PDA

View Full Version : I'm swearing off selling on ebay!! SOO MAD!!!

christianw27
02-22-2003, 12:05 AM
I have sold on ebay for a long time occasionally, I buy more than I sell. Today someone left me feedback saying that I didnt describe an item correctly. Do people not understand the concept of contacting another person if you are not happy with something?? I would have gladly made an adjustment in the price but this person never even asked!!! Long story short I sold a pair of jeans I wore one time, I bought them brand new from lane bryant. The other person said they appeared to have been worn something like quite a few times. This bummed me out. I try to be honest about everything. I am an easy person to deal with, whine, moan, complain...:mad:

twinkiesmom
02-22-2003, 12:20 AM
have you tried posting a rebuttal to the feedback?

mom4angels
02-22-2003, 04:54 AM
I have sold on Ebay for two years now. I have never had a negative feed back before until three weeks ago. I sold a lady some items and I emailed her twice never got a response. I was going to call at the end of the week but I found out that she left me negative feedback saying that she hadn't heard from the seller in two weeks. I wrote a rebuttal under it but I called her at home and got it straighten out. It is bad beause you can't change the negative feedback they can leave another response if you get it straight. If you only have one bad feedback I wouldn't be to concerned because most people will look at the fact you only have one after selling for a while.

WitchyGurl
02-22-2003, 05:46 AM
I sold a lot (7 pairs) of my daughters jeans. I described them in great detail! I mentioned every pair, brand, color, button or snap closure, how much wear on the knees and hemline, any fading on the knees. I put in my post I'd give measurements (waist and inseam) upon request. The one person who requested the measurements won my aution.
I added the shipping info in my post. I even threw in an extra summer dress with Sponge-Bob Square-Pants (my daughter NEVER wore it) of the same size. I waited and e-mailed her to make sure she got the package OK. She e-mailed me she did. About a week later I e-mailed her and reminded her I was new to e-bay and could use all the feedback I could get. She apologized because all of her kids (all 6 of them) had been sick and it had slipped her mind. She promised to leave some and thanked me for the extra dress. The next day I had my good feedback!
I really think most people intend to leave feedback, just sometimes "life" happens ;)
It never hurts to give them a friendly reminder.

I'd never be so rude as to ask someone for feedback UNTIL I was sure they recieved the package!!!
BUT that's just me:)

When I sell clothes I do make a habit out of adding something not listed in my auction. Heck I usually have plenty of old clothes around anyway. If it's a dress, chances are my kid only wore it once or twice anyway so they are always in great shape!

christianw27
02-22-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm not even going to try the rebuttal because I just don't want to get into it with the person. They won the auction and it's their right to have their opinion. What irritated me the worse was the auction was over a month ago, plenty of time for them to let me know if they had a problem with the item, which they didn't that's what irritated me. I never ask people for feedback, I feel like if they don't want to give it that's fine too.. I have a lot of positive feedback, now this "NEUTRAL" and one negative by someone i just couldn't please... I don't know, its just sad. Its so expensive anymore too. Its just more hassle than its worth for me I guess. It wasn't a matter of them not leaving feedback with me it was that they left a neutral for something over a month old and didn't bother to contact me at all....Must just be my touchy feelings... I dont know

Katt
02-22-2003, 10:31 AM
I know how you feel for sure. I always pay VERY fast. Never had a problem till I ran across some @$$ on there. I bought something with buy it now, paid the "quoted" shipping and for my package within 5 minutes. Never heard from them. I emailed 6 times, never got a response. After 3 weeks, I left neg feedback, and said an email would have prevented it. Even though I held up my end, they left me negative feedback (my first one, and I'm pissed lol) saying I requested cheap shipping, then complained when it took 2 weeks to get to me. UGH I used the rebuttle thing, but it still pisses me off that people can do that, especially when it wasn't ME who was in the wrong.

I'm starting to think ebay just sucks. :(

momfromTN
02-22-2003, 11:15 AM
My personal opinion on shipping is that I think they should only charge for the ACTUAL shipping, not inflate it 400% (sarcasm). I sold a couple of times on Ebay and one time I miscalculated shipping and sent the person a refund for the difference. I just cannot see overcharging for shipping.

harloo
02-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Sometimes it's a no win situation on ebay. You have all these fees, and if you are not selling a hot item then you will not make a big profit. I try to keep shipping as low as possible, but I do feel if you bid on something you should agree to shipping prices no matter how much the cost.

I can understand the frustration with ebay because it's like you need ebay for the faithful consumers, but the downside is dealing with non paying bidders and people who are dishonest.

I totally have stopped buying on ebay, because it's too much of a hassle when something goes wrong. You are all alone with no help at all, and that's all you can do is threaten the seller.

Ebay sucks IMO, but the way you can sell with ease to a wide audience is more appealing than their sucky system. I continue to sell on ebay, but mostly new things and a few older things. It sure helps out a little, but when I look at my credit card statement I start to think it helps very little. LOL

schsa
02-22-2003, 12:56 PM
I like e-Bay because I can buy things that are not available in my local area. Through e-Bay I have been able to hook up with a wonderful company in California that makes batik dresses for large women. Without e-Bay I would never have found them.

