PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem....Help!

kidzpca
01-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I have the problem of having many many many kilobites that I cannot clear out of my computer email system.

On record there are no messages to clear but I still have the following kb left in the computer

Drafts 4,194,303 kb
Out box 4,194,300 kb
Trash 51 kb
Sent Messages 6kb

I've tried everything to clear it out.

Virus checks
maintenance
Go-back

and many many others.

I'm at my wits end at trying to clean out my computer. If anyone out there knows how to help me please pass the info.

Thanks

Wimzik
01-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Sorry, don't have a clue, just bumping for ya.

jaybird
01-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Is it your isp email program? I haven't a clue. I always thought just deleting and emptying the trash can got rid of the junk. Keep this bumped!

FreeIs4Me
01-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Did you trying clearing out Drafts & Outbox? Since those are just copies of EVERYTHING you EVER sent ANYONE, chances are you don't need most of what is in there (such as those "unsubscribe me" letters!)

I hope this is what you are referring to. If not, at least the message is getting bumped up!

Good Luck!

kidzpca
01-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Yes I have cleaned out the folders it indicates 0 (zero) messages in the folder but several bites are still found in the system and I cannot clear them no matter what I try.

I need help clearing the system. Any clues?

nooshu
01-16-2003, 06:57 AM
I don't know if this article helps:http://www.seas.upenn.edu/cets/answers/email-delete.html or:http://www.et.byu.edu/caedmpc/email_faq.htm They must just be hiding somewhere else. I hope you can find where they are and how to delete them. ;)

OOH-this one might help:http://www.ibiztips.com/email29MAR01.htm

If these don't help, could you say which email system you use. I might be able to get a more personalized article for you that would help.

kidzpca
01-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Nooshu...

my email system is outlook express if that helps you find any articles.

thank you

kidzpca
01-16-2003, 12:38 PM
yes I have done that.

ty though

nooshu
01-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Ok, I use OE, too and haven't had a problem. I looked under their help section and came up with this area:

To increase disk space by deleting stored newsgroup messages

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Maintenance tab, select the options you want for maintaining the size of all message files on your computer.
To compact, delete, or remove messages from all or specific message files now, click Clean Up Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen.<<<<<<<<<<See if that helps.

Where did you actually get this info?=
Drafts 4,194,303 kb
Out box 4,194,300 kb
Trash 51 kb
Sent Messages 6kb

I don't ever get that info, so I figured that I'd like to check what mine says, too.

kidzpca
01-16-2003, 01:34 PM
info was found in organize folders of my e-mail

DestinysGrandma
01-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I don't know if we have the same OS but, this is how I recover a lot of wasted space. Have you tried disk cleanup and internet options>general>delete files? If you have and still have the files you will have to delete manually. Go into windows explorer. Then windows> temporary internet files> content IE# and delete everything but desktop config settings. There should be 4 folders delete in all. If there isn't anything there go to the temp folder in windows and delete. Hope this helps.

nooshu
01-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by kidzpca
info was found in organize folders of my e-mail

Duh-I can't seem to find that option, can you spell it out slowly? LOL-Thanks. ;)

kidzpca
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Found the problem....I contacted MSN and they had me remove my email addresses and accounts from my computer through them and then re-start my account. Apparently when they upgraded to MSN 8 many people had there emails "crash". My email system has been restarted.

I caution anyone else whom may have to do this...print out your email addresses from your contacts. One of my emails did not have the addresses transfer.