PDA

View Full Version : talk about Spoiled....

unicorn9149
02-09-2003, 02:31 PM
We have lots of squirrels in our neighborhood, including an albino squirrel. I've been putting out 2 pecans every day on a large rock attached to our front porch. When I go out in the morning a squirrel has been sitting there begging. Yesterday I put out 1 pecan cause I'm almost out. DH was sitting in his recliner when he heard a knocking on the window. He looked out and our squirrel was on a table knocking on the window!!! Yes I put out the other pecan.

missymommy
02-09-2003, 02:40 PM
LMBO, that is too cute. :D

miccit
02-09-2003, 03:16 PM
It doesn't take them long to get spoiled.

My four year old eats her snack on the porch sometimes. She will come in and say Momma did you know squirrels like cookies? She also says they like cereal, and bread. Now, when I go out they run up in the yard looking for food. Little beggars!:p

CABANN
02-09-2003, 03:20 PM
That is too funny. I would have loved to see that squirrel knocking on your window.

freebiegrl22
02-09-2003, 03:23 PM
That is so cool! I don't live in an area with squirrels. Are they friendly? Could you pick it up if you wanted to? Seriously, I always thought they were cute, but I've never seen one up close....

unicorn9149
02-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by freebiegrl22
That is so cool! I don't live in an area with squirrels. Are they friendly? Could you pick it up if you wanted to? Seriously, I always thought they were cute, but I've never seen one up close.... The squirrels are friendly but you never want to pick one up cause you could get bit cause they are wild animals. We also have possums and raccoons that sometimes are in our back yard in the evening. Last spring I saw a baby racoon during the day. I like to watch thru the windows and I do talk to the squirrels when I leave as we have a huge maple tree in our front yard that they are in a lot.

MrsSpeed
02-09-2003, 03:32 PM
freebiegrl22 - I wouldn't suggest trying to pick up a squirrel. My FIL tried to catch one once when he was a kid. It tore him up from head to toe. :eek: My grandmother used to put sunflower seeds out for them everyday. They were used to her and would even eat out of her hand. At our old house I would put corn cobs out for them. They would perch on the feeder and eat making a mess. I finally made them wait til all the corn was eaten off the ground before I put another corn cob out.

miccit
02-09-2003, 03:32 PM
We have raccoons and possums also. One of them has been eating the lid of my big trash can!

I counted 6 squirrel nests in our trees the other day. We should have lots of babies this Spring.

MrsSpeed
02-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Speaking of raccoons. DH and I were fishing one time at the lake near here. We were just catching little fish and throwing them back. I saw a raccoon sitting about 20 feet from us just watching. The next fish DH caught I told him to throw it too the raccoon. He snatched it right up. I could just imagine what he was thinking before that. "What are those people throwing back those good fish for?" :D

unicorn9149
02-09-2003, 03:39 PM
There was an article in our paper where some people were missing expensive fish out of ponds they had just installed. Said they didn't know what kind of people would steal someone's fish. Since they lived in our neighborhood I'll bet some raccoons had a gourmet dinner

Lora_1994
02-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by freebiegrl22
Are they friendly? Could you pick it up if you wanted to? Seriously, I always thought they were cute, but I've never seen one up close....

lmao ... have you ever seen National Lampoons Christmas Vacation???
where the squirrel clung to grampa's back??I think it was gramps..

when you said that I just thought of that.. everytime I see that it just cracks me up..:D :D

newwiccan
02-09-2003, 06:16 PM
The squirrels here run up and down the telephone pole behind my fence and tease my poor dog.

Has anyone ever seen a black one before? We have a few that live in our neighborhood.

scifiwoman
02-09-2003, 07:58 PM
My mom used to leave out open faced peanut butter crackers for the squirrels. They loved them. Also would throw popcorn out for them. She could get very close to them. She also has a groundhog that visits occasionally.

freebiegrl22
02-09-2003, 08:11 PM
my twin and I were watching a really scary movie, and we heard the trash cans on the porch go down. I jumped so hard. We moved over the blinds and we screamed bloody murder when we saw eye balls staring at us. We turned on the light and it was a raccoon. He just stared into the house. Kori and I both wondered if we should shew it away or what we should do b/c it continued to go through the garbage looking at us.

Kori put her hand on the glass, and it came over and looked at the hand. Then we heard a hissing sound and bam, it tried to attack her hand through the glass. We screamed and I almost fainted I was so scared. He ran away when he heard the screams (I think) But I also didn't go out back for a few days.

Syrinx
02-09-2003, 08:16 PM
We have a lot of black squirrels around here, I've only seen them in north/northeast Ohio.

Hubby and I lived for a while in an apartment that had a second floor balcony- I started putting peanuts out on it for the squirrels (and a chipmunk). They got used to getting peanuts every morning and it got to the point that when we slept in later on weekends, one of the squirrels would hang from the screen door and rattle it to get our attention. Probably scared the heck out of the next tenants after we moved out!

miccit
02-10-2003, 07:56 AM
DH's old supervisor when we lived in Ohio lived in an area with a lot of raccoons. His wife for some weird reason had been throwing leftovers out to the animals (things like roasts, chicken, etc). One day, he was leaving for work with his brown bag lunch and a raccoon jumped on his back trying to get his lunch. He started running around the yard with this raccoon on his back. He dropped his lunch and his keys. The raccoon grabbed his keychain which was a buckeye and ran up a tree with them. He was so mad at his wife. We used to tease him that if someone could have videotaped it he could have won America's Funniest Home Videos. But, he is very lucky he didn't get hurt.