PDA

View Full Version : Great White to continue their tour even though 97 people are dead?

Lisa03
02-24-2003, 07:28 AM
I just heard about this on the radio. They are trying to replace their dead guitarist and continuing on their tour?

I think it is wrong. I mean 97 people died. Have some respect:(

jayhawkfan
02-24-2003, 07:47 AM
Thats odd I just heard that they were cancelling it.

Lisa03
02-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Maybe my radio station is behind on the news or something but that is just what they said. I forgot where they said they were reading from. I hope they did cancel it. I'll keep listening.

Thank you jayhawkfan-

jayhawkfan
02-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Or maybe its my station lol. These days theres no way of knowing whats the truth and whats a rumor. I hope they cancel it.

BeesKnees
02-24-2003, 08:35 AM
They were supposed to play here in Madison, WI this Thursday and that one is cancelled, although I am pretty sure that was the nightclubs doing.

Lisa03
02-24-2003, 08:53 AM
thanks BeesKnees- maybe someone will know for sure if the whole tour has been cancelled or not

odyssey
02-24-2003, 09:33 AM
they BETTER cancel it. THey are in trouble. from all the stuff I read and saw on dateline and the news they were not supposed to have pyrotechnics at the concert. THEY are in serious trouble causing death and injury to all the concert goers. so very tragic.

DBackFan
02-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Besides that.........I watched video of a band playing there (The Station) just the week or so before and they ALSO used pyrotechnics sooooo I think there is more to the story than what the clubowners are saying. Blame lays all around. It was a tragic mistake on BOTH the band and the club owners and managers. :(

Also I believe it was the guitar player that persished not the drummer.

schsa
02-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Regardless, they are under contract to play certain avenues. It may be that they have cancelled some dates because they need to replace a guitarist but once that's done,they'll probably go back on tour. The fire is going to be controversial with alot of finger pointing. And in the end it doesn't matter who was at fault. People died and they cannot be replaced.

jaybird
02-24-2003, 11:12 AM
That is absolutely thoughtless and the most callous thing I've ever heard. It just proves that Great White is in this totally for the money, not for the love of music. They are showing NO compassion whatsoever.

jaybird
02-24-2003, 01:51 PM
They're going to be sued anyway. I can't imagine any venues still wanting to bring them in with all the bad publicity going on.

ckerr4
02-24-2003, 05:36 PM
With almost 100 people dead, countless lawsuits, and the fact the their career is never going to be revived, I hope they have enough sense to tell any club that would try to force them to play out a contract to take it up with their lawyers. I can't imagine many people want to see them play now, their fault or not

Shancopp
02-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Just announced that the guitarist Ty Longley was added to the list of those who perished...What a horrible tragedy this was...

Nikkole
02-24-2003, 06:56 PM
His girlfriend was expecting their child he was supposed to be moving in with her I saw her on tv it was so sad she said not only was I his girlfriend but companion and mother of his child..

Ladytiger
02-24-2003, 07:03 PM
They were supposed to play here in Indy and cancelled.:(

julie_angel
02-24-2003, 07:48 PM
I was going to reply but I think I'd better shut up before I get kicked out

**biting my tongue**

Edited to add: Maybe tomorrow, after attending the wake of one of three of my friends that died (and I won't know how many more until the complete list of names comes out) I will be more in the mood to discuss this crap

okie
02-24-2003, 08:23 PM
They are supposed to come here and last i heard it hadn't been canceled but i think some people are protesting them coming here.

freebema
02-24-2003, 11:06 PM
JMO---But Great white was washed up in the late 80's! They were a lousey 80's band at that! They sucked why else would they be playing in bars and nightclubs! Whoever is at fault lots of lives were lost and both the band and the night club will pay big time on this one! With this and the night club fight turned deadly makes me not wanna go to the Tim Mcgraw concert next month ! For fear of large amounts of people in a confined place! SCAREY!

mesue
02-25-2003, 04:02 AM
From what I heard watching the news the anchors were talking to a man who was in a managemaent position of some sort he said yes they had, had band there before who had pyrotechnics displays during the show but kept insisting that the band had not cleared it with anyone first, he said in the past they had bands who had people whose only job was to setup the pyrotechnics and that these people were licensed to do so, and that all such things were to be cleared through the club management but kept saying that it had not been cleared with them. As someone else said its turned into a they said this and the other side saying no they said that, Its so sad that all those lives were lost, my kids goes to concerts all the time and I always worry about all kinds of things but something like this kind of horror never crossed my mind. As for whose at fault though it matters in many ways one very important way is to examine this and what happened in hopes that ways can be found to prevent it from ever happening again. As for the band continuing on tour they probably don't have a choice, not only are they going to be sued over this but they are also going to be sued if they don't show up for their tour dates not to mention they are going to need every dime they get to pay lawyers.

