PDA

View Full Version : IMO this is going to far!

Mini
01-26-2003, 12:54 PM
ATLANTA (AP) Even though roads were clear of snow, sleet and ice Friday, schools around Georgia closed because of brutal cold.

School officials and parents didn't want children who were not used to such temperatures waiting for buses or walking to school in temperatures below 10 degrees.

"What is critical to us is how safe is it to operate the buses, and how safe is it for children to walk to school," said Spencer Ragsdale, spokesman for DeKalb County schools, which were closed Friday.

The temperature dropped to 8 degrees in Atlanta and Cartersville and 7 degrees in Marietta. Most north Georgia school systems were closed Friday - even though there was no ice on major roads.

wooooooow below 10? omg call the national guard:rolleyes: :D

CAMSmama
01-26-2003, 01:04 PM
AHEM, isn't this what jackets, hats, gloves and scarves were made for?? to keep you warm? they don't want them waiting for buses or walking? hell, I bet the kids are all out there playing in it!! I know my kids have been!

works4me
01-26-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't think it is,,,,,it's way too brutally cold, with the wind chills and all..JMHO

shelhop
01-26-2003, 01:09 PM
<<<snickers from the great white north (Michigan)
Sounds like a heat wave if you ask me!!!

kelblend
01-26-2003, 01:23 PM
WEll I do know that the -15 we had with the windchill really sucked.

sweetlady28
01-26-2003, 01:26 PM
it is 51 here today and just a few days ago it was 10, no wonder we all here in the south stay sick...lol

Jolie Rouge
01-26-2003, 01:35 PM
You have to understand that a Louisiana "Winter coat" is what the rest of the country calls a "windbreaker". We Southerners have thin blood and are not accustomed to truly cold weather. We had "Emergancy Alerts" issued because the temps were going to be in the low twenties ! We had buses that didn't run last week because they were not properly "winterized" foor those temps. If the weather dropped that low here, I would keep my child home regardless of the school boards decsion.

loveswolfs
01-26-2003, 02:16 PM
jolie you are correct..when i moved from wi to tx they had snow in dec. like a dusting. they closed the roads. i was like please for a dusting. im use to 5inch's befor any closing here..and being from the north it was like summer for me. then when i come up here to visit..it was in the 70 and i was frezzing..ppl thought i was nuts waking around with sweats on. i left 110* to 70* it was very cold. we had the heat on in the car...lol

odyssey
01-26-2003, 02:40 PM
that is funny you guys can stand that cold weather. 10 degrees is way toooooooo cold for my blood. Here in CA at 60 degrees SOME people act like it is freezing wearing winter coats and gloves and hats.
My DH has yet to wear a sweater or jacket this winter. and he works nights when it drops to about 45 degree's.
By the way Beautiful day in Southern Cali highs of 77 degrees.

kelblend
01-26-2003, 05:25 PM
I like to froze to death after moving back from AZ to OH. It's all of what you are used to.

lisahiser
01-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by shelhop

LOL That is how I feel exactally! :D and we just got another 8 inches worth of snow here last night on the south western side of michigan! and we are supposed to get 2-4 more tonight besides the fact it will only be 1 degree :eek: tonight!!!!!! -LOL Crank up the heat and grab the thick blankets and curl up! :p

twinkiesmom
01-26-2003, 06:12 PM
lisa - send your snow my way! We got hardly anything in Bay City, and I wanna go sledding!

CAMSmama
01-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I guess it does depend on what you are used to, My dad was navy and we lived all over the country, so I'm kind of used to it all! :) I just figured if it isn't too cold for them to play in, it's not too cold for them to wait for the schoolbus. LOL We homeschool anyway, so My kids aren't affected by closings. :)

Quaker_Parrots
01-26-2003, 07:39 PM
YOu also have to realise down south, when it is that cold it is a "wet" cold, whereas up north it is more a dry cold, that is why when they get snow down south, everything closes, cause it is slicker than here up north. I like 3 foot of northern snow alot better than 2 inches of southern snow, lol, at least you can drive on the northern snow, with the 2 inches of southern snow, you don't go anywhere but the ditch. (I know from experience the south gets slot of freezing rain too)

