PDA

View Full Version : Get A Ticket for Warming Up Your Car?!

bruiser
02-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I saw this on the news the other night. In Tacoma, Wa they are issuing warnings (will start issuing tickets tomorrow) if you have your car running and are not in it. I guess there was 56 or so cars stolen in Tacoma last month. I can understand the logic somewhat... Car running, keys in it, you inside getting ready for work. Very easy to get car stolen. But, I really think ticketing people is going too far! It is the car owners risk to take, is it not?
I also saw on the news tonight an officer going up to people saying "Is this your car? Well, you get a warning this time, but next time a ticket..Here is a pamphlet on how to prevent car theft." etc..People looked irritated to say the least...
Am I the only one who thinks this is outrageous??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Schram Commentary: Stupid Laws To Protect Stupid People

February 25, 2003

By Ken Schram

SEATTLE - Let's see if I've got this straight.

Tacoma police are going after car thieves, by giving car owners tickets!

Isn't that special.

Here's the scenario:

Cold morning. You go out, start up your car and then retreat back to your cozy living room while it warms up.

Tacoma P.D. says that's just an open invitation for some thief to hop in and simply drive off.

So, to cure people of their own stupidity, police hope to beat the thief to the scene, and tuck an $86 ticket under someone's unstolen windshield wiper.

Punishment for not having your car stolen.

And lest you think that only those living in Tacoma are ticket bait, think again.

Any police department can write up the same citation.

You're OK if the car's warming up in your driveway, but if it's parked in front of your house on the street, uh-oh.

Taking this to its illogical conclusion, we should soon expect laws that penalize us for allowing our library cars to fall into the wrong hands, or for leaving our bank receipts intact at the ATM.

That's our world today: $86 tickets for NOT having our car stolen.

Hell, I know of car thieves who got off easier than that.

All I can say is that if we're going to have stupid laws written to protect stupid people, there are folks in the Legislature up to the task.

Xica
02-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Oh please!! So in a way they're 'punishing' the owners for the behavior of potential thieves?! GMAB!!

tommyjo
02-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Actually, JMUO, but think they will soon start ticketing for "running" a car just so people wont be wasting gasoline? Yes it is a hazard if you live in a large city, to start your car to melt the ice from the windows. But is gonna be a bigger problem when gas becomes "scarce" as they said it was back in the seventies, when you could only buy it on certain days, according to your license numbers.

odyssey
02-25-2003, 11:38 PM
I agree with this oddly enough.
I used to live in another city, my apartment was infront of carports and next to the street. never had loud noise problems except in winter months when people ran out early in the morning to start their engines and they let it run for 10 mins, some even 20 mins. that was so annoying. or late at night too. just wanted to strangle the neighbors leaving the BMW out there.

I think starting your car and leaving it is WRONG. theives take it, crime rate raises, police have to search and take the time for negligant people. An with my insurance if my car is stolen but I left the keys in it running, I doubt I would be covered.???
Leaving a car running is dangerous.
I agree with the tickets.

mesue
02-26-2003, 12:38 AM
Gosh you gotta love this kind of logic, lets see they give tickets for warming up your car so to stop your leaving the car vacant while running they are going to give the owner a ticket to help prevent his car from getting stolen, what if he has 2 sets of keys and has the doors locked. Whats next, oh I know anyone out walking the street after a certain hour should get a ticket this will help keep people off the streets and thus prevent a potential crime from taking place or why not give every person who might have to park in an unlit area a ticket, thus this might prevent a potential crime. Old people who walk slow should receive a ticket they are looking like a potential crime victim. Women who carry their shoulderbags loosely on their shoulders should get a ticket after all they are presenting themselves as an easy target. All people who do not carry mace, pepper spray, a knife or a gun for self defense should be given a ticket for not having something to defend themselves thus setting themselves up as potential crime victims. Anyone from 1year -120years of age should get a ticket if they don't know karate or judo thus leaving themselves wide open for a potential crime. I say throw the book at em. Aw heck with this kind of logic why don't they just make us each appear in court on birthday to pay a ticket for being born thus setting ourselves up to become a potential crime victim

Blackberry
02-26-2003, 03:44 AM
I'm in agreement with the ticketing---as long as they are only given to people who leave their cars running with the keys in and the doors unlocked. This is just begging for your car to get stolen. And if it is stolen, it is not just you who are effected. The police have to take time away from other business to take your report & if they find it, all of the stuff that goes along with getting it back to you. The police have better things to do.

