PDA

View Full Version : The teen girl who was put through two heart-lung transplants has died

Mini
02-22-2003, 06:20 PM
read the story here (http://www.msnbc.com/news/874197.asp?0NI=-33&ta=y)

suziebee20
02-22-2003, 06:29 PM
I heard about that, a few minutes after she was taken of life support. My heart goes out to their family- I don't care if they were illigaly here and what not, it's still awful their was a mistake, and she lost her life.

socks1211
02-22-2003, 06:29 PM
i saw that on the news it is so sad

BeanieLuvR
02-22-2003, 06:32 PM
:(:(:(:( How sad. I`m praying for her family.

DRSGRL90
02-22-2003, 06:51 PM
i heard earlier today that she had brain damage but i wished she was still gonna come out of it fine, that is so sad my sympathy goes out to all in her family

momfromTN
02-22-2003, 07:43 PM
The illegal part and getting the free medical care when I cannot afford proper medical treatment makes me mad, BUT BUT BUT, before anyone slams me, I will say I am sorry she suffered like she did and died. NO ONE should have to go through that.

scifiwoman
02-22-2003, 08:10 PM
It was partly the medical personels fault too. They gave her the wrong organs the first time :(. Poor thing.

stresseater
02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
I totally agree with you momfromTN. It is sad that her family has to go thru this.

babystar0729
02-22-2003, 11:16 PM
I really dont see anything wrong with her getting " FREE medical care" specially when a young person has LOST her life beacuse of a dr that was not even smart enough to READ a label that said the blood type!! Oh, and lets not forget the heartbroken parents that have been treated like dirt and have been lied to from day 1 .... OH and by the way, it was not all "FREE" medical care, they did lots of fundraisers too.
I cannot believe the things I have read here!!! I think my taxes have paid for worse things..

I TRULLY feel bad about what happened and never xpected to hear that she died :( I think this family has gone through unecesary pain :(

sunie
02-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by babystar0729
I really dont see anything wrong with her getting " FREE medical care" specially when a young person has LOST her life beacuse of a dr that was not even smart enough to READ a label that said the blood type!! Oh, and lets not forget the heartbroken parents that have been treated like dirt and have been lied to from day 1 .... OH and by the way, it was not all "FREE" medical care, they did lots of fundraisers too.
I cannot believe the things I have read here!!! I think my taxes have paid for worse things..

I TRULLY feel bad about what happened and never xpected to hear that she died :( I think this family has gone through unecesary pain :(

I totally agree, and it really doesn't matter to me where she came from or how, the fact is a 17 yr. old girl who should have had her whole life in front of her is now dead because of a stupid avoidable mistake. IMO a lot of hospitals and doctors are getting sloppy (and good at finger pointing), you would think that they would have enough safe guards in place that something like this wouldn't have happened:(

My heart goes out to this girls family:(

Jasonsbaby
02-23-2003, 12:09 AM
What an AWFUL thing to happen

You would think that because Drs have to go to school 6+ yrs plus several years of residency/internship, that they would be able to READ. I am so horrified after reading this and following this in the news, I just keep thinking....She will never go to college, have a career, get married...have children. Sorry, I am a little teary eyed now, she was just a child, and the thing that the Drs said would save her life, killed her.
God has a special place in heaven for children, and I am sure that she is alright, I will pray that the Drs and other medical staff will be made accountable for their actions and their negligence, I am not talking about lawsuits, although I am sure THEM and the hospital will be slapped with one if not several, nor am I talking about revenge, I am talking about closure. I will also pray that this horrible accident will spark more rules and regulations and policies with that hospital and all hospitals regarding transplants of ANY kind so this NEVER happens again.
Okay, enough ranting and raving, I just felt I needed to get this off my chest, thanks for sharing this with people here, sometimes it helps to talk about things.:rolleyes:

Kukubaby
02-23-2003, 12:23 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with her family. She sings with the angels now. The doctors better pray that the family doesn't change their mind and decide to sue. What a shame, what a waste.

hotwheelstx
02-23-2003, 02:24 AM
This is so sad. I can't understand/see how this happened. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

JMO I see NOTHING wrong w/receiving free medical help when it's there.