On the whole I have been pleased with everything I have bought. I have only had one item that I had to give bad feedback on and it was because the item was badly damaged and the seller didn't mention it in the description. Other than that, I think that I have done very well. I mainly buy clothes and I am getting great prices on items that I would not have been able to afford otherwise. Plus I have a cut off on what I am willing to bid on any given item. So it keeps my spending in check.

christianw27
02-22-2003, 01:27 PM
I tell ya, I have bought over a hundred things on there at least and I love the prices but the shipping with some sellers does get crazy. man......:rolleyes: . I like it over here much better....:D

cpbaby
02-22-2003, 02:12 PM
I have never(YET, keeping fingers crossed) gotten a neg or neutral feedback OR given one either. Ive been EXTREMELY lucky. theone time something went wrong, I recieved the wrong "lot" of items. WHenI contacted the seller, he was VERY aplogetic and said I could a) keep it or b) him send my money back, including shipping both ways BECAUSE the person who got MY lot refused to give it up. I kept it because it was actually the better lot and left him very nice feedback. He messed up, but he did offer to make it right. And was extremely nice about it.

Schsa, Please, if you dont mind, PM me some info on those dresses. Im looking for some myself nad have almost given up. TIA!

Katt
02-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN
My personal opinion on shipping is that I think they should only charge for the ACTUAL shipping, not inflate it 400% (sarcasm). I sold a couple of times on Ebay and one time I miscalculated shipping and sent the person a refund for the difference. I just cannot see overcharging for shipping.

lol I've actually had someone send me money with my item, because the shipping I paid, was more than what it cost. And even if they charge outragious shipping, I figure that is their perogative, cause no one is making me buy it :) That's why I had no problem paying the shipping price this guy had listed. (not that he would have answered the emails if I wanted a different price anyway) I just wish he could have been honest and said yeah..I shipped it late. Instead of making it seem like I requested cheap shipping, then nutted out when it didn't get here. I've learned my lesson though. If I buy from anyone again and get screwed, I won't be leaving neg feedback. It's not worth ruining my feedback for.

harlow
02-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Ebay is a tough one - it helps me out when i am after something specific and the extra money I make in sales really helps. It seems like however in the past year there has been a whole new stream of buyers that are after more than just a deal. You can't please everyone even when you are specific as possible! I have been getting the run around from ebay for almost three weeks - my account was suspended for selling some weight watcher items - I immediately cleared everything up with the VERO owner but ebay won't reinstate my account! I can't buy and I can't sell currently due to this - yet there are atleast 20 auctions going on selling the same exact item I was suspended for!

Years ago my husband sold an original guitar amp, nothing had been changed or updated and he is very thorough on his explanations - this guy flipped out when he received it saying you don't sell items with original two prong cords!

twinkiesmom
02-22-2003, 06:53 PM
christianw27 - I would post a rebuttal. (an explanation after her feedback to you) You wouldn't be getting into it w/her. How many times have you visited the fb link of someone you bought from or sold to? Chances are she won't visit your fb link. I'd comment after that by saying something like "Items were described fully", etc. whatever your situation might be. It will let other ppl that read your feedback see that the buyer who left that neg fb was the one w/the problem. not anything you could prevent.

CAMSmama
02-22-2003, 07:29 PM
I also hate how they inflate shipping, I bought my son a flute, the shipping was 12.00, but when I got it, the shipping price stamped on it was only $4.75! really ticked me off, and it wasn't even in a shipping box the guy had just wrapped the original plastic case in paper.

Syrinx
02-22-2003, 08:36 PM
The shipping thing irritates me too, I don't bid when the seller is obviously inflating their shipping costs. On my auctions, I either say that shipping will be the actual cost based on the winner's zip code, and that's what I charge, or I take a guess at what it will be and put that down (sometimes the actual cost is a little bit higher, or a little lower, but it's always very close). The only time I overcharged someone on shipping by more than a few cents, I sent her a refund right away.

christianw27- you really should post a rebuttal, just say that the person did not contact you about the problem she had with the item and that you would have been willing to work it out. That way anyone looking at your feedback will see your side of it too.

christianw27
02-22-2003, 08:53 PM
I did post a reply stating that i would have been willing to work it out if they would have requested it and that I had no idea what the problem was which I don't. So I guess that's all I can do.

I agree with some of the others, I wont even bid on an item if the shipping is outrageous or doesn't say actual shipping...

harloo
02-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by christianw27
I agree with some of the others, I wont even bid on an item if the shipping is outrageous or doesn't say actual shipping...

Exactly! After someone overcharged me $6.00 on shipping once, I have learned not to bid on anything unless I'm willing to pay the estimated shipping amount. I did ask for a refund and the seller gave it back, but a lesson should be learned that if you don't agree with the shipping price then you should stay away.

I just find it extremly hard to figure out a fair starting price, and then have to come up with a fair shipping price also. And I'm sometimes afraid to do .01 to .99 cents opening bid. Anyone else have that problem?

Rocket Cowgirl
02-23-2003, 12:14 PM
I am a fairly active seller on eBay and I can give you a reason some sellers charge high shipping prices. The reason is alot of times they have to drive a ways to the post office if they live in a rural area. And they also have to charge for the packing supplies. Some even charge for the labor involved in packing it if it is a large or difficult item to package. If they don't charge more than the actual shipping price they are taking a profit loss.