jademyst13
02-25-2003, 05:44 AM
I think it is very possible that all the clubs will cancel the shows whether the band does or not. We may never know who really said what, but if your building isn't approved for pyrotechnics than when you see someone set them up or know they just used them a week ago (according to DBackFan) then you tell them no, no way take that stuff out of here. Shouldn't the club have paperwork if they were oked for pyrotechnics and shouldn't the band have a contract stating what they are doing that has been oked by the club?

belcherpi
02-25-2003, 06:09 AM
I think all the finger pointing that the people involved are doing is sad. The band was suppose to play here in Northern VA the night after this incident but it was cancelled due to this terrible accident. The club owner in Virginia said the band had played there something like 15 times before and that they always asked about pyrotechnics. I think there are more to blame than just the band. I think the club owners (who aren't currently cooperating with police, according to the news) are just as much to blame. They should have had some clue as to what was going on in their club. I mean, am I responsible for things that go on in my house? I am personally not a Great White fan, never have never will, but I don't think they are the only ones that the fingers should be pointed at.

Nikkole
02-25-2003, 06:10 AM
They have video footage of a band that played there before Great White using pyrotechnics including the band saying they where allowed to do so.
I just heard on the news that the list of missing is more then the people they found or that are in the hospital.

jayhawkfan
02-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Im getting so tired of people saying "Someones going to pay dearly for this" and other such things when in reality someone has already paid dearly....at least 97 people paid with their lives. Not to mentions the physically hurt and more yet the emotionally hurt.

Passing the blame.....I just hate that and I would really like to know who "THEY" are cause people are throwing that around like no other.

~MK~
02-25-2003, 07:32 AM
One of my friends here owns one of those rock n roll club bars. Great White played here and I saw them. In fact I met all of them. They asked Robbie if they could use the pyrotechnics and he said NO and that was the end of it.

julie_angel
02-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jayhawkfan
Im getting so tired of people saying "Someones going to pay dearly for this" and other such things when in reality someone has already paid dearly....at least 97 people paid with their lives. Not to mentions the physically hurt and more yet the emotionally hurt.

Passing the blame.....I just hate that and I would really like to know who "THEY" are cause people are throwing that around like no other.

I just want to say that you are so right. When something bad happens though, that is the first thing you do; you look for who is responsible. As for me, I am so hurt by this. And when I am hurt, it just turns to anger and of course I want to blame someone. These people can play pass the blame all they want, it won't bring the friends I had die that horrible horrible death back. If it would bring them back, I'd say hang them all. But it just won't.

jayhawkfan
02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Please dont think Im saying that no one should be held responsible. I think its fine to search for whos responsibe its just that most people arent looking everywhere, its focused on one element. I pray that ALL parties involved are punished. I cant imagine what you all are going through right now. I can just give you {{{hugs}}} and keep praying for you.

Hillbilly
02-25-2003, 01:14 PM
This whole thing is just a tragedy.I have to disagree with you though freebema.Great White did not suck.I love their music.Alot of 80's bands play clubs nowdays.I know one thing,whoever is responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent,be it GW or the club owners.I find it odd that the Attorney General says the club owners are not being cooperative.I saw the videos of a KISS cover band performing at the club and also another band,they both used pyros.So,if the club has no permit for using pyros,why did they let those bands use them? Then we have GW in the other corner.There was one club to come out and say that GW used pyros at their club without asking,and then there are several clubs where GW has played,to say they did ask. So who is to blame? I tend to lean towards the club,although I might be wrong.As I said,it is a senseless tragedy that should have never happened.I pray for those that perished. It is VERY,VERY sad.:(

odyssey
02-25-2003, 01:22 PM
it never should of happened your right Hillbilly.
several fire exthinguster (sp) should have been in place with crew, people ready incase of diaster.
I understand the building was 60 years old and made with paneling that was not fire protected.
permission or not- Great White and the club should of and could of prevented the tragic loss of 97 lives.

freebema
02-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Hillbilly I stated @ the begining of my post it was JUST MY OPINION!
I saw them in the 80's and yep I thought they sucked(looking back all 80's music kinda did)but if u grew up then thats all u had to listen to! In this case all that really matters is loss of life and loved ones. Does not matter who the band was. Unfortunatly this could happen anywhere at anytime when there are lots of people in confined places.

andreame70
02-26-2003, 03:05 AM
I just saw on TV this morning that the band is scheduled to go in front of the Grand Jury today. God Bless all the injured and the friends and families that are suffering from the loss of their loved ones.