Being born W/Spina Bifida and my parents HAVING medical ins. If it hadn't of been for a referral to Shriner's Hospital here in Houston I probably wouldn't be alive today.

As for coming to America illegally-that's probably why they were here.

1-There's nothing wrong w/getting help when you need it.

2-Coming to a different country is a scary thing in itself. Especially when you don't know the language.

3-I would think a dr. from their country told them to come here and told them we have better medical facilities.

4-It's very very sad that they came to America and they leave here w/o their daughter, due to someone not reading a label.

JMO :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

kybeauty
02-23-2003, 05:36 AM
My prayers also go out to her family!...I think the whole "organ donation" system is a mess..(please don't bash me)..I mean someone DONATES these organs then the family must pay huge amounts..it just isn't right! I think it is a shame they gave her the WRONG organs..I also think it is a shame they did not donate hers (although I am not sure hers were viable)..This is one of the saddest stories I have ever read!......

momfromTN
02-23-2003, 06:21 AM
I DID say that she shouldn't have to have gone thru what she did, and suffered like that. No one should. I do not agree with people being here illegally, and I will hold to that opinion, but I can understand why they did it. And I stand corrected as to how it was paid for. But, again, I am sorry she suffered and died and how the family has to leave without their child. It is a sad thing, and I cannot believe that she got as far as getting the organs the first time, because in a hospital, it is not only ONE person who checks the blood type. So a LOT of people are in some hot water, and rightfully so. I also believe that the organ donation system is not all correct, Kybeauty, especially when the organs are DONATED. The whole thing is sad, and I will bet that the ones responsible, especially the MDs, won't get in as much trouble as they should either.

kybeauty
02-23-2003, 07:12 AM
MomfromTN...I have to agree it also is VERY sad that citizens of this country can't afford medical treatment...I also think she was blessed to not only get one set ..but two..MANY people die without ever receiving the needed organs :(..

odyssey
02-23-2003, 08:41 AM
poor child and family. :(

schsa
02-23-2003, 08:57 AM
It was my understanding that there were private funds raised to help with the cost of the surgery. Assuming that the staff who participated in the surgery volunteered their skills then the only bill would be by the hospital. Which I am sure would be well in excess of $100,000.

Next, we are all likely to make mistakes. Things happen that are not expected. Someone was given incorrect information and the blood typing was wrong. I don't know who did it nor do I care. I am sure that the person who did it didn't make this mistake on purpose and wanted someone hurt. But things happen. Doctors, medical staff, surgeons are not gods. They are people.

I feel for her family and for all of those involved. I am sure that everyone involved is upset. No one wanted this to happen. They were there to save a life not take it.

ieatalot
02-23-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't remember who said this but here is their quote ~~I totally agree, and it really doesn't matter to me where she came from or how~~ You should care how she & her family got in..........what if the next person to enter the USA with the aid of the same person decided to bring in someone who will turn out to be our next terrorist?

While I am sadden that the little girl died, it's obvisious that she would have died in her own country or she wouldn't have been here, instead of her family making millions of dollars because of this......that money should go to improving medical regulations so this never happens again to anyone.

babystar0729
02-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Yes, she would have died in her country too, but NOT as fast and sudden, she came to ths country wth a DREAM. A dream to save her life, NOT to lose it even faster than her illness could have.Yes, she was lucky to receive a set of organs, but youhave to realize that the SECOND set was GIVEN to her to minimize the HUGE mistake those doctors /staff made. Dont you find it strange that she was on a waiting list for over 3 years, she finally gets them, THEY mess it up , and when people learned about all this, the hospital tried to fix their mistake and got another set wihin DAYS!!!!!!
it really upsets me to hear /read comments about immigrants.What is it that you love about the U.S.? The freedom? The good oportunities? the fact that most people live a GOOD life? That is exactly what they come looking for... cause they dont have that in their country.They come to the U.S. looking for a chance in life, the freedom, the chance to work and feed their families, what is wrong about that? If you can be proud of yourself when you work hard and get a raise/ a better position in your job, why cant they??