Also, if your car gets stolen and you have auto insurance you are costing your insurance company money which will in turn help rates to go up for me and whoever else has insurance through your company.

It is sad that common sense has to be forced on so many people who don't seem to have their own.

CarolinaBlue
02-26-2003, 03:55 AM
They have this law where I live too. I still warm up my car before I go somewhere. My car is old and doesn't run so well if it is cold.

CarolinaBlue
02-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Whoa! In "crime city" where I live, if you left your car running outside a store, it would be gone in 2 seconds.

I am guilty of leaving mine running at my own house, but it is in the carport, and about 5' from my backdoor.

Juggalette
02-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Glad they are not doing this where I am I would raise some serious schit! I warm my truck up for 10-15 mintues every morning while I get the kids buddled for school . For on I lock my doors , I have an a seperator on my keychain so I can leave it run and take the key that unlocks it inside with me . Next I will not make my kids go out and sit in that cold truck with me for 10-15 minutes while it warms and I will not leave them inside alone . I have to let it warm up not just so it will be all warm and toasty inside but also because it has something going on with it right now , that if it is not good and warm , she does not run well . :rolleyes:

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 06:47 AM
They do this here too and we're a population of 7000. I dont think theyve ever given the reason though. I do it all the time. I have 2 young kids and Im not going to have them sitting in a cold car waiting to warm up. I havent got a ticket yet but I would have if the cop that stopped by wouldnt have had to go chase a speeder.

captorquewrench
02-26-2003, 07:09 AM
FYI.....it is illegal (at least here in TX) to leave your car running & unattended. It is dangerous to leave your car running.......it could slip out of gear, or the park brake could fail and cause a lot of damage. A small child could get in it and cause some damage, or get CO poisoning or pass out and cause yet more damage and get hurt and hurt others. And, of course, it could be stolen. Leaving your car running without you is something that we don't think of as dangerous, but it really is.

freebiegrl22
02-26-2003, 08:20 AM
What if your car is locked while it is running? I do this on some occasions b/c I have two sets of keys...

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 08:42 AM
They still say its illegal. A few years back theres was a big to-do about the automatic car starters. The ones where you push a button on you keyring and it starts you car. And people were getting ticketed right and left on that one.

freebiegrl22
02-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow, I don't know what I would do...I can definitely see the reasoning, but I don't like someone telling me when I can start my car...If your car slips out of gear just by starting it, its time someone got a new car....

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 08:51 AM
I was just reading through the other posts and I guess I have no common sense because I leave my car running while Im not in it. Thanks for pointing that out 13ducks :rolleyes:

bruiser
02-26-2003, 09:06 AM
When the news was showing the cop walking around talking to people whose cars were runnung, there was one where he said "Oh, well he locked his", but still gave him a warning when he came back out to it.
I live in an area where I feel safe warming mine up in my driveway. I have a 90 Taurus and you can pull the keys out after you start it and it stays running :rolleyes: ..So, when I used to work till 7 am, I would go start it and take the keys out and lock it so it could warm up before I left work, but at home I dont bother locking it.
I have to warm mine up BEFORE getting in it. It wont stay running if I dont warm it up and try to reverse out of the driveway and I cant sit in it while it does because I have 3 kids including a 9 month old that i cant leave inside alone for 15 minutes while it warms up. Also, I cant take them out to the car when it isnt warm as it is about 20 degrees in the mornings right now..
I agree with some points, but that is what the police are there for. If they can take the time to ticket people for having a running car, IMO they have plenty of time to take a report (which is about all they really do) if a car gets stolen. As far as insurance companies, they should (and some may already) have a rule that if your car is stolen while the keys are in it, it isnt covered. Then it is on the shoulders of the car owner.
I bet car thieves seeing this story and others like it are really amused by this law. Costing innocent people money and they still are going to steal as many cars as they want.:rolleyes:

sunnydazed
02-26-2003, 09:21 AM
I noticed on the news yesterday they were ticketing people whose cars were running on the street, but I didn't see them ticket anyone that had their car warming up in their driveway. Wonder if they can still ticket if it is on your private property vs. the public street?

