PDA

View Full Version : any one ever paint their cabinets?

ladybugbhb
02-24-2003, 07:50 AM
i have the standard 1980's cabinets and i can not afford to replace them, so we thought we might paint them. any tips? any stories? tia
bev

cpbaby
02-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Take the doors and all hardware off, either sand them lightly or wash them with TSP or "NO SAND", paint them with a coat of KILZ to hide any marks that wont come off, and then give them two coats of whatever paint you like. Let dry a couple of days and rehang.

OH, BTW, mark the doors as you take them down or you may have problems when you go to rehang them.

blondeairhead
02-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I painted mine one time. Kinda same situation as yours, couldn't replace them, so painted them. I sanded, primed, painted, waited on them to dry then used stencils on them to match my kitchen. Turned out great and got alot of compliments on my kitchen. Good luck!;)

adair
02-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by blondeairhead
I painted mine one time. Kinda same situation as yours, couldn't replace them, so painted them. I sanded, primed, painted, waited on them to dry then used stencils on them to match my kitchen. Turned out great and got alot of compliments on my kitchen. Good luck!;)

wow, never thought about stenciling....will have to remember that. Thanks for the idea :)

unicorn9149
02-24-2003, 09:41 AM
I did a laundry room and bathroom. I like the way they turned out. Now I have to get up the ambition and paint to do my kitchen.

sheenajungle
02-24-2003, 10:48 AM
I just painted mine this weekend as a matter of fact!

I just washed them down did a coat of latex primer and 3 coats of satin latex paint!

unicorn9149
02-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
We painted the cabinets in our kitchen and they look great. I would love to stencil a hummingbird on the doors of them, but I haven't been able to find a stencil of one here. Would a glass etching stencil work? If so check out www.etchworld.com I checked and found some hummingbird stencils.