I still am in shock about the girl... Jessica Santillan, I am sure she is in a much better place now and is no longer in pain :(

Iluvbears
02-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Here's the organization that funded her hospitalization

http://www.4jhc.org/mediapage.html

momfromTN
02-23-2003, 09:46 PM
I am not against people coming here to the USA. I just do not agree with doing it illegally. There are ways to do it legitimately.

mjh341
02-23-2003, 10:17 PM
OK,my turn. I am the mother of a beautiful 10 year old daughter who received a heart transplant in November 1995 at Egleston Children's Hospital in Atlanta,Georgia. It was a completely sucessful operation. My take on this situation...I don't remember how many times my daughter was cross matched. She went through a battery of tests before she was even listed for transplant. HIV test, lung capacity, and CAT scan and EEG to check her mental capabilities. We were told if she failed the brain tests, a transplant would not be offered. I say some one failed in their screening process. Not only was the first set of organs lost...so were the second. Please don't slam me. Hundreds of people die everyday awaiting an organ transplant that doesn't come. The national number of people waiting for an organ is n the 50,000 range. Organ donation will suffer greatly from this mistake. There will definately be less organs available and more people will die waiting for an organ that doesn't come. Another point I want to make is...the organ is donated. We did not pay for my daughter's new heart. However, the hospital charged for the operating room, surgical supplies, nursing staff, respiratory staff, lab staff, medication, physical therapy etc. The surgeon was billed separately. Just the day of the surgery was $99,999.99. Nowhere were we billed for the heart. My heart breaks for Jesica's family. I can only imagine their greif. My heart also breaks for the thousands of people awaiting organs that will also die because of this HUGE mistake. JMO.

babystar0729
02-23-2003, 11:27 PM
I am glad to hear your daughter had a sucsess surgery!

Yes, 2 sets of organs were lost, and so was the life of a sweet little girl.I do see how THOUSANDS of people would be affected by the extra heart and lungs, but what you say is also true, MANY MANY people suffer waiting for an organ...
I think this should be a wake up call for everyone and people start donating more, and giving life to others... I , for one, have the sticker that says DONNOR on my ID, in case anything happens to me, they will know I want to donate and take whatever they need.

Now, back to the illegal thing. Do you know that in some of the countries, one of the requirements for them to aprove the passport and you being able to come here is proof of income and bank account statements. You HAVE TO HAVE a bank account with at LEAST I dont know, lets say $1,000 , and then they charge you for the permits, VISA,etc... it is not as easy as it sounds, specially when most of the people come here cause they dont have a good paying job to feed their family, OF COURSE they are not gonna have $1,000 n a bank account, and they cant afford to pay all the fees they charge and THEN transportation... MANY< MANY people die trying to come here! you have no idea of how many people lose their lives trying to provide a better one for their families :( they die on the way, they starve to death, or have not had any water for days, they sleep on the land they walk for days, etc..... PLEASE dont hate people for comming here and trying to provide a good life for their families... think of all the bad thigs they must have suffered there, so they leave everything behind and risk their lives to find a job here, to find freedom.. some of these people never see their parents again cause they cannot go back... and some of the people die on their way :(

momfromTN
02-24-2003, 05:44 AM
"PLEASE dont hate people for comming here and trying to provide a good life for their families... think of all the bad thigs they must have suffered there, so they leave everything behind and risk their lives to find a job here, to find freedom.. some of these people never see their parents again cause they cannot go back... and some of the people die on their way "

Not agreeing with people coming here illegally is not the same as hating them. How is disagreement considered "hating"? I can never figure that one out, how if you disagree with someone and their lifestyle or opinion, that you "hate" or are "phobic". Can there simply not be a difference of opinion. I said I felt sorry for this kid and her family. I just didn't agree with the illegal part. I do not hate anyone.

KYgirl
02-24-2003, 07:01 AM
I am glad to hear your daughter had a sucsess surgery!

Yes, 2 sets of organs were lost, and so was the life of a sweet little girl.I do see how THOUSANDS of people would be affected by the extra heart and lungs, but what you say is also true, MANY MANY people suffer waiting for an organ...
I think this should be a wake up call for everyone and people start donating more, and giving life to others... I , for one, have the sticker that says DONNOR on my ID, in case anything happens to me, they will know I want to donate and take whatever they need.

