PDA

View Full Version : Keanu Reeves gave up $35,000 of his Matrix Salary

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:25 PM
That should read 38 MILLION dollars!

in order to have the sequals completed the way they should be. Just goes to show that some actors care more about the product than the salary.

Keanu's Kind Gesture

Generous actor Keanu Reeves has sacrificed a massive $38 million to prevent the two new Matrix films being scrapped. The Speed hunk gave up his claim to a cut of the films' ticket sales when producers began fearing the box office would not cover the costs of making the special effects-laden flicks. The gesture is one of the most generous ever in Hollywood and has stunned studio bosses. A Warner Bros. insider says, "The special effects in the new movie are beyond belief - but hugely expensive. There was a real danger the projects would be scrapped until Keanu offered to sign away his cut. He has kissed goodbye to a huge sum of money." Keanu was paid $10 million for the first Matrix movie in 1999 and picked up a further $35 million as his cut of worldwide box office sales.

chort1313
01-28-2003, 05:32 PM
that's cool. I must be the only one who didn't really care for the Matrix!

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:34 PM
you know what? I never even saw the Matrix! lol BF just told me about it and I thought it was pretty damned cool of him.

jayhawkfan
01-28-2003, 05:35 PM
That is really neat. I didnt see the Matrix until just a few months ago. I got tired of people saying OMG you havent seen it yet lol. It was pretty good, Im looking forward to the next one.

No Chort youre not alone....my sisters hated it :)

Xica
01-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I love the Matrix, it's kickass! I can't wait for parts two and three this year.

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:39 PM
ooops! it was 38 million dollars!

and teh studio execs said they didn't want to pay it bc they weren't sure it would be made back in the end

flute
01-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Where did the $ go? u mean he did the movie for free? :eek:
Or what?

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:42 PM
the 38 million was needed in order to finish up the special effects for the movie. They weren't done right and he gave up the money to insure that the people working on the speial effects could get them done better..if that makes sense! lol

not sure how much he made for the movie...

Xica
01-28-2003, 05:45 PM
lol 35,000 didn't sound like much, but who am I to question it? :p

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:46 PM
lol..I'm an ass! ;)

I just added the article to the first post but I'll add here to:

Keanu's Kind Gesture

Generous actor Keanu Reeves has sacrificed a massive $38 million to prevent the two new Matrix films being scrapped. The Speed hunk gave up his claim to a cut of the films' ticket sales when producers began fearing the box office would not cover the costs of making the special effects-laden flicks. The gesture is one of the most generous ever in Hollywood and has stunned studio bosses. A Warner Bros. insider says, "The special effects in the new movie are beyond belief - but hugely expensive. There was a real danger the projects would be scrapped until Keanu offered to sign away his cut. He has kissed goodbye to a huge sum of money." Keanu was paid $10 million for the first Matrix movie in 1999 and picked up a further $35 million as his cut of worldwide box office sales.

flute
01-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by PrncsNYC
the 38 million was needed in order to finish up the special effects for the movie. They weren't done right and he gave up the money to insure that the people working on the speial effects could get them done better..if that makes sense! lol

not sure how much he made for the movie...

sounds like he made $3 million for the movie then??

W

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:51 PM
actually, I messed it up twice, the actual number he gave up was 38 million

flute
01-28-2003, 05:53 PM
well I have no idea lmao ;)
and it's all insignificant anyway.

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:54 PM
38 million dollars is ingignificant?

flute
01-28-2003, 05:55 PM
when it goes to movies, yea I feel it is, Prncs. ;)

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Wow. I guess you have to be an actor to appreciate that another actor felt his work and the work of coountless others was important enough to give up his salary.

chort1313
01-28-2003, 06:03 PM
38 MIL??Holy MOLY! I think it's very significant and I don't see any others doing it.

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Thank you Chort

Again, I'm not a Matrix fan as I ahvn't seen teh first one and I don't care for Keanu anyway but there are a lot of people who love that movie and have been waiting a long time to see the sequal. The movie was never going to make it to the screen!

BF does graphics and if he worked that hard and long on these movies only to be told his work would never make it to the screen bc the studio execs didn't want to lose money? He'd be heartbroken

chort1313
01-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Keanu=HOT!!!! Oh, I know many people who loved the movie and they're going to be grateful that he put his money in to make the sequels right. .. I see your point about bf, also. I would to be heartbroke. I saw the Matrix in the theatre and I was just expecting something different, that's all.

Legion600
01-28-2003, 07:03 PM

Keanu's Kind Gesture

Ummmm...I think he got took. The original movie cost $63 million
and here is a link to how much it made by week
http://us.imdb.com/Business?0133093

over $400 million all total. I think the studio came out way ahead by getting him to do this. The budget for the 2nd movie was $127 million and the budget for the 3rd is $110 million. There was no way that the studio's were going to do these and then not release them. Especially since many movies make more money from home sales than they do from the box office.
That isn't counting all of the merchandise that they will make for this thing either. he got suckered.

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 07:05 PM
legion, is it your mission to send me links from imdb?

Legion600
01-28-2003, 07:12 PM
legion, is it your mission to send me links from imdb?

No, my mission in life is to spread chaos and panic whereever I go. I just like to give you the imdb links.

flute
01-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Wow. I guess you have to be an actor to appreciate that another actor felt his work and the work of coountless others was important enough to give up his salary.

I just don't see the big deal is all.

And, yes I can totally understand giving your money away. That's what I'm living my life for. :D

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
lol ok :rolleyes:

flute
01-28-2003, 08:21 PM
lol ok :rolleyes:

What's that mean?

