no to juice? Crazy!!!

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-26-2003, 03:55 PM
"BTW...The Religious Contest for is suppose to be for freebies only. It says so in the first post on the page authored by Alex."

exactly..what i was saying...*shrugs*

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeah thats what I thought too. The lunch lady is just plain mean. She embarrasses the kids in front of their classes and is just mean. Thats what my son wouldnt eat. 3 months ago he got sick at the lunch table, hard enough for a 6yr old to deal with but she really upset him, so he was scared to eat. :(

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-26-2003, 04:02 PM
as for them telling you you can't send juice?what the hell is up with thaT? the schools seem to REALY push milk...perrsonaly..i am going more an more to soy milk in my daily useage...but there again...$2 for a gallon of milk...$3.50 for a half gallon of soy milk. what if your child has a "lactose intolerance/allergy"? what'd they say then bout the juice?

i have sent bottled water with my sons lunch..((milk gets old..boring y'know* an he loved it..
the day they got upset? i sent totinos pizza rolls..((normal serving is 6 i sent 9...as my 9 yr old is the size of a 14 yr old))..and a baggy of BBQ'd chips...** last of the month and running low on fresh veggies...normaly would've had say celery slices..and or a fruit...**
also..[please have them show you in teh schools contract/charter where preciselyt it says kids can't have juice....if they can't? *G* send it DAILY!! hell send 2 box's!!

good luck!

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 04:19 PM
lol AZ Im not planning on doing it any different. I will continue to send what I think is best. And for that matter Im going to send things that he will eat. As for the milk thing they have 2 snacks a day with milk and if they eat hot lunch they have milk there too.

momfromTN
02-26-2003, 05:19 PM
I guess I am lucky because the Head Start, where both my sons are this year, seems to have decent breakfasts and lunches. I didn't even know about breakfast until after they started school. I was already feeding them Cheerios or Kix or something. I have been at school for both meals at different times and the food looked good to me. Fruit and milk and veggies. I do not see what the big deal is with sending juice. Did they say WHY???
The only thing I cannot stand about school is that they tend to treat the parents like they are stupid.

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeah they said that since the other kids dont have a choice of juice that it was unfair. And I said that those kids have the choice to bring their lunches too.

momfromTN
02-26-2003, 05:29 PM
UNFAIR??? OMGosh! How silly!!! You know, I get really sick of this and that not being "fair" and "self esteem" classes, etc!!! It is teaching our kids that everything in life is fair, when it really isn't. I remember in school, kids bringing juice or koolaid and not one teacher said a word. How silly.

tommyjo
02-26-2003, 05:36 PM
When i was in school(hundred years ago) i got pbj sandwich, apple(or some fruit), 1 cookie(homemade) and a nickel for milk. Never bought the milk, still hate it. No chips( were not an option)No pizza(wasnt invented yet). Raised by my Gramma, so no(NO) processed foods.