PDA

View Full Version : Bunk beds - yay or nay?

Merryg
02-06-2003, 10:28 AM
I am thinking about eventually getting our sons bunk beds as they will have to share a room. I'm a little hesitant as I can see accidents happening. Anyone out there have any good or bad experiences with bunkbeds?:confused: :confused:

DreamWarrior
02-06-2003, 10:34 AM
My dots have bunkbeds... I hate them worse than they do.... they are ALWAYS fighting cuz they can reach each other... LOL other than that, they are nice to have bcuz they dont take up a lot of space.

Juggalette
02-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Yep I have three boys all share a room , two of the boys have bunkbeds , and I am happy to say no one has been injured lol . :D

miccit
02-06-2003, 10:45 AM
My kids have bunk beds and we have never had any major incidents (now watch tonight they will do something really stupid!:rolleyes: ).

I am going to go back to IKEA this weekend and get these bunk beds I saw. They are more like a loft bed with another bed underneath. They were really nice. And it was marked down to $99 for the set. The bed that is underneath sticks out from under the bed instead of being directly underneath the top. I think it will be a little more comfortable for them.

kelblend
02-06-2003, 10:51 AM
I'm going to get a set of bunk beds soon, due to room. I'm kind of worried with my son's track record lol, but their room is too small.

mewoman
02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
I had bunkbeds for my kids and let me tell you. It was no easy decision, cuz of my DS and his ADHD.
When I bought the beds, I sat both of my kids down and told them if I ever caught either of them on the top bunk when it wasn't time for sleep, they would automatically be taking a nap until dinner time. It happened only once. They took their naps and I never caught them up on the bunk again. (I have a very small house, so I would have known).
Just set down the ground rules from the very first day and follow through.
That said, too bad u don't live closer, cuz I'm selling mine....lol

jayhawkfan
02-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Jace and Emma have bunk beds. No accidents yet. They love them, I love them :)

DEARDOROTHY
02-06-2003, 11:08 AM
I grew up sleeping on the top bunk since there were three of us in the room. Only fell off once. LOL Really liked being up there.

Hubby and I bought the wood and took three weeks to build a set of bunk beds for our daughter. She used to take turns sleeping on top and bottom, but now the top is taken up with some of her stuffed animals. When she has a friend sleep over, she lets them pick which bunk to sleep in. Most of the time, the little girls choose the top one. :D

I myself, hate changing the sheets on either bed. Used to do it once a week, but now I make Amanda do it herself. :)

Merryg
02-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys! I think that the one that comes out from under the top one will be better. We'll see. Probably won't be in the market until another few months.

MistyWolf
02-06-2003, 01:00 PM
We are contemplating bunk beds here as well. Hubby either saw on the news or read in the paper that they are now saying to wait till your youngest child is 6 before using bunk beds .. mine are 6 & 3 .. and I KNOW they will climb .. they don't listen for nothing! But we are still thinking of getting them and using them as regular beds till the little one is a bit older .. I like the kind where the bottom bed sticks out.

We also grew up with bunk beds and had no major incidents.

chocolatemomster
02-06-2003, 02:03 PM
It's one of the bunks that has a full futon on the bottom and a twin on top. Anyhow, he loves it and has not had any sort of injury from it (all of his broken bones and stitches are from either his skateboard or the monkeybars at school) :rolleyes:

miccit:
I am going to go back to IKEA this weekend and get these bunk beds I saw.

I really LOVE IKEA!!! I went for the first time around Christmas and thought they were an AWESOME store!!! :D

miccit
02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by chocolatemomster
It's one of the bunks that has a full futon on the bottom and a twin on top. Anyhow, he loves it and has not had any sort of injury from it (all of his broken bones and stitches are from either his skateboard or the monkeybars at school) :rolleyes:

miccit:

I really LOVE IKEA!!! I went for the first time around Christmas and thought they were an AWESOME store!!! :D

I must admit I am an IKEA addict. We went over the weekend. I walked out of there with 6 huge bags of stuff and 5 stools for under $100! You can't beat their prices!!!! Plus, they have that play place where you can leave your kids for an hour. What more could you want?

jaybird
02-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Sarah LOVES Ikea. The closest one is Chicago though. :(

I won't tell you the story about a friend of mine with 4 daughters and the bunkbed. But I will tell you she only has 3 daughters now.
:( :( :( :(

BE VERY CAREFUL. And please don't put the bed flush against the wall.