PDA

View Full Version : Vasectomy...

OX_Love_OX
02-26-2003, 10:33 AM
What should I expect? As far as recovery/healing for my poor honey?

mrs.john
02-26-2003, 10:41 AM
My neighbor walked around with an ice pack for a couple of days. Maybe it depends on your threshhold for pain?

captorquewrench
02-26-2003, 10:43 AM
is he having the traditional or NSV?

the NSV is super easy. a little bruising and tenderness for a couple of days is all dahubby had. no stiches, no incisions. jsut a couple of little punctures. HE even said it was a breeze.

with the kind that is done with an incision, it's a little incision, but it still takes a little longer, maybe a day or two than the NSV for the soreness to go away. it also has a *slightly* higher risk of infection (more invasive) or side effects like Swelling and bruising can be more so than the NSV. almost everyone does the NSV now tho. you'll both be glad he got his racing stripes. ;)

captorquewrench
02-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by mrs.john
My neighbor walked around with an ice pack for a couple of days. Maybe it depends on your threshhold for pain?

it also depends on how closely you follow the docs instructions immediately afterward. overdoing it right away will cause a lotta pain and swelling is what the doc said. he said, you'll feel ok but take it easy. take it easier than you think you need to is what he said to hubby.

lovethosefreebies
02-26-2003, 10:46 AM
My husband got his on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. He said that the shot that numbs you hurts worse than the actual vasectomy. But like Mrs. John said, I really think that it depends on how well he takes pain.

Lora_1994
02-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Im trying to talk my hubby into getting this done after we have this last baby because I'm am TERRIFIED about getting cut open. When I had my youngest the dr kept talking about doing a c-section and had me all freaked out. Thankfully I went into labor on my own the day before he was going to schedule me my appt for it.

wingsfan
02-26-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure what kind hubby had but I got to watch :D He had it on Friday and was back to work on Monday...his advice is Ice, Ice and more ICE. LOL

mlathroum
02-26-2003, 11:47 AM
I say WHAT A MAN!!!!
After 2 beautiful babies and 2 miscarriages I didn't want to get pregnant again. Let alone we really couldn't afford it. I asked my hubby and he said NO ONE was touching him.
I had the Tubal done. They make a tiny slit in your belly button which heals very quickly. Had it done on Friday went to work on Monday.

odyssey
02-26-2003, 11:49 AM
you guys are so lucky to have the men do that.
my guy won't.
so sad-I wish he would.
he cringes and freaks out.
I said compare that to 2 C-SECTIONS I had I would pick that surgery in a heart beat.

Tasha405
02-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by freebiequeen1234
i don't know but keep us posted!! i want hubby to have this done!!
LOL at cab!!! :) :) :) Yeah, what she said! :)

Jolie Rouge
02-26-2003, 12:46 PM
his advice is Ice, Ice and more ICE.

actually Hubby used a bag of frozen peas, because they conform better.

Also make sure you have a couple of jock straps to support the "twins"

Hubby also had his done on a Friday afternoon and went to work on Monday.

k4mommy2
02-26-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm not trying to scare anyone, but make sure he keeps getting regular sperm checks afterward. After 4 lovely children my husband had a vasectomy, and it grew back together, I am due in July! :o

He is getting it re-done and I am also going in for a tubal after this baby. :)

kelblend
02-26-2003, 02:20 PM
MY hubby had one of those one in a million bad experiences. Go figure. Can we win the lottery with one in a million--NOT!! Anyhoo, his was pretty bad. Most of his buddies had an easy time of it though.

cpbaby
02-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Theres a doctor here in town that has a 20% failure rate for vasectomies. I REFUSE to let my husband SPEAK to this man!

HE went to an urologist and we had the appointment and EVERYTHING, and BOOM, he breaks his knee and they wont do this while he is on crutches. By the time he gets off crutches he has been off work for 4 months and cant afford to take any more time off. I wish hed go on and get it DONE!