Andrea

Shancopp
02-26-2003, 07:27 AM
I read yesterday, that the band is NOT finishing the tour. Then, how could they after all of this? Prayers to the families of the victims...

moogle
02-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem totally illogical
to use pyrotechnics inside???? Do some people just
not think???
I just couldn't believe that anyone was ignorant enough
to do it!!!

Just my opinion!

Lisa03
02-26-2003, 01:54 PM
This is a letter from Ty's girlfriend that was posted on Ty's website:

Why My Ty?
It's weird to do this page. Ty used to update this page or tell me what to write. I can't help but to think so many things. I KNOW Ty could've made it out of there. He ran 5-7 miles a day in less than 1 hour ALWAYS. He jumped off the stage I believe to get the people out. Why he didn't or someone direct them to the back door too? Why couldn't he be selfish JUST THIS ONCE and go out the side door? I can only cry when I think of those 96 victims and that the 97th is MY TY GUY! The love Ty showed me can not be explained in words. I can tell you he LIVED for that stage and his fans. He always wanted to travel and wanted to be a dad and soon a husband BUT still tour. I understood and we agreed although it broke our hearts to be apart. We always saw each other twice a month until I got pregnat. Ty was scared to let ANYTHING happen to myself or that baby. I want so bad for that ****ty club THE Station to have NEVER had such a huge turn out. I want so bad to say so much but I know Ty is holding me back. I wanted so bad for none of those victims to have showed up that night. I am so glad that they wanted to see the guys that night though. Ty lived for that stage and those wonderful fans. I couldn't give up hope while in Rhode Island though. I went to Kent hospital looking for Ty and we called every hospital in the yellow pages and then some in Boston and New England that weren't listed in the Yellow pages in Rhode Island. Even when they came to my hotel room door to tell me I thought OH GOD they found Ty in the hospital! It just wasn't true. Ty was now my very special angel. I know I will never have love like Ty ever. I know the love for our baby will be different but STRONG. I am looking into perhaps a spiritual wedding with Ty. Afterall we were much more than "death do us part" anyway. Ty will forever be my partner in life and beyond and I will have to wait until we wed in Heaven. Thank you all for the emails. I have tried to answer all as Ty used to. I can only pray you all stay loving Ty and remebering Ty and PLEASE never take one second for granted. We are planning some memorials for Ty. He is to have a service in a few days in his home town Sharon, PA. Everyone is invited and I will post the information as it is confirmed from his parents. We are also planning something in Los Angeles Ty's current home and all proceeds would go to BABY LONGLEY. In case our baby wants college or anything as I am now a single mother. At least here on earth. Ty is and will always be the LOVE OF MY LIFE. I will maintain this site as long as possible to keep his spirit live within you all and to keep you informed. I want my child to know all about Ty and his wonderful life and love for music and you his fans.
I love you all!
Thank you so much on behave of myself, Heidi,Ty, and Baby Longley
Sorry for my random thoughts but I am out of my mind right now... I know you all understand.

Azriel_LittleHawk
02-26-2003, 02:55 PM
s'far as i am concerned..i beleive the club owners have the ultimate responsibility...as there is known footage of OTHER bands that used pyro-whatchamadooflicky stuff...this could've happened to ANY band...damned sorry it happened to GW...they were pretty decent..and yes..i like the "hair bands" . as for the folks who died there? man..i feel so badly for their families!!!

i think it sucks that teh band is catching the brunt of this BS!! witch hunt anyone?
seriously...i think the club owners ought to be nailed on this one.

IMHO!!

jayhawkfan
02-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by moogle
Is it just me, or does it seem totally illogical
to use pyrotechnics inside???? Do some people just
not think???
I just couldn't believe that anyone was ignorant enough
to do it!!!

Just my opinion!

I have been to countless concerts in big arenas to small clubs. And the majority of them used pyro. I think its very cool. You just have to be smart enough to know when to use it and when its unsafe.