Now, back to the illegal thing. Do you know that in some of the countries, one of the requirements for them to aprove the passport and you being able to come here is proof of income and bank account statements. You HAVE TO HAVE a bank account with at LEAST I dont know, lets say $1,000 , and then they charge you for the permits, VISA,etc... it is not as easy as it sounds, specially when most of the people come here cause they dont have a good paying job to feed their family, OF COURSE they are not gonna have $1,000 n a bank account, and they cant afford to pay all the fees they charge and THEN transportation... MANY< MANY people die trying to come here! you have no idea of how many people lose their lives trying to provide a better one for their families :( they die on the way, they starve to death, or have not had any water for days, they sleep on the land they walk for days, etc..... PLEASE dont hate people for comming here and trying to provide a good life for their families... think of all the bad thigs they must have suffered there, so they leave everything behind and risk their lives to find a job here, to find freedom.. some of these people never see their parents again cause they cannot go back... and some of the people die on their way :(

Very well said :D

Like My Hubsband (he is Mexican)he was a Lucky one, He got to come to the US with a Visa and Passport, One of his Friends helped him get here with the Help of a Farmer...
Alot of them don't get a chance to come over Legally so they pay some one to sneak them aross the border or the sneak themself across and the Bad part of the People who help them sneak across are INS workers..

Whether or not I was married to My hubby I would say this..
I am Very Happy to see People want to Better their Lives and better the Lives of their Families:D

MommyG3
02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
My heart goes out to the family. And, I agree with Schsa

ttistin
02-24-2003, 03:04 PM
about the illegal part, My dh just got a new job last month we had to move and all that. The job he left was on a farm and he worked with illegal guys. The one has 4 kids and the other one has 5 kid, all in gutamala(sp). They had left their families and paid to be snuck over here, They paid a lot of money to get over here that way and it took them 2~3 days to get across the border. They would keep their pay checks for a couple of weeks and then go and cash them and send down money to their familys, for food, for clothes or to keep the house. The one was a butcher but didnt make enough money to support his family so he left.

I dont agree that they and others come over illegaly, if they can afford to pay to get snuck across then they should be able to come over legally. It makes it hard on people like my dh who worked hard 6 days a week and still made less then the two illeal guys, even though he worked there longer and was in charge. Plus he had to deal with them not knowing how to speak english, and them looking in our windows, going through our stuff, killing our animal etc... I know it isnt just illegal people that do this kind of stuff, but what would the cops say if we had called them? and his boss? Yes he knew they were not legal but hired them and others anyway.

Sorry to go on and on. I am truly sorry about this little girl, and yes someone does need to take the blame and not try to point the finger.

babystar0729
02-24-2003, 03:44 PM
WHoa, first of all ok, let me REFRASE the word HATE, what I meant was " not liking" I didnt mean HATE , like in an extreme way.. but not liking people that come here illegaly.

I already tried to explain WHY they do it... and tried to explain WHY it is easier for them/more covenient etc for them to do it that way. Ok, to come here , in addition to having to have the bank account I told you, the proof of income,the passport and visa, you have to get a permit.You go in there and they ask questions and based oyour answers they will either aprove or dissaprove yor permit.Unless you are a student, if you dont make ENOUGH money and HAVE money there, you are NOT gonna get the permit cause they THINK you are comming here to stay and work.THAT is why no everyone can come in here legally.
You have to have $$$$, a bank account, and a good paying job to come here, plus money for all the paper work , plus money for transportation... that DOES add up and ends up costing a lot more... maybe if laws and requirements changed it would be easier to get here legally....

OH and I dont see any relation with being illegal and killing animals and going through peoples stuff... you cant judge ALL people for just a few.... I am sorry you had that bad experience :(

momfromTN
02-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Thank you Babystar, I just wanted to make sure that is what you meant. The written word can be easily misconstrued. I am just tired of some accusing others of "hate", when it is simply disagreement.

miccit
02-24-2003, 04:15 PM
I think one of the worst parts of this whole tragedy is the doctors knew they had given her the wrong blood typed organs and waited 10 days before informing her family. It is like they were trying to hide it. I feel awful for her family.