Mini
01-26-2003, 07:41 PM
i was just voicing my opinion..but i know that doesn't go very far here

loveswolfs
01-26-2003, 08:02 PM
taybai..have you ever drove up north in the snow with the ppl from the north?.. i grew up in the north and all i want to do when its snowing is get my car off the road whith all the jerks up here. i feel safer drivng down south going 80 and no one knowing what a yeild sign is for..lol...they drive like jerks up here in the snow and they have it every year !!! they act like they have never seen the stuff befor!!..lol

Katt
01-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by BSB Nick lover

Huh? I'm confused, your opinion doesn't go very far here? lol I didn't think anyone in this thread was being mean or rude, did I miss something?

lisahiser
01-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by twinkiesmom
lisa - send your snow my way! We got hardly anything in Bay City, and I wanna go sledding!

LOL!!!!!! You can come over ANYTIME and take ALL you want IT IS FREE!!!- lol It is sooooo weird isn't how there hardly isn't any snow in someplaces here in Michigan and the rest of us get dumped on!-lol My Aunt lives in Caro, MI and says that they don't have hardly anything either. My kids haven't been out sledding much this past week cuz they got sick, but man, I wish I had a snowmobile today!, we had a ton of them come flying down my road!, I wanted to go and play too!!!!! :( :p ;) :eek: :D :cool:

jayhawkfan
01-26-2003, 09:32 PM
I didnt send my kids last Friday. If keeping them safe from frost bite means they have to miss a day of school so be it. Even with coats scarves gloves and hats it was way to cold for their little lungs to be out. I dont think there have ever been a time that I have disagreed with the school district when it came to closing school for bad weather. Here school gets closed when it gets too hot too. When its more than 90 and those kids have to go with no A/C its just as dangerous as the cold. JMHO :)

Jolie Rouge
01-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BSB Nick lover :

Now don't be like that. I have some friends up North who don't understand what babies we Southerners' can be when it gets cold. We brave Hurricannes and floods like it happens everyday (well, every other day) but let the mercury in the themometer fall and we are all huddled around our fires.

We don't usually put antifreeze in our cars - when the temps drop, they announce on EVERY newscast, several times each broadcast, to go purchase some and put it in. When it got cold last week, half the bus routes in the city where "off" because they were not prepared and half the buses wouldn't start or would not run.

I went and BOUGHT gloves and hats this past week because - up to now - we never wore them. Our "winter weather" usually lasts about three weeks, nonconsectutive days of course.

You are entitled to your opinion - and on the surface it does seem silly - but not when you live here.

((( BSB Nick lover }}}

justinenycole26
01-27-2003, 12:13 AM
One of the major reasons they close schools when it is that cold is because the brake lines on the buses can freeze. Would you want your child on that bus???? I wouldn't.

kelly12569
01-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by shelhop

Im tellin ya...cuz right now our temp is -7* and I dunno what the windchill is. My kids are yet to have a delay, etc due to the cold. But HECK...its Indiana.....if you dont like the weather here, stick around, it will change tomorrow!!

kelblend
01-27-2003, 06:46 AM
OMG it's -9 and windchill is -18!!! I live in ohio and have for most of my life and this is truly uncalled for!!!

Quaker_Parrots
01-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by loveswolfs
taybai..have you ever drove up north in the snow with the ppl from the north?.. i grew up in the north and all i want to do when its snowing is get my car off the road whith all the jerks up here. i feel safer drivng down south going 80 and no one knowing what a yeild sign is for..lol...they drive like jerks up here in the snow and they have it every year !!! they act like they have never seen the stuff befor!!..lol

Actually Born in Michigan raised in Tennessee, and am currently living in Michigan, lol, so yes, I have driven both places in the snow, and up here, it doesn't matter what the road conditions, the idiots ALWAYS drive like a bat outta you know where. lol, I have lived several different places(including near a military base) and I have to say the drivers here are the worst, for some reason, most drivers here are really into road rage, and it can be very scary

also, temp here this morn, -1, windchill -14 my son still went to school, couldn't get either of my vehicles started, so we had to walk to the bus stop (we live in a community where all the kids catch the bus at the same place, so it was a nice FREEZING little walk, lol) and luckily we didn't have to wait at the bus stop, we got there just as the bus was pulling up.