bruiser
02-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Wonder if they can still ticket if it is on your private property vs. the public street?
I beleive it is ok (at least in the Tacoma law) to have it running in your driveway, but not if your car is on the street. Which makes it all the more ridiculous..We are talking about prolly 10 feet of difference for most people. If a car thief is watching, they will run up and jump in your car the second you go in your house--whether it is in the driveway OR street.

CarolinaBlue
02-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Here, they will ticket you even it is warming up in your own driveway. I live in a big city and they say the reason for the law is all of the car thefts that go on. But still; like I said, my car won't run worth a darn if I don't warm it up first.

Willow
02-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 13ducks
I'm in agreement with the ticketing---as long as they are only given to people who leave their cars running with the keys in and the doors unlocked. This is just begging for your car to get stolen. And if it is stolen, it is not just you who are effected. The police have to take time away from other business to take your report & if they find it, all of the stuff that goes along with getting it back to you. The police have better things to do.

Also, if your car gets stolen and you have auto insurance you are costing your insurance company money which will in turn help rates to go up for me and whoever else has insurance through your company.

It is sad that common sense has to be forced on so many people who don't seem to have their own.

I agree. A lot of things could happen by leaving a running car unattended even if the doors are locked. It may be a litte uncomfortable sitting in a cold car waiting for it to heat up but it's better to be safe than sorry.

moogle
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Lets see - what's next? Tickets for not locking you front
door on your house? For leaving a window in you apartment
open? Or how about for leaving a top down on a convertible???
Or for leaving a window down on your car.....

Maybe the police should go through parking lots and check car
doors to see if they are locked, ticketing the ones that aren't
of course! Because a car is easier to steal if it isn't locked.

Blackberry
02-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jayhawkfan
I was just reading through the other posts and I guess I have no common sense because I leave my car running while Im not in it. Thanks for pointing that out 13ducks :rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot to add that it is just my own humble opinion, but I stand by it. If you leave your car running with the keys inside and the doors unlocked.......what do you expect?

momfromTN
02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
I think the police could have better things to do than to ticket people who warm up their cars in the morning. And I do not believe gas is scarce either. I think that the gas station owners are greedy. JMHO. When 9/11 happened, one guy in Indiana put his gas up to $5 a gallon. I am not kidding. IMO, he should have been fined for it, but there is no law in Indiana for doing that. In FL, if you price gouge during an emergency like a hurricane, you can be fined.

MistyWolf
02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
It is illegal here too. A few years back I pulled up to an ATM that was in a shopping plaza .. left my car running and got out to make a quick withdrawal. The car behind me decided to do the same thing. When we turned around, there was a motorcycle cop and he told us that is a $50 ticket but he gave us a warning. He said if a thief was to steal our car and get into an accident and kill someone or himself, either the victims family or his family could sue ME since I enabled him to steal my car by leaving it running.

Now I warm my car up every morning in my driveway (we have a fenced in yard) and I will continue to do so .. I am not making my two kids sit in a freezing cold car while it warms up.

The way I look at it .. if they want my car they are going to take it with or without the keys!

MommyG3
02-27-2003, 11:52 AM
I crank my car 5 minutes before we load up every morning. I learned to do this from my father. YOU NEVER CRANK YOUR CAR AN TAKE OFF. This, in cold weather, can cause your radiator to crack...EVEN WITH ANTIFREEZE!!! Now, with that said, I live in a small town and have a baby and I am not about to let my child get into a cold car in the morning. If I lived in a big city, I would probably have my oldest child go out and crank the car or lock the doors.