PDA

View Full Version : Spyware and computer guy?

mesue
02-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Recently I called my server tech to ask if they had any programs on their end to stop spyware from getting through since my zone alarm was popping up constantly and even with that the adaware was sometimes between 2-9 getting through sometimes. This guy told me that there was no such thing as a spyware program coming through and installing it self on your computer, he said the only way it could get on there is for you to download it with a program or software you bought. At that point in time I informed him that zone alarm and adaware was showing them and I had not downloaded anything or installed any software. He said what I was blocking was static on my phonelines nothing more. At any rate rather than argue I just got off the phone since he was determined there is no such thing as spyware, and never ever answered my question about whether they had programs they had at their end to help protect their users. OK computer literate people is this guy correct or not?

annie169
02-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Go to www.komando.com and Kim will tell you EVERYTHING about spyware, etc. I get her weekly e-letter and read it FAITHFULLY!! She will let you know some tricks, etc. to help with it.
I just did a search and she has 15 links about spyware under her search function.

Quaker_Parrots
02-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Spybot is a great spyware detector (better than ad-aware) and yes, you can get spyware on your PC by just visiting a website, you don't have to download anything (double click is the one I get most) Your dude is full of bologna. I have heard that Zone Alarm throws up false positives, but I think it protect better than Sygate(they were letting everybody and their dog in, but that is another story)

mesue
02-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks I knew I was right but just didn't have enough knowledge to argue with the tech about it, but even if I had he was the type that would have never have admitted it, it was clear to me that he thought he knew far more than he did.