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:24 PM
it means, it IS a big deal. Think for one minute about someone who was counting on their work being seen. Someone who spent 18 hour days working on the special effects for these two movies. If they weren't released, that person's chances of getting their next gig are *significantly* lowered bc they don't have their work to back them up.

denisemm
01-28-2003, 08:27 PM
OK, so if I'm understanding this right, he gave up what he *would* have made from theater sales. If that's the case, then how does that put the money in the studio's hands n-o-w for the special effects?
Not that I'm bashing, I think that's great that he would do that. If only more were like that. Usually I don't care, but hubby got kind of screwed on hi raise & bonus this year, so I feel *****y, LOL! ;) THere are so many actors who have SO much money, I don't see how they would or could ever spend it all ina lifetime, and I'm barely getting by. Its not fair! :p {stopms feet} ;) I know they work hard, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone anything (as long as they have actually worked for it), its just that I know my husband works just as hard at his job & doesn't make nearly the money. THat's just the way it is, though.

And I never watched THe Matrix either. Saw bits & pieces, but its just not my kind of movie. And the only movie I have ever liked Keanu in Is A Walk in the Clouds (is that right?). He has annoyed me in everything else. I'm not sure why, he just does. I feel kinda bad saying that, becuase I don't know him, maybe he's a hell of a good guy, but he has really annoyed me in every role but that one.

flute
01-28-2003, 08:28 PM
uhh, like I said that's what I'll be doing too. won't be in the millions, but yea. I'll be doin' that too.

I don't find it significant, cus in the great scheme of things, Matrix 2 isn't all that important in life..imo

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
maybe it's not significant to you but to plenty of people it is.. me? nope, but I can see past my own interests and realize that other people have a lot riding on it.

Denismm, :) what it means is that if the studio doesn't have to pay him 38 million then they are willing to foot the bill for the special effects. They aren't willing to do it otherwise bc they don't think that the movie will make the money back. Does that make sense? :)

flute
01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
It's a movie. sheesh, it's not important. Yea, I wanna see Matrix 2. But, if it's not made, I'm not going to loose a nights' sleep over it..

'other people have a lot riding on it' like who? do u mean the people making the movie? Yea, I guess they do. I hadn't thought of it that way, cus...uhh I don't care lol

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:46 PM
that much is obvious. Then why do you keep replying?

yes I mean the other peolpe making the movie..I only mentioned that 2 or 3 times...did you even read what I said..you know about teh special effects peole who go blind staring at their computer screens for 18 hours a day?

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:48 PM
a movie to you is a ***profession*** to others

denisemm
01-28-2003, 08:55 PM
I still don't get it, but that's ok, LOL! Some things I just think I wasn't meant to understand!

Now, you 2 be nice! ;)

PrncsNYC
01-28-2003, 08:58 PM
(((denisemm))) sorry I couldn't explain it better. :) Lets just say the studio execs were the ones unwilling to fot the bill so he did.

I was just looking to post something that would make peole smile..with all teh venting and whining that I do I thought it would be a good thing not get turned into a freaking debate. ..

denisemm
01-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Hey, whatever happened with that Weakesst Link you were supposed to be on??? I don't remember if anyone ever saw it & how you did. I suddenly just remembered, and was curious. (that was you right??? if I'm thinking of the wrong person I'll be really embarassed!)

Dolly<3
01-29-2003, 01:50 AM
So was the movie going to be made ANYWAY but WITHOUT the great special effects or was the movie going to not be finished at all?

Either way, I think that's great. In non-millionaire/celebrity terms I guess that would be like... say you're a teacher and you can teach the kids but not as well because the school can't pay for good supplies. So you pay for them. That's what I think it amounts to. He wanted the people he's doing this for to get the most out of it, so he used money out of his own pocket. I think that's sweet. It's not a matter of life or death if the movie didn't have good special effects, but it's his job. My fiance showed me the trailer for it earlier to day - I will say his money went to good use!

MistyWolf
01-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Just wanted to add that I think Keanu is HOT .. we share the same birthday :) .. and I do think that is very nice of him to give up the money like he did.

ahippiechic
01-29-2003, 07:35 AM
That's pretty cool. I liked the matirx, looking forward to the next 2.

And that was a good way of explaining, Amanda.

eve17
01-29-2003, 08:00 AM
I so can not wait for the next matrix.

ladybugbhb
01-29-2003, 11:24 AM
i think it is cool

PrncsNYC
01-29-2003, 11:28 AM
thank you everyone, I'm glad you liked it.

denisemm,

I;'m glad to hear that you didn't see me make a fool out of myself! lol JK. I made it to the final round but I came in second place. Statistically, I was the best player with only one question wrong in teh regular rounds though! and I made a great friend in the guy I lost to!

:D

BeesKnees
01-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Wow, 38 million just to make sure a movie is made.
Why?
It is indeed his money to spend as he chooses, but I can think of many many more worthy ways to spend money like that. It sounds to me that he is more paying to fuel his ego, than doing some grand good for so many people with supposedly so much riding on it.
But then, I guess I wouldn't understand, as I didn't like the first movie.

PrncsNYC
01-29-2003, 11:39 AM
here we go again...

I didn't see the first movie either but I understand it. I guess some people are just not trusting of anyone who tries to do something good.

Again, thank you to the people who replied with something nice to say

PrncsNYC
01-29-2003, 11:40 AM
btw, I forgot to say you did a great job of explaining it Amanda!