PDA

View Full Version : This kinda worries me

cpbaby
02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
I am in LOVE with the Sony Via Picture Book laptops. I dont actually need a laptop but If I could get it cheap enough, Id get one. So, Ive been looking on Ebay and have bid on a couple, never more than $200 or so. So, the auctions ended and I get this email yesterday:

To member: ******
From member: ********

--------------------

have this same laptop that i'm selling for 600.00 if this price is to steep
for you all let me know. but i get these wholesale and they all are brand new.
I have good ebay feedback i mostly sell motorcycles or car stuff . i pay ups
overnight shipping and i accept westerunion only. the reason i'm selling so
cheap is because i get these wholesale and i have to sell all of these before
the new shipment come in next week. for more information email me back @
LaptopNews8127@aol.com

--------------------
This email was sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system.
If you reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and
not through eBay.

eBay does not tolerate spam (i.e., unsolicited commercial email) and is
taking steps to protect members from this abuse. In addition, solicitations
to buy or sell items outside of eBay violate eBay rules and are not covered
by services that protect members such as feedback, insurance, escrow, and
dispute resolution. If this is an offer to buy/sell items outside of eBay,
please do not participate. Enter the following link into your browser to learn more. Link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/new/stopping_spam.html

I emailed him back and said I couldnt give that for it, no more than $300, shipped, figuring he wouldnt be willing to sell for that.

I got this today:

300 is okay!

THEN, IMMEDIATLY after that one:

yes 300.00 is great

go to www.westernunion.com

send the payment to
****** william not williams
harvey, Louisana *****

i will need your name address city state zip and phone number
and the westernunion mtcn how much are you sending again

after you send the payment you would have to call westerunion and verify

This makes me very uncomfortable, and Im thinking of reporting him to Ebay, since he did contact me against thier rules. I know I named a price, but I relly didnt believe he would go for it. Also, I cant afford to lose this, I dont know who this guy is.

Would it worry you?

CAMSmama
02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
I'd report him, and DO NOT send any money. this guy seems VERY suspicious.

chort1313
02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
NO way! don't do it!!!! I would be VERY cautious of buying laptops off of EBAY. You can usually find decent ones at computer shows. If it's the price is too good to be true, it usually is. I remember an article of a kid selling laptops on ebay--he would put them on and lie about the specs..Then when he sent them he would scratch off the serial numbers so there was no way to trace it. He took a bunch of ppl, but he got caught and had to pay everyone back.
Don't send him anything and report him!

sprintx
02-10-2003, 04:54 PM
No way would I get anything from this guy. For one thing sending western union is a red flag. I forget what it is but I have heard something about it not being refundable in case of fraud etc and used frequently by scammers online.

Also as an ebay seller myself I have paid a lot of money to feature or list an auction to have a "bottom feeder" as they are called email all my bidders and offer a better deal. Definately report to ebay.

jademyst13
02-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Sounds a little fishy to me, I think I would go ahead and tell ebay.

mewoman
02-10-2003, 05:29 PM
This is a tried and true scam!!!!!!!!!! Western Union and the method got my attention real fast. I have seen this discussed on other boards many times...report him and run (don't walk) away from this

cpbaby
02-10-2003, 06:55 PM
I reported him. Ebay sent me a "form letter" back saying I should put him on my "Block" list, but my isp email doesnt HAVE a block list so I cant do that. Oh well. I thought hmmm, $600 isnt bad, but when he IMMEDIATLY dropped his price by half, I thought that was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

Syrinx
02-10-2003, 07:20 PM
That's really suspicious, if he won't list these regularly through eBay and was willing to drop his price that much, he's got to be up to something.

Queensown
02-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Yep, I see people who get scammed by these kind of bozos at the ebay safe harbor message board. You're doing a big service by reporting him. =)

scifiwoman
02-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Tell him you will send money when you have product in hand..lol see what he says to that one. :)

chort1313
02-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by scifiwoman
Tell him you will send money when you have product in hand..lol see what he says to that one. :) That happened to Brian.. The scammers sent him the product asking him for payment---EBAY intercepted. They called Brian and told him NOT to send any money to the scammers --so Brian got 3 dvd's for free.

Tyt Budget
02-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by mewoman
This is a tried and true scam!!!!!!!!!! Western Union and the method got my attention real fast. I have seen this discussed on other boards many times...report him and run (don't walk) away from this
Mewoman is absolutely correct CP. Don't give this person money. http://members.ivwnet.com/curious@ivwnet.com/GOGO/bUH-UH-NO.gif