and too, so far as slick roads, the south doesn't have the resources the north does to deal with clearing off the roads either (they don't get as much snow as the north does, and are usually ill prepared for it when it does come)

Mini
01-27-2003, 02:01 PM
and too, so far as slick roads, the south doesn't have the resources the north does to deal with clearing off the roads either (they don't get as much snow as the north does, and are usually ill prepared for it when it does come)

um thats not entirely true

Ladytiger
01-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, for the past 2 weeks we have been having 2 hour delays for school, I guess they think the temp will go up in that two hours:rolleyes: It's been below zero, and dropping to dangerous temps at night, we have just been informed to keep water running, which we do anyway, pipes are busting all over in this complex.
As for the driving, yes, it makes for really bad driving conditons due to very icy roads.

Jolie Rouge
01-27-2003, 03:00 PM
taybai :

[QUOTE]BSB Nick lover :

Depends on *HOW FAR* South. Shreveport gets one or two snowfalls per year. We had a snowfall January 1 2002. The last prior snowfall to that was January 26, 1989. You can see why we don't handle cold well.

jayhawkfan
01-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Im not sure why this is such a big deal :confused: Im not trying to be rude Im seriously wondering. As a parent I make the decisions for my kids. If I think its to cold/icy/snowing then they dont go. Half the time the city schools are open and my sons school...a county school where they bus kids in from a bunch of little towns...is closed. Im very thankful that the district takes the time to make sure our kids are safe at all times. I know Ive said that before but it really is a big thing with me.

Ladytiger
01-27-2003, 03:24 PM
We have discussed it, and if the temps are below zero again tomorrow, dot is staying home.

Quaker_Parrots
01-27-2003, 07:04 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
taybai :

[QUOTE]BSB Nick lover :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I lived in the NW corner of Tennessee, with you being in the mountains, i am sure you get alot more snow than we did, lol, where i lived it took them DAYS to get everything cleared, in fact when I was in second grade, we were out of school for almost six weeks, because of snow, (of course that has been many a moon ago)and had to go longer days and into the summer to make up for missed school days

freebiegrl22
01-27-2003, 07:09 PM
my school used to close and we had to have a make up day if we made it to the state finals in football and basketball. If it was icy out, we still had school, but you can get an excused absense for hunting season...lol

angelinwaiting
01-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by taybai
YOu also have to realise down south, when it is that cold it is a "wet" cold, whereas up north it is more a dry cold, that is why when they get snow down south, everything closes, cause it is slicker than here up north. I like 3 foot of northern snow alot better than 2 inches of southern snow, lol, at least you can drive on the northern snow, with the 2 inches of southern snow, you don't go anywhere but the ditch. (I know from experience the south gets slot of freezing rain too)

My words exactly...10 degrees here is a lot different than 10 degrees in the north...it got down to 13 here one night last week and my son had to go to school....and here in south Bama, it just hardly ever gets that cold...the normal here at night is in the low 40's....

Oh yea, they also close the schools here if we get alot of rain cause the buses can't drive on the muddy red clay dirt roads:p ;)

janelle
01-27-2003, 09:29 PM
I know it's all in what you get use to but my BIL had to order all the nurses to come to work at a hospital in San Antonio because they didn't want to drive on a dusting of snow. they were freaking out. My BIL has lived in cold climates and he said if the roads are passable tell them to get to work. Only one didn't show up but some jobs are just necessary to get to. I guess all the southerners need to go to seminars in the cold states to learn how to drive on ice and snow so when they so get it they won't be stranded.