As for how it will afect your DH, my daddy had it done 22 yrs ago. He had sex the night before, then the morning before his appoinment(in case it never worked again), went and had the procedure, came home, took a nap, woke up, had sex AGAIN(just to make sure it worked), took a load of beans off inthe grain truck to the grain elevator 50 miles away, came home, fed cows, sat around, went to bed, had sex AGAIN(just in case the other time was a fluke), and got up and went to work the next day. He is looked upon as something of a HERO to the women of my family and the men dont know what to think. Everytime one of the females mention a vasectomy, the men cringe, and the women bring up how well my daddy did. So, many many men have had it done. Im justnot sure if theyve all had as good of luck with it as he did.

MommyG3
02-26-2003, 02:25 PM
I am so glad all you women have a real man that will do that for you. DH will have one after the fourth baby (which we hope will begin to form in Sept of this year). Vacetomies are great for the men. My dad had one when I was about 7. He was already in the hospital. It makes a man easier going. Can hardly wait till next year.

cpbaby
02-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by MommyG3
It makes a man easier going.

Honest and TRUE???????

Oh boy, Ned, LOOK OUT!!!!

ladybugbhb
02-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by lovethosefreebies
He said that the shot that numbs you hurts worse than the actual vasectomy.

but be careful.....MAKE HIM GO BACK TO BE "CHECKED"!!!!!
my hubbies was done 4 months ago and he stil has "swimmers"lol. so, he has to keep going back to be checked until the pool is empty. :)

stresseater
02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
I wish my old man would have done it. Instead I got to do the IUD because anastesia doesnt work right on me and I can't take the pills they mess me up. So now I have hellatious cramping and extremely heavy bleeding each month.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OX_Love_OX
02-26-2003, 09:27 PM
WOW...You guys are great...I read every story and reply. Very helpful. I'm a lot more at ease now :) He just had his first appointment...will be getting it "done" next month and has taken 2 weeks off. He does have a high thresh hold when it comes to pain but knowing my baby...he will milk this for all its worth...lol.

jadegentle
02-26-2003, 10:43 PM
I am going to have the tubal ligation soon, hubby offered to get a vasectomy, but I could just see the fear in his eyes, lmao!! I just appreciated the offer, he asked me repeatedly, "are you sure? I'll do it if you want me too." what a hubby!

bruiser
02-26-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm not trying to scare anyone, but make sure he keeps getting regular sperm checks afterward. After 4 lovely children my husband had a vasectomy, and it grew back together, I am due in July!
Not to scare anyone FURHTER, but I had my tubes tied in August 2000...well my 3rd (and very unexpected)child is now 9 months old. Getting mine RE tied next Friday.. Very rare for tubals/vasectomies to fail, but it happens:eek:

OX_Love_OX
04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately...Our doctor broke his hand and had to reschedule:eek: BUT...Today was the big day...He had his vasectomy and is JUST FINE :) A little sore, ice packed, and well drugged. I went with him but didn't watch...waited in the waiting room. Afterwards they called me back, Doc said just have him take it easy a few days, and BE SURE to come back in a few months with a...hmmm...sample to make sure the swimmers are gone. I was listening intently to the doc...when my husband says "LOOK!" and holds in my face a small lidded jar with the teeny (but gross looking) piece that was removed. Aren't husbands special:eek:

mesue
04-11-2003, 12:04 AM
I applaud any man who would do this mine would not and I had to have my tubes tied which is a major surgery compared to a vasectomy and plus there are a lot of side effects from getting ones tubes tied. But anyway wanted to share brother-in laws funny story abot his vasectomy while he was at the drs office having his done his wife had an appointment too afterwards she came back to pick him up, he said she was mad and would not speak to him but because she was mad she was driving a little fast and hitting every pothole in the road, they lived on a dirt road finally while he is terrible pain from all the pothole hits she says through clenched teeth, "You should have had this sooner I'm pregnant!" and then she looked at him with a vicious grin and said, "Theres lots more potholes to hit between here and home and sob I'm gonna hit everyone of them." Anyway the poor man recovered and their last child is currently in her twenties