As for the illegal residents--- A lot of illegal residents pay alot of money to come here illegally. I know of several people who have paid over $10,000 each to come here illegally and receive a fake birth certificate, visa, and social security card. This is so wrong. I have neighbors who are illegals and no one does anything about it. There are 25 people living in a 3 bedroom home. They are on welfare and work. They drive brand new cars and spend money like there is no tomorrow. I know they are illegal because we had to call the police once when one of their children was attacked by another neighbors dog. The cops knew they were illegal and didn't say a word.

babystar0729
02-24-2003, 06:37 PM
I am sorry, but I dont think that is possible.How can you get welfare if you dont have a SSN ????

momfromTN
02-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Oh they find a way. It is true.

miccit
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
I am sorry, but I dont think that is possible.How can you get welfare if you dont have a SSN ????

They are eligible for welfare because they have children. They won't turn them away. Plus, a lot of them do have social security numbers because they buy them right along with their other fake documents.

As a matter of fact my son's best friends parents are here illegally. Their children are citizens because they were born here. They don't have social security numbers (I was the person who was doing enrollments in the school office that day), but they are on welfare.

It isn't funny, but I had to laugh when the police came out to evict my old neighbors and they asked to see her visa and she told them she didn't have a visa only Master Card. Yes, that is right she didn't have a visa to be in this country, but she did have a Master Card.

babystar0729
02-24-2003, 09:06 PM
That cant be true! :eek:
wow, you learn something new EEEEEEEEEEEVERY day , I guess...

But still..... PLEASE be kind to all people, even if they dont have all of their documents :)

mjh341
02-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Yes they can receive Medicaid without Social Security numbers...
1 if one of them is a female expecting a baby
2 if there is an emergency medical need
3 when the baby is born in the US is automatically gets a ssn
I work in financial aid at the only hospital in a 3 county area that delivers babies. We qualify illegal aliens all the time for Medicaid. Please don't slam me...some of these people have NEVER seen a doctor. They come in to have their babies and end up being really sick. Usually the Moms only qualify for the birth of the baby, but the children continue on Medicaid.

miccit
02-25-2003, 07:35 AM
That cant be true! :eek:
wow, you learn something new EEEEEEEEEEEVERY day , I guess...

But still..... PLEASE be kind to all people, even if they dont have all of their documents :)

I am not unkind to them. Like I said my son's best friend's parents are here illegally. They come to my house all the time.

That doesn't mean I don't have a problem with it. I think it is wrong that they get around the system. And like someone else said, if it is that easy for illegal residents to gain access to our country, how safe is our country? I am not saying all illegal residents want to harm our country, but we all know there are some that do. Just my opinion.

Blackerose
02-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Hundreds of children come to this country every year from abroad, legally to get medical treatment. I'm sure that you've heard of several sets conjoined twins who came to be separated. A lot of organizations sponsor these kids to get them here. I don't know if Jesica's family came here legally or not. I saw on Court TV today where her family has already hired an attorney. Also, the family refused to donate any of Jesica's organs. I know that some, like her kidneys were damaged, but what about her eyes, skin, liver, pancreas? I don't think that the heart and lungs could've been reused but I am not sure. Actions like this just strengthens my position not to be an organ donor.

babystar0729
02-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi Marinafk! well, doesnt that make you wanna help change the world, and help make a difference? WHat I heard on TV is that they didnt donete the organs because they were gonna do all sorts of studies to find out exactly what happened...
I dont know... but yes, I agree with that, that was a HUGE mistake not to donate ANY of her organs when she received 2 sets....

mjh341
02-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Marinafk...Please reconsider you stance on organ donation. There are thousands who desperately need them. Please do not let one bad hospital/doctor cloud your judgement. Without organ donation hundreds of thousands people will die. I know I am on the receiving end. My daughter's transplant was a success. I also received a corneal transplant. Where would I or my daughter be without the loving, brave gifts some one gave to us? Please, please reconsider. In Jesica's cause the heart failure could have been so severe that her other organs were damaged. Even the skin could be damaged. Please, don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we nees them here on Earth.