lisahiser
01-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I just figure that if you haven't ever driven in snow or ice or have a very huge fear of it, just drive SLOW!! take your time and if some idiot wants to pass you, by all means let them! I have found from a near death experince in this situation, that if you just drive slowly and keep your focus on the road, remember to brake ALOT earlier than when you normally would on a rainy day and just remain calm that you will eventually get to where you need to go. and in my experince I wasn't even going very fast but I also wasn't paying attention either. I will be honest and say that I have driven in blizzard like conditions to go to the store or wherever and only done 30 mph at the most at times. I just love to watch all these idiots in their SUV's or Big bad trucks, that think just because they have a bigger vehicle that they can just run the road, but I just happily let them pass me and wave at them as I drive by, while they in the ditches, calling a tow truck from their cell phones. The roads where I live at this time of the year are always coverd in ice, and it is rare to even see pavement unless you are on the highway. Here in michigan we don't get alot of salt dumped on our roads, mostly dirt, unless you are taking the highways. But we just had our first snow day last thursday here and that was only because we got 9 inches with in a 5 hour period and with all the country roads around me there is now way they can get them all cleared off some before school started. We rarely have snow days, or any school closings for that matter it can be 15 below and if the roads are clear, the kids go to school here. And I am not try to say that everyone south of the snow belt should be used to this type of weather, I am just saying that everyone needs to be prepared. No matter what the weather maybe, and I can't even imagine what those San Ana (spelling??) winds were/are like out west, or even to drive in them, cuz from what I saw on the news, I would be freaked out if that ever happened here in Michigan.... and trust me we get our windy days of 40 mph or more gusts but YIKERS! ;)

Jolie Rouge
01-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Fun Things to do While Driving

Vary your vehicle's speed inversely with the speed limit.

Roll down your windows and blast talk radio. Attempt to headbang.

At stop lights, eye the person in the next car suspiciously. With a look of fear, lock your doors.

Two words: Chicken suit.

Write the words "Help me" on your back window in red paint. The more it looks like blood, the better.

Have conversations, looking periodically at the passenger seat, when driving alone.

Laugh a lot. A whole lot.

Stop at the green lights.

Go at the red ones.

Occasionally wave a stuffed animal/troll doll/Barbie out your window or sunroof. Feel free to make it dance.

Eat food that requires silverware.

Pass cars, then drive very slowly.

Sing without having the radio on.

Honk frequently without motivation.

Ask people for Grey Poupon.

Let pedestrians know who's boss.

Look behind you frequently, with a very paranoid look.

Restart your car at every stop light.

Hang numerous car-fresheners in the rear-view mirror. Talk to them, stroking them lovingly.

Lob burning things in the windows of smokers who throw their butts out the window.

While stopped at a light, pee out the window/sunroof onto other cars.

Paint your car with occult symbols.

Keep at least five cats in the car.

Root (cheer, not snuffle in the mud) for firetrucks.

Stop and collect roadkill.

Stop and pray to roadkill.

{{Just thought I woouold try and lighten up the mood in here...

janelle
01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Well I would probably not ever drive in it myself, I don't now, but then I am a coward. But if I was a nurse I'd have to find some other way to work. Some people are just needed more than others.

janelle
01-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Hey Jolie--I was going to ask you if you know where to find the "Honk if you love Jesus" joke. I was trying to tell that to my SIL the other day and I couldn't remember most of it, just that it is hilarious. LOL

Jolie Rouge
01-27-2003, 10:25 PM
janelle :
Hey Jolie--I was going to ask you if you know where to find the "Honk if you love Jesus" joke. I was trying to tell that to my SIL the other day and I couldn't remember most of it, just that it is hilarious. LOL

This one ... ?

A LETTER FROM GRANDMA

My Dear Family,

The other day I went up to a local Christian bookstore and saw a "Honk If You Love Jesus" bumper sticker.

I was feeling particularly sassy that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting, so I bought the sticker and put in on my bumper.

I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord and how good He is and I didn't notice that the light had changed.

It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn't honked, I'd never have noticed. I found that LOTS of people love Jesus. Why, while I was sitting there, the guy behind started honking like crazy, and when he leaned out of his window and screamed, "for the love of God, GO! GO!" What an exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus. Everyone started honking! I just leaned out of my window and started waving and smiling at all these loving people.

I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love. There must have been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a sunny beach...

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. When I asked my teenage grandson in the back seat what that meant, he said that it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well, I've never met anyone from Hawaii, so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign back.

My grandson burst out laughing, why even he was enjoying this religious experience.

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is when I noticed the light had changed. So, I waved to all my sisters and brothers grinning, and drove on through the intersection.

I noticed I was the only car that got through the intersection before the light changed again and I felt kind of sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared, so I slowed the car down, leaned out of the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove away.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!

Love, Grandma

littlebit
01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
but most of the schools in East and Northeast Tennessee have been closed since last Thursday. There are 11 counties closed tomorrow, and 4 on delay. Our main roads are clear and have been since the 2nd day after the snow, but those secondary roads are still pretty bad. Mountains and Hills and Ice just do not combine too well together. Ours has not closed for a long time just due to temperature. I know it closed several year ago because the water froze up at one of the school systems. I live almost smack-dab in the middle of East and Northeast Tennesse, so I guess that would make me Westnortheast or Easteast Tennessee.:D

Xica
01-27-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm a California girl through and through. I freeze when it reaches 50. :p

raven69
01-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Its all in what we are used to,,,for myself I am so used to the cold I don't mess with a winter jacket,,till the temps in the 20s,,,but if I were to go south,,,I would probably pass out all the time from the heat. I think we all are climatized for where we live,,,lol raven69

Judy
01-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Right now we have a wind chill of about -20.
I will never get use to this cold and I have lived here all my life.
I want to move to FLORIDA :)

janelle
01-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Yes, that's the one Jolie. Thanks, I'll send it to my SIL. That's hilarious.

Well I live in Kansas and we get it all. If you don't like the weather wait a minute and you will have something else. No kidding it can go from 5 degrees in the morning to 70 in the afternoon.

I can remember waiting out for the school bus on a cold, snowy, windy morning in my school uniform skirt with the wind blowing up my behind and shivering looking for the bus lights. Could hardly see them come around the curve. Boy was I glad to see them. Nothing use to get closed very much around here but then we are very flat which helps somewhat.

Jolie Rouge
01-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Found this article today - thought it was funny ....

I don't want to sound like some wimpy Southerner, complaining about the cold weather down here while the folks up North get the real cold stuff. It's just that one of the reasons that generations of our families have lived here in the South is because we don't like cold weather. If we liked cold weather, we would live up North and probably all talk funny like the people do up there.

Let's face it... we are just not cut out for the snow and ice down here. As soon as the weather experts give the slightest indication that there might be snow, people start driving crazy and getting into accidents. The threat of a snowstorm, even one that is a few days off, causes huge traffic jams at every road construction site, bridge and tunnel in this area. Since the east coast of Virginia consists primarily of road construction sites, bridges and tunnels (clear stretches of road are few and far between), a snow prediction inevitably leads to gridlock (we should call it rednecklock).

Thankfully, the predictions of large amounts of snow in our neck of the woods are almost never correct. At the end of the day, good ole Mother Atlantic Ocean usually provides us with a warm breath of humid air in just the nick of time to turn the snow into cold rain. But the snow itself is really an afterthought. It is the mere anticipation of snow that makes us crazy down here; and believe me... the problems don't end with the roads.

Within minutes of a snow prediction, there is an immediate run on white bread, bottled water, canned soup and salt at every Walmart in town (which means there is a traffic jam on almost every street corner, since there is a Walmart at almost every intersection). We Southerners have this thing about needing to be prepared for the worst... at the last possible minute (we do have change in our panic seasons... during the summer and fall, it is hurricane time and the last-minute, absolute necessities include white bread, bottled water, canned soup and duct tape).

God Bless America.

lisahiser
01-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge
Found this article today - thought it was funny ....

If we liked cold weather, we would live up North and probably all talk funny like the people do up there.

WE DON'T TALK FUNNY!!!! ALL YOU SOUTHERNERS DO!!!! -LOL J/K!!!! ;)

other than that I can agree with most of what was said.....I thank :eek: -LOL :p

Jolie Rouge
01-29-2003, 09:42 PM
ya'll do tu tawk